Thailand Constitutional Referendum

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Re: Thailand Constitutional Referendum

Post by malcolminthemiddle »

Could the Yes vote be as simple as the Thais do not trust the politicians to act in the peoples best interest?
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

StevePiraq: Election is one condition of democracy, yes, but not the only one. First democracy is a luxury for rich countries. Second in an election or referendum you have the pro and cons. Both have to give their point of view and explain to people. Here it was not the case as not allowed.
This was like some countries where you only have one candidate and people had to vote for him or nothing else.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Why Thais backed a military-backed constitution
The result of the referendum on Thailand's new constitution has left many observers around the world baffled.

Why would an electorate, denied any say over who governs them since a coup two years ago, vote to approve a charter which offers them only a semi-democracy?

A charter which was condemned by human rights groups and by the two largest political parties as a means to entrench military rule for many years to come?

Unofficial results of the referendum showed more than 61% of those who voted approved the charter.

More than 58% also approved a controversial second proposal to give the now unelected Senate to right to help choose a potentially unelected prime minister. Turnout was low at around 54%.

But it was enough to give the military government, which has been losing popularity because of its erratic performance, a green light to implement its controlled return to a democratic form of governance.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-37013950
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Here is an interesting comment on Thai constitutions, it's only from Wickipedeia but it seems pretty accurate:

"The great number of charters and constitutions since 1932 is indicative of the degree of political instability in Thailand. The majority of charters and constitutions were the direct or indirect result of military coups. Charters and constitutions for much of Thai history can be thought of not as instruments of the people to control the government, but as instruments by which a government controls its people."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_of_Thailand
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Anyway, roll on constitution 21, which will kick-off when the politicians start trying to flex their muscles after the next election!
Talk is cheap
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Next election will be a joke. Elected party will be a puppet under military regime. Hope that soon or later a real leader will emerge in Thailand. As Robespierre in France, Lenin in Russia, Mao in China and Fidel Castro in Cuba.
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Thailand Constitutional Referendum

Post by Felipesed1 »

I think you would be happier living in North Korea!
It would also save us from your silly posts.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

There are democracies all around but they are not equal and Thailand is not the same as in some western countries.
Just because it is not the same as the UK or USA does not make them wrong, just different.

The Thai people voted and accepted the constitution, just accept it as that
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I'm a little confused. A friend of mine is a lawyer (Thai) and her and her daughter spent a half a day on the internet researching the constitution. They voted YES as they couldn't find any flaws in the constitution.
I have pointed out some of the basic points picked up by the world press etc They disagreed with almost every point and very articulately. They did all their research in Thai and I wonder, is the translations completely wrong or are the Thai websites so very different in their presentations than the English speaking community have done.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

HHTel, I got the same argument from my wife and her thai friends. maybe it's because of their societal upbringing and the ongoing class system that dictates what one should think. then again maybe the western press doesn't understand what's being said. who knows? in the short and probably the long term none of it affects us. as long as we satisfy the visa requirements we can continue to live here peaceably.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

StevePIraq wrote:There are democracies all around but they are not equal and Thailand is not the same as in some western countries.
Just because it is not the same as the UK or USA does not make them wrong, just different.

The Thai people voted and accepted the constitution, just accept it as that
Sorry can't do that. Oh I accept the vote went the generals way but nothing will convince me it was fair or democratic in any way, shape or form. You seem to be the only one comparing it to the West, I haven't seen anyone else doing that.

Why is it so important to you to call the vote democratic?
Talk is cheap
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

There is also the small point that a rejection of the draft constitution would have prolonged the delay to an election by at least a year whilst another draft was prepared so some voters might have considered it better to move forwards towards an election in any form rather than stand still.
aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon »

StevePIraq wrote:The Thai people voted and accepted the constitution, just accept it as that
And why can't you just accept that the vast majority of posters on here disagree with you and leave it at that, after all wouldn't that be democracy :duck:
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

At the end of the day, why are we at all bothered how the referendum was conducted. It's not going to change our lives one iota!
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

HHTel wrote:At the end of the day, why are we at all bothered how the referendum was conducted. It's not going to change our lives one iota!
Couldn't agree with you more
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali