UK embassy to be sold

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
PeteC

UK embassy to be sold

Post by PeteC »

http://pattayatoday.net/news/latest-edi ... o-be-sold/

Although a public decision by the British government isn’t expected till later this year, insiders say it is certain that the whole remaining British embassy compound in Wireless Road, Bangkok, is to be sold to the highest bidder. The current eight acre premises, which are prime real estate, are estimated to be worth at least 200 million pounds. Embassy officials first took up residence there in 1922.

A four-acre frontage of the embassy, located at the intersection of Wireless and Ploenchit roads, was sold in 2006 for 50 million pounds to Tiang Chirathivat Real Estate, part of Central Group, which owned a neighboring flagship retail property. At the time, the sale was one of Thailand’s largest property sales ever but, in the last 10 years, prime real estate in central Bangkok has soared even further in value.

The Wireless Road site is famous for its iconic buildings, including the ambassador’s historic residence, tropical gardens and a 1903 statue of Queen Victoria which was shrouded by the Japanese during their occupation of Bangkok in the early 1940s. However, she was said to be able to keep an eye on what was going on through a small tear in the sheets. Many old-time British expats recall with affection the numerous grand events which used to be held on the embassy premises, including the Ploenchit Fairs. Although smaller garden parties have continued to be held from time to time, security concerns have kept these to a minimum in recent years.

It is not uncommon for the cash-strapped British government to seek cash savings in its overseas missions. In 2005, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office announced that 30 diplomatic posts in the Pacific, Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean would be downgraded to combat terrorism, weapons proliferation and global warming. In 2012 it was announced that the British consulate in Jomtien would be closed, followed in 2014 by the news that the long-standing Chiang Mai consulate would also be shut down. Various reasons were given at the time, but included budgetary savings, the need to centralize services in Bangkok and the importance of putting more resources into emergency consular cases.

A long-serving staff member at the British embassy in Bangkok told Pattaya Today, “It’s common knowledge the remaining parts of the embassy will be sold off to create cash for the UK government. The current period of consultation is just a formality to save face and will conclude that the mega-windfall is needed to pay for vital investment elsewhere in the Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s worldwide estate.” The source added that the sell-off was also an indication of Britain’s declining prestige and importance in today’s world.

But observers also say that the need for a large British embassy in Bangkok has withered in recent years. Parts of the embassy’s traditional roles, such as issuing passports or granting visas to Thais, have been privatized or handed to outside agencies based in Trendy House Bangkok. Even support for British nationals in distress has been reduced with much less emphasis on front-line personal services and strong suggestions to read on-line information instead. Recurrent statements by the British government have stressed that such moves apply to all missions overseas, not just in Thailand.

Embassy staff and remaining services will relocate either to a smaller compound in Bangkok or, more likely, to some characterless office block along with most other, smaller diplomatic missions in the metropolis. The recently-retired British ambassador, Mark Kent, is moving to the same role in Argentina and reportedly said he would miss the majestic residence which had been his home for four years. Kent’s replacement in Thailand is Brian Davidson. There are rumours of a public petition to try and save the embassy site from the sell-off, but the track record of such campaigns in Thailand is not encouraging.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Re: UK embassy to be sold

Post by centermid7 »

" The source added that the sell-off was also an indication of Britain’s declining prestige and importance in today’s world."

Amen to that!

Nothing to Cheer about here but . . . Cheers!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ When I read the article the first time I thought that was really uncalled for and served no purpose. It's not a quote, as whoever said it probably told them not to quote him/her. Whereas all the text directly above is noted as a quote. Sounds like someone simply has an ax to grind. I wouldn't want anyone to say something like that concerning my country, true or not, if it were ever to find itself a bad position. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The UK Government are doing it in the UK, consolidating into purpose built facilities, and saving the taxpayer £Billions, so why not in Thailand?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

If it's saving money and putting a couple of hundred million in the coffers, why the hell not. In the same vein, stop providing aid to the likes of India, China and corrupt regimes and they might just save the tax payer the odd billion there!! :banghead:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It still gives a bad taste in the mouth considering that land was donated to the UK by Thailand.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Old buildings are high maintenance, and not always suitable for modern technology etc. Dump the old stuff for loads of cash, and purpose build on a green field site - it makes so much sense.

Doesn't leave any bad taste in my mouth - my last job was project managing the closure MOD establishments in the Bath area. It's just natural progression.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

But the MOD properties were funded in the UK unlike the embassy on foreign gifted soil!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

HHTel wrote:It still gives a bad taste in the mouth considering that land was donated to the UK by Thailand.
I can't honestly imagine Thailand has not benefited. Would I be correct in assuming that the land/property for the Thai Embassy in London was also "gifted" to Thailand by the UK?
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm sure they'll gift us a new bit of soil, or we'll just leave. I just couldn't get sentimental over an old building in a dirty city. Old buildings are not designed for the modern world. Move to a green field site where you can have modern innovations such as car parking, and away from Bangkok traffic.

My other job before I finished work was project managing the roll out of hardware/software for a gigantic new IT system worldwide - you wouldn't believe what problems these old buildings presented. Moving to a purpose built location makes life so much easier.

If it's prime real estate, I can't see the Thais getting too upset either - a win/win situation.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

If the UK gifted land for the Thai Embassy then it has no comparison to the British Embassy in Bangkok.

"I'm sure they'll gift us a new bit of soil"

Why should they after the UK making millions from a gift.

Why would the Thais be happy about it when the 'buyer' gives funds for the benefit of the UK economy and of no value to the Thai economy.

Historically, the UK has been accused (with some truth in it) of exploiting the 'old empire'.

Sorry, but on this occasion I have to agree to disagree.