Drought-hit Thailand sends up the Royal Rainmakers

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Drought-hit Thailand sends up the Royal Rainmakers

Post by hhfarang »

An aircraft from the Thai Department of Royal Rainmaking deposit a sodium chloride-based material above clouds in Nakhon Sawan in an effort to produce rain (AFP Photo/Lilian Suwanrumpha)

"Bangkok (AFP) - When drought strikes, Thailand turns to its Royal Rainmakers -- an airborne team which seeds the clouds over the kingdom.

The country is the grip of its worst drought for decades, with 22 of its 76 provinces affected.

So the Thai Department of Royal Rainmaking is sending up its planes to try to cajole the clouds into producing rain.

"The first step is making clouds by spraying salt-powder," according to Wiraphon Sudchada, a scientist who is part of the team.

"Then we mix calcium chloride and calcium oxide and spray it into clouds carrying humidity to make them bigger," he added.

"We also spray ice beneath the clouds so that it will rain faster."

The current drought has hit northern Thailand hardest, raising fears of taps running dry as levels in reservoirs dip to record lows.

Last year's rains came late and infrequently and desperate farmers hope the heavens will open come the arrival of the monsoon season in June.

Rainmaking has a storied history in Thailand. People credit their revered current monarch King Bhumibol Adulyadej with driving rainmaking projects back in the late 1960s."

https://news.yahoo.com/drought-hit-thai ... .html?nf=1
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
lomuamart

Re: Drought-hit Thailand sends up the Royal Rainmakers

Post by lomuamart »

A couple of my neighbours are quite high up in the rainmakers. They're always busy at this time of year and away from HH most of the time. The senior of the two is/was in Jordan very recently doing the rainmaking there as well.
I should tell them to concentrate on HH!!
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Issan has it's 'Rocket Festivals' normally around the 2nd weekend in May..which I always assumed was a final attempt to bring down rain?..
..or for the farmers is it just another clever way of public gambling..? :wink:
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

The "stories" are just that - stories.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

As far as I've read, the rainmaking procedure (patented by HRH) has a 60% success rate. He is recognised as THE world authority on rainmaking. He supplies his teams to other drought ridden countries free of charge and has had a recognisable success in those countries.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Here's an image I posted a year ago its not just the crops failing drought causes severe damage.
Attachments
FB_20150708_14_21_15_Saved_Picture.jpg
FB_20150708_14_21_15_Saved_Picture.jpg (179.57 KiB) Viewed 1376 times
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

"Parched fields force Thailand to look beyond rice
AFP Videos
April 3, 2016

Thailand has long served as one of the globe's main rice bowls, but chronic water shortages are pushing the country to move away from a grain that dominates its fields and has defined a way of life for generations."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/video/parche ... 54811.html
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

HHTel wrote:As far as I've read, the rainmaking procedure (patented by HRH) has a 60% success rate. He is recognised as THE world authority on rainmaking. He supplies his teams to other drought ridden countries free of charge and has had a recognisable success in those countries.
How funny! You sure? Did your figures come for TAT? Real knowledgeable about weather modification are you?

Then one would wonder with a "60% success rate" how is it that Thailand faces it's worst drought in many decades?

Cue Gene Kelly!

Cheers
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

How funny! You sure? Did your figures come for TAT?
You can find information at the BBC, Australia, Singapore and others. Australia sought permission from HRH to use his system as he holds the patent issued by the European Patent Office. Out of all the various 'cloud seeding' projects, his seems to be recognised as the most effective.

So, no, it's not that funny!!!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Just a friendly warning centermid....... Be very careful who you criticise!
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

"Drought hurts Thai New Year"

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/thai-dr ... 00100.html

"World's largest water fight to go on despite crippling drought"

http://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/arts-cultu ... ng-drought

"Thailand tones down Songkran"

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

IMHO Hua Hin has had the craziest Songkran that I can remember. OK, Hua Hin is not the whole of Thailand, but................
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

"China releases dam water to ease SE Asia drought"

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/04/c ... 26099.html
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

So there is a drought, what does Thailand do, very little in terms of water management, of course Thailand has a Songkran to keep the illiterate and tourists happy, forget the religious aspect it is supposed to relate to . Real water resource management, next to nothing. Car wash shops that use clean water every time, other places that seem to have hoses running continually. It is a real shame Thailand refuses to accept responsibility for it's natural resources but then again as a "Farang" who gives a toss.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

"of course Thailand has a Songkran to keep the illiterate and tourists happy"

:wink: