B700m park to honour Thai kings in Hua Hin

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Re: B700m park to honour Thai kings in Hua Hin

Post by centermid7 »

I took a peek as I was going by on the motorcycle a couple of days ago just from the roadway. Two of the statues were in place at that time. I had expected them to really "stand out" but not so much IMO as they kinda blend in with the trees on the low hills in the background.

Not the visual pop I had expected.

We'll see how it goes. There will be more erections and maybe a big pop at the end.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Installations of king statutes in progress before official opening August 19

As the August 19 official opening of the Ratchaphakdi museum park in Hua Hin where the seven giant 30-ton each bronze statutes of the Thai kings from the Sukhothai to Rattanakosin periods are to be installed is imminent, the Royal Thai Army personnel and civilian craftsmen are working around the clock to install the statutes on the foundation bases.

The opening of the park to be highlighted by the sacred worship ceremony for the Thai great kings in history will be chaired by Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha.

So far four bronze statutes of the kings were installed on bases at the park which is inside the Army Non Commissioned Officers School in Hua Hin.They are King Ramkhamhaeng, King Naresuan, King Narai, and King Taksin.

Today King Rama V statute will be installed on the base .

Yesterday the Army performed a rite to install the statue of fabled King Taksin on the foundation while the bronze statue of King Rama V from Bang Bon molding factory in Bangkok arrived at the site last night. The ceremony lasted 18 minutes.

The statutes of King Rama I and King Rama IV are now being decorated and will be transported this week to Hua Hin, ready before the opening ceremony on August 19.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/instal ... -august-19
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

As the August 19 official opening of the Ratchaphakdi museum park in Hua Hin where the seven giant 30-ton each bronze statutes of the Thai kings from the Sukhothai to Rattanakosin periods are to be installed is imminent....
They only announced this park on May 13th so three months to build it is quite impressive. I suppose they must have planned it before then as I struggle to see how you could get those huge statues carved, molded and cast in such a short time.
dalmatiandave
Professional
Professional

Post by dalmatiandave »

Left home today at 9.15am on way to Bangkok. Passed one of the statues around 9.40am heading towards Hua Hin.

Certainly was a wide load, my girlfriend was impressed I knew exactly what it was. Quite a convoy of police vehicles.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Why oh why do they transport such things in the daytime. The nights are long and traffic sparse.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Quite out of the blue, Mrs BB told me that I was taking her down to look at the datoo this afternoon. I eventually worked it out that she wanted to visit the park to see how the statues were progressing.

So off we went in the pouring rain :cry: to look at the statues. I must admit, I had concerns whether I would be able to get in - I was unlikely to meet a high ranking officer on the way.

I drove down to Suan Son U-Turn and doubled back a few yards rather drive across the yellow lines outside what i perceived to be the entrance.

As we approached, there were a few military police lined up. I turned in and put my window down expecting Mrs BB having to blag her way in. They all saluted (obviously knew who I was :D ), and I just drove in unhindered.

The grassland we passed looked brilliant, just like a real UK park - I thought the Hua Hin City groundsman could take a lesson.

We then drove onto a massive hardstand with just as big floodlights (each about 4 times larger than Hua Hin City are installing). Over to the right, a huge area was set aside for car parking, and there must have been a few hundred cars there. The was some Army Big Wig ceremony going on, so access was limited.

I took my mandatory photos and we left. The statues were very impressive though (apologies for the poor quality, but it was raining).
From the car park
From the car park
DSC01046.jpg (80.96 KiB) Viewed 846 times
DSC01047.jpg
DSC01047.jpg (117.67 KiB) Viewed 846 times
DSC01048.jpg
DSC01048.jpg (59.36 KiB) Viewed 846 times
DSC01049.jpg
DSC01049.jpg (56.03 KiB) Viewed 846 times
DSC01050.jpg
DSC01050.jpg (54.5 KiB) Viewed 846 times
DSC01051.jpg
DSC01051.jpg (73.62 KiB) Viewed 846 times

DSC01053.jpg
DSC01053.jpg (97.59 KiB) Viewed 846 times
Waiting to be mounted
Waiting to be mounted
DSC01054.jpg (101.63 KiB) Viewed 846 times
Waiting to be mounted
Waiting to be mounted
DSC01056.jpg (108.84 KiB) Viewed 846 times
Panoramic of park
Panoramic of park
DSC01060.JPG (41.69 KiB) Viewed 846 times
Attachments
Panoramic of park
Panoramic of park
DSC01059.JPG (43.86 KiB) Viewed 846 times
Panoramic of park
Panoramic of park
DSC01058.JPG (47.36 KiB) Viewed 846 times
Panoramic of park
Panoramic of park
DSC01057.JPG (42.17 KiB) Viewed 846 times
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Army backs B16m toilet, shop spend

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... shop-spend

"Army chief Chalermchai Sitthisad on Thursday defended a decision to spend 15.9 million baht on building shops and public toilets at Rajabhakti Park in Pra­chuap Khiri Khan.

Responding to recent criticism of the project that has flared up on social media, he said the military is ready to disclose full details to the public to counter claims of massive overspending. The park is located in Hua Hin.".....
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

............. but they've already got toilets :?

Points 41; Position 18
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

On my one visit I was amused-- a bus load of Chinese tourists came, got out of the bus, took photos with themselves in the foreground then back on the bus and away in less than 15 mins. Although to be fair I have seen European tourist "do" Medieval Cathedrals in about the same time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm fascinated by that statement oakdale. What do you find to do there that takes longer than 15 minutes?

Points 41; Position 18
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

you are correct BB, I only stayed for 16 mins--it was just the earnest--Been there, done that, got the photos --that I found amusing.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I always call in as I pass with visitors - it's always a very quick stop. They always say the statues are amazing, but once you've seen them, you've seen them. Your statement had me thinking I'd been rushing them, and missing something really amazing.

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote:As we approached, there were a few military police lined up. I turned in and put my window down expecting Mrs BB having to blag her way in. They all saluted (obviously knew who I was ), and I just drove in unhindered.
But see, you are a VIP!
I think the article is more about spending more money on it, rather than the toilets and shops per se.

Surprised they haven't started charging Farangs an entrance fee!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

There is a big sign saying Farangs have to report to somebody before entering, but I've never bothered.

Points 41; Position 18
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:24 am There is a big sign saying Farangs have to report to somebody before entering, but I've never bothered.
Just shows that foreigners are not welcome
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali