Thailand tourism situation

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Thailand tourist slump continues

Post by dtaai-maai »

oakdale160 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:06 pm ... it also annoys me that you can also have a long wait at immigration when getting OUT of the country.
Not if you're in a wheelchair.

I booked my ticket through the travel agent (Western?) on Petchkasem. The lady saw my walking stick and asked if I'd like her to book me a wheekchair. The thought hadn't occurred to me, but I thought "Why not?"

A nice lad with a chair met me at the Emirates desk, I was whisked through a separate security control and through passport control, up to the departure lounge. Got some coffee and a burger, then had a couple of hours wait before departure, when the lad returned and wheeled me to the door of the plane.

I thought that was that, but I had the same excellent service at Abu Dhabi. It was only on arrival at Manchester that the wheels fell off... (pun intended!)
This is the way
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

Good to read you're safe bak home DM.
If there is anything the stubborn bunch of people stranded here can do for you is just to ask.
I am one for sure, even if I am moving away from the South to begin a new life in North East in a couple of weeks.
You are heartily welcome to Korat if ever in that region of Thailand.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Thank you for the kind thoughts, Norseman. Actually, it's all gone much more smoothly then I expected, and so far I'm thoroughly enjoying the move. I'll give a fuller account on a new thread at some point.
This is the way
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

dtaai-maai wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:24 am I'll give a fuller account on a new thread at some point.
Look forward to that DM. Hope you're keeping well.

VS x
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

dtaai-maai wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:24 am Thank you for the kind thoughts, Norseman. Actually, it's all gone much more smoothly then I expected, and so far I'm thoroughly enjoying the move. I'll give a fuller account on a new thread at some point.
Good for you, glad things are working out well and look forward to the new thread in the near future. :thumb: :cheers:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:15 pm
oakdale160 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:06 pm ... it also annoys me that you can also have a long wait at immigration when getting OUT of the country.
Not if you're in a wheelchair.

I booked my ticket through the travel agent (Western?) on Petchkasem. The lady saw my walking stick and asked if I'd like her to book me a wheekchair. The thought hadn't occurred to me, but I thought "Why not?"

A nice lad with a chair met me at the Emirates desk, I was whisked through a separate security control and through passport control, up to the departure lounge. Got some coffee and a burger, then had a couple of hours wait before departure, when the lad returned and wheeled me to the door of the plane.

I thought that was that, but I had the same excellent service at Abu Dhabi. It was only on arrival at Manchester that the wheels fell off... (pun intended!)
My Mother in law travels with us and uses a cane. It was suggested a few years ago from China Air that we request a wheelchair. Have gotten excellent service except for one time in Guanzhou (sp?) where they wheeled her to a corner and left her.

The benefit is we get to accompany her, early boarding, special imm lines, etc.

There have been a few places where it may have taken a little longer (no Imm lines, have to wait for the plane to empty) but rare
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Nereus wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:22 pm This doesn't help:
...........................................................................................
Don Mueang passengers suffer in four-hour queue

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... queue-much

The truth finally comes out instead of all the dancing. Hats off to this brave man for speaking up. Pete :cheers:

Don Mueang queues due to 'staff shortage'

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... f-shortage
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It's happened again this past Wednesday at S'bumi. 4,600 arriving passengers at the same time. :shock: Pete

Photos at link.......

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/immigr ... -visitors/
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

"Quest's Profitable Moment

I am in Thailand on assignment ... where once again I am amazed at the energy and dynamism of Southeast Asia. I am also witnessing how this country is truly at a crossroads.

Take tourism: It's a mature industry more than a half-century old. This year Thailand will welcome a record 35 million international visitors. Now, the tourism minister wants to shift the emphasis from the quantity to the quality of tourists coming. The minister told me she wants to increase the length of stay, and the amount of daily spend from visitors. That's not to say Thailand won't remain a haven for backpackers, but the country also wants to attract medical and wellness tourism along with higher spending luxury guests.

What perhaps is most remarkable is how the country is sustaining its tourism industry while at the same time facing a terrorist threat. A bomb blast at a Bangkok shrine two years killed 20 people.

Tourism has also survived the military coup in 2014. With no sign of civilian rule coming back anytime soon, tourists seemingly don't mind the current lack of democracy.

Just last week there was the bizarre story of Yingluck Shinawatra, the former prime minister who absconded from justice. Having been convicted of malfeasance in office, she escaped across the border before she could be sentenced. A scandal, to be sure, on many levels.

Even the monarchy is on an uncharted path following the death last year of the much-revered King Bhumibol Adulyadej after a 70-year reign.

Throughout all of this, tourists continue to flock to Thailand to enjoy the chaos of Bangkok, the beaches of Phuket and the mountains of Chiang Mai -- and that doesn't seem likely to change anytime soon. The land of a thousand smiles is still grinning, no matter what happens."

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/01/investi ... index.html
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

What a load of c**p and not even factual! Shameful reporting.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Seems pretty harmless to me, every country that relies on tourist dollars talks their tourism up, and the official figure for arrivals in 2016 was indeed 32 million withJan-April 2017 showing 12 million. The only serious error is that Yingluck has not been pronounced guilty (or might have been, "may I have envelope please").
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

2 thoughts--Mid Sept to mid-Dec, always seems to be the low low low season. Schools are back and weather still OK in Europe. Pattaya with its HUGE less expensive golf tourism gets a few more than HH

Does anybody think that Yingluck's situation, caused one tourist to decide to go elsewhere? Those posters who spend most of the year out of Thai will testify how little Thai news ever makes the media outside Thai. Thai crimes, the island murders do however make headlines.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

oakdale160 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:19 am 2 thoughts--Mid Sept to mid-Dec, always seems to be the low low low season. Schools are back and weather still OK in Europe. Pattaya with its HUGE less expensive golf tourism gets a few more than HH

Does anybody think that Yingluck's situation, caused one tourist to decide to go elsewhere? Those posters who spend most of the year out of Thai will testify how little Thai news ever makes the media outside Thai. Thai crimes, the island murders do however make headlines.
If you're not Thai, have no connection to Thailand and live outside of Thailand then you're probably not interested and not informed about Thailand and why should you be?
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Oakdale, on it's own of course not, but as part of a picture of a country where military coups take place with guns on the street, quite heavy violence/deaths in red shirt protests in the capital city, Muslim separatists bomb tourist towns, and prime ministers feel the need to flee when they are not been even found guilty may make tourists wonder about the application of law there.

They should know these things, as they owe it to themselves to do a little research on their intended destinations or expect the worst, viz. the Russian who has been arrested in Myanmar for wearing sandals in the temple, the Chinese arrested in Germany for proffering a Nazi salute, even the idiots arrested for drunken sex on the beach in Dubai, etc. :)

Plus maybe not everyone's as gung ho as some. Just my two Baht.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I wonder where all these extra tourists are going, if not Hua Hin?

I admit to not believing the figures, it is after all, a military dictatorship.

But where do they all go? I haven't noticed the BTS, MRT or Airport link bursting with tourists in Bkk. The only time I notice a difference is in the food area at the basement of Siam Paragon (they ignore the 4th floor). Maybe they're all here for the shopping, as after all, the baht is very weak.......
Talk is cheap