Govt to increase alcohol tax again

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Juice81

Beer tax hike

Post by Juice81 »

I heard there is going be a significant tax hike on beer and other mild drinks in Thailand...! Does anyone know how much actually the prices go up? Or is this still just a speculation? :roll:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Govt to increase alcohol tax again

Post by HHTel »

The increase in tax is fixed. Retail prices are up to the seller and is speculation. Honest retailers will just pass on the tax hike. But not everyone is honest.
Juice81

Post by Juice81 »

HHTel wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:52 pm The increase in tax is fixed. Retail prices are up to the seller and is speculation. Honest retailers will just pass on the tax hike. But not everyone is honest.
So business as usual! :cheers:
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

HHTel wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:52 pm The increase in tax is fixed. Retail prices are up to the seller and is speculation. Honest retailers will just pass on the tax hike. But not everyone is honest.
Picked up 2 crates of soda water on Tuesday from a mom and pop shophouse on soi 102
had the requisite 260 baht to pay. Owner said not enough, now 140 baht a crate! Government Tax! I think she was confusing it Farung Tax!
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

130 0r 140 Baht - a lot cheaper than we pay. I guess I'm the one paying Farang tax :cry:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Price didn't up at Makro and BigC, so stock up your alcoholic drinks.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Why is tax going up on soda water? Not a sugar beverage and of course no alcohol. Swindling once again? :roll: Pete :cheers:

EDIT: If the old lady charged it, more than likely she was charged it by the supplier as he knows these Mom & Pops don't know any better and won't argue. :banghead:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Sugary drinks also be subject to higher taxes. Soft drink taxes will be Bt0.13 to Bt 0.50 per bottle, but sugar-free soft-drink will be taxed less by Bt0.28 Bt0.36 per bottle.
Source: The Nation
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:34 pm 130 0r 140 Baht - a lot cheaper than we pay. I guess I'm the one paying Farang tax :cry:
We normally have the Singha 400ml ( slightly large the the single use bottles) 130 Baht for 24 just change the empties over for full ones. Shop at down near the railway crossing is still 130 Baht.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:cry: I guess I'm paying for Tesco or Makro aircon :cry:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Our local wholesale shop has increased the soda crates from 125 to 135 (Singha 400ml). Why? There is no way that the gov. has increased the tax on it - it's just carbonated water. Just bought a box of large Chang beer from Makro and it's 588 - as I don't normally buy it, I'm not sure if it has increased. I prefer Archa, but for some peculiar reason it has disappeared from Makro and Tesco. :?

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Vital Spark wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:33 pm Our local wholesale shop has increased the soda crates from 125 to 135 (Singha 400ml). Why? There is no way that the gov. has increased the tax on it - it's just carbonated water. Just bought a box of large Chang beer from Makro and it's 588 - as I don't normally buy it, I'm not sure if it has increased. I prefer Archa, but for some peculiar reason it has disappeared from Makro and Tesco. :?

VS
See my earlier post and check it out with the official announcements. Yes, Soda Water is taxed as is coffee and green tea!
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

image.png
image.png (192.44 KiB) Viewed 457 times
Full article Bangkok Post 17 September 2017

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... e-in-b12bn
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

But according to the chart above, carbonated drinks without sugar (soda water) have their taxes reduced. I'm confused.

VS :?
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Vital Spark wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:33 pm Our local wholesale shop has increased the soda crates from 125 to 135 (Singha 400ml). Why? There is no way that the gov. has increased the tax on it - it's just carbonated water. Just bought a box of large Chang beer from Makro and it's 588 - as I don't normally buy it, I'm not sure if it has increased. I prefer Archa, but for some peculiar reason it has disappeared from Makro and Tesco. :?

VS
According to the Bangkok Post the price of carbonated drinks without sugar is meant to decrease i.e. Soda water. A producers price rise??