Govt to increase alcohol tax again

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Big Boy

Re: Govt to increase alcohol tax again

Post by Big Boy »

I'd disagree with that statement Steve. Certainly it has reduced the number of smokers.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Or could that be because of the UK health campaigns targeting smokers. In Thailand I never see any anti smoking or drinking campaigns.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Farang
Ace
Ace

Post by Farang »

Four things are inevitable:

1. Death.
2. Taxes.
3. The increase in taxes, including death tax.
4. Complaints about taxes and their increase, but much fewer complaints about death.
"There's no plausible or convincing reason, certainly no evidential one, to believe that there is such an entity (= deity) and that all observable phenomena, including the cosmological ones... are explicable without the hypothesis; you don't need the assumption."
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

StevePIraq wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:07 am Or could that be because of the UK health campaigns targeting smokers. In Thailand I never see any anti smoking or drinking campaigns.
There have been many but in Thai. They wouldn't aim these campaigns at 'farangs' which is probably why the majority of us don't notice.. Every Lent there is usually a call to support 'no-drinking'.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My son usually tries to give up drinking alcohol for Buddhist Lent. He's managed the full period twice so far.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Good for him. Some effort is better than nothing.

Wait! Who am I to talk? Smoked a pack a day since 13 and only had a few half-hearted attempts to quit! I've never tried to quit drinking although I'm not a heavy drinker.
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

Just realised it is the 6th march and went to the restaurant to check and panic buy. Still 45 Bt for a small Heineken or San Miguel light. The place is busy and gets daily deliveries so I guess it has had no impact yet so why are bars putting prices up? Visited the large wholesaler on Palau road last night for a box of wine and no price increases observed. Sounds like it is coming though :roll: Until then :cheers:

Crazy 88
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I think it's expected in the middle of the year. I'm guessing that many are speculating on the retail price of booze going up by up to 150%. The way I read it is that the TAX will be increased by up to that, not the retail price. Previously tax was based on wholesale and now they're moving it to retail. I think we'll find that the increase on retail price will be nothing like the speculation.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

People were confused about tax ceilings stipulated in the new excise law, said Somchai Poolsavasdi, director-general of the Excise Depart-ment. The tax ceiling on beer, wine and liquor will be 30 per cent of retail prices, or Bt3,000 per litre of alcohol. The new tax ceiling on cigarettes is much higher, at 90 per cent of the retail price.

“The ceiling rates are set for the next 20 years. But the applied rate will be much lower initially as we do not want to increase the tax burden,” Somchai said.

Prapas Kong-Ied, deputy permanent secretary of the Finance Ministry, echoed Somchai’s remarks, saying that making tax rates too high would encourage smuggling, and then the cost of law enforcement would rise.

“It is not worth the effort,” he said, trying to allay fears of a sharp rise in the prices of alcoholic beverages.
Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/bu ... m/30308016
buksida

Post by buksida »

SIN TAXES TAKE A HIKE SATURDAY
Cigarettes will be more expensive and the price of booze will rise or tumble under new sin tax rules which will take effect Saturday.

While cigarette prices are expected to rise by an average of 30 baht per standard pack, the rewritten code fundamentally changes how taxes on alcohol are assessed and collected.

Government spokesman Lt. Gen. Sansern Kaewkamnerd said Tuesday the cabinet had approved new excise taxes based on alcohol content rather than a straight percentage of retail price. Taxes will also be collected at wholesale points of sale instead of the breweries.

Although the Excise Department said in February that alcohol will not be taxed at a 150 percent rate of the retail price, the new excise tax rates still spell higher prices across the board.

Apisak Tantivorawong of the Finance Ministry explained that the complex tax rules will effectively mean high-alcohol content drinks such as rice whisky will be taxed more than those with lower alcohol by volume.

Higher taxes were also announced for playing cards.

The specific changes will be published in the Royal Gazette on Friday, Sansern said, adding that the excise tax changes came at the request of the Finance Ministry.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/busi ... -saturday/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

My local watering hole advised a standard 330ml beer is to go up 30baht, they didn't know what the increase would be for a 500ml
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

CONSUMERS are needlessly worried that a new excise bill will drive the prices of alcoholic beverages into the stratosphere, the Excise Department says.

The bill, soon to be published in the Royal Gazette, has caught public attention after many people came to believe, wrongly, that the new tax rates will double the retail prices of beer, wine and liquor. People were confused about tax ceilings stipulated in the new excise law, said Somchai Poolsavasdi, director-general of the Excise Depart-ment. The tax ceiling on beer, wine and liquor will be 30 per cent of retail prices, or Bt3,000 per litre of alcohol. The new tax ceiling on cigarettes is much higher, at 90 per cent of the retail price. “The ceiling rates are set for the next 20 years. But the applied rate will be much lower initially as we do not want to increase the tax burden,” Somchai said.
I see retail price is the price you pay less the current tax element. Therefore the tax ceiling would be 30% of that price. I don't see the huge increases that people are talking about.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/bu ... m/30308016
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

"Sin taxes"...how about taxing the brothels and soapy massage parlours too that are everywhere (tourist areas first!).

Nice cash grab generals.

Edit - The nanny state is making it's way over here well and truly....sadly.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

I do hate the title 'Sin Taxes'. Since when has smoking and drinking become a sin? Lying, stealing, and killing are sins in my book (and the books of most religions). All of which are constantly being committed by those who are in charge of the country.

Not only is the minimum wage for low income workers not being increased, the current regime are increasing the cost of those 'luxuries' that make life just that little bit more bearable for those living in a rat infested, leaky-roofed tin hut.

But what do they care?

VS :cuss:
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Higher taxes on purchasing playing cards, omg what next.