Power to the people; will Thais take to the street?

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
dr dave soul monsta
Deceased
Deceased

POLITICAL TENSION: Keep the King out of rows: Surayud

Post by dr dave soul monsta »

[ the Nation]

POLITICAL TENSION: Keep the King out of rows: Surayud
Published on November 29, 2005

Monarchy should not be a part of political disputes: privy councillor. General Surayud Chulanont, a member of the Privy Council, called yesterday for people in-volved in political disputes to stop referring to His Majesty the King to win public support. “Recent references to the monarchy were inappropriate. The institution should not be involved in politics. Political disputes should be solved in a political way,â€
"I don't often agree with the RSPCA as i believe it is an animals duty to be on my plate at supper time"
buksida

Post by buksida »

Its been plain from day one that most foreigners are anti TRT as their policies have made our lives harder from the day they came into power. The exceptions are the filthy rich ones which are not the majority. The government still maintains the same xenophobic policies towards us; come to Thailand for a short time, spend all your cash then f. off.

When Thais start to become affected by government action and policies then something must happen. Sondhi's primary concern is freedom of press and when Thaksin tried to shut him down by using and abusing his position Sondhi took it to the people and told them what had been going on.

While it is true that TRT's following is the lower income and rural Thai, the farmer, its also true that the future of the country lies in the hands of the educated and the middle classes, people who run businesses, and professionals in their field, who will stand up for democracy and are open to the truth. The students of today are the leaders of tomorrow, one may ask why Thaksin himself chose to be educated overseas.

I've already ordered my yellow t-shirt. Viva la revolution!
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

buksida wrote:Viva la revolution!
I'll second that but it's Viva la revolucion! - with an acute accent over the 'o' :wink:
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

I must say that in thai politics, nothing should be taken for granted.
I thougt that Sondhi Limthongkul was an honest and free-spoken man, but after reading the Nation today I'm not so sure of him any longer.

The days of cheerleading
Published on December 03, 2005

Media tycoon Sondhi Limthongkul said during a recent interview in his Thai Day newspaper that freedom of expression was his only motive in his ongoing confrontation with the government. But it is no secret that Sondhi once blacklisted a number of critical intellectuals and NGOs from speaking out against the government in his newspapers.

Regular critics such as Thailand Development Research Institute researcher Somkiat Tangkitvanich, Senator Chirmsak Pinthong and economist Ammar Siamwalla were barred from expressing their views in Sondhi’s papers when he enjoyed a healthy relationship with Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

These critics are now more than welcome to vent their anti-Thaksin rage in Sondhi’s newspapers, but most of them are still understandably suspicious of him.

Between 2001 and the middle of this year, Sondhi’s Manager Media Group acted as a cheerleader for the Thaksin government. But Manager Daily is full of anti-Thaksin rhetoric nowadays.

Here you'll find the full article:
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2005/12 ... 25680.html
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Norseman,
Yes we should look at both sides of the story however I know who I'll be siding with. This gets even better:

Supporting Sondhi could be criminal, MP warns
A senior official of the Thai Rak Thai party yesterday warned members of the public to stay away from Sondhi Limthongkul’s political talk show in Lumphini Park next Friday, claiming that those who attend could face charges of conspiracy to topple the government.

In a thinly veiled threat, Vichet Kasemthongsri, the party’s deputy secretary-general, said that those who attend the Thailand This Week show-cum-political rally on December 9 may be enticed to commit an offence under Article 63 of the Constitution, which prohibits the overthrow of a constitutionally elected government through unconstitutional means.

Vichet’s warning comes amid growing political tensions since Sondhi, founder of the Manager Media Group and chairman of ThaiDay’s editorial board, earlier announced that he would mount a major political offensive against the prime minister. Sondhi has said he wants 500,000 people to attend the show.

As such, December 9 is widely seen by most political observers as a crucial day in determining the outcome of the ongoing conflict between Sondhi and Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Aside from prohibiting the overthrow of a constitutionally elected government, Article 63 also allows members of the public to ask the Supreme Attorney General and the Constitutional Court to take legal action against offenders. Individual offenders face criminal action and political parties face closure if found guilty.

“It’s high time for any politically motivated movements to end their campaigns to overthrow the government since the Thaksin government has been elected by the majority of the people under the democratic system with His Majesty the King as head of state. These movements have caused confusion and fostered suspicion among the public [over the legitimacy of the government],â€
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Good grief,
People can't critise a government in a supposed democracy without the possibility of facing a charge of attempting a coup?
Really, someone should be making notes of the quotes these morons are making. There'll be enough to fill a novel soon and it would make interesting reading when looking back in a few years time.
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

lomuamart wrote:Good grief,
People can't critise a government in a supposed democracy without the possibility of facing a charge of attempting a coup?
Really, someone should be making notes of the quotes these morons are making.
Quite right lomu.
But the King has already spoken about this essential point.
As far as I understand this is in fact the core of what the king pronounced in his very honest and beautiful speech.
Let us all salute the king for his honesty and the courage he proved last night!!!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Interesting article in The Nation about Thaksin's failing popularity:

Beginning of the end?

December 13 , 2005 - When the next election comes about, or when the next government is formed, Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra won’t be making a comeback.

Hard to believe, perhaps, but insiders and political watchers are looking at the possibility of non-Thaksin politics with growing interest, as the “five pillarsâ€
Farang
Ace
Ace

Whassup?

Post by Farang »

"

"

Did power go to the people; did Thais take to the street?
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

Published on Jan 13 , 2006

Media tycoon Sondhi Limthongkul Friday played video footages during his Thailand Weekly talk show to prove that Environment Minister Yongyuth Tiyapairat had organised employees of the National Parks Department to rally at the Lumpini Park in Bangkok to confront anti-government rally.

The video clips showed young men being gathered at several spots in several northern provinces, including Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai and Trat.

Sondhi said the director-general of the department would finance the trips by park employees to Bangkok through expense reimbursement later.

Sondhi played the clips and warned whom he called park temporary employees that he had taken pictures of all of them so they should not many any violent move or they could end up in jail.

He said the employees were hired Bt300 a day to come to Bangkok to counter the anti-government rally.
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Whassup?

Post by caller »

Farang wrote:"

"

Did power go to the people; did Thais take to the street?
No disrespect, but if I was in your position, I'd rather they didn't. If control by authority goes, whatever the reality or otherwise, I wouldn't want to be a farang looking for support, or expect that I would be come out of it lightly. I would expect the worse.
Talk is cheap
Farang
Ace
Ace

Re: Whassup?

Post by Farang »

caller wrote: No disrespect, but if I was in your position, I'd rather they didn't. If control by authority goes, whatever the reality or otherwise, I wouldn't want to be a farang looking for support, or expect that I would be come out of it lightly. I would expect the worse.
Indirectly you answer my question; Thais did not take to the street in this matter that is purely Thai.
Except, of course, that the Big Thief is a CIA-trained and financed puppet on gaawd ol' Bubba's string.

Revolution, disturbances, skirmishes or any other sort of rabble-rousing is least of my worries here.

¡Viva la anarquía!
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

20,000 police mobilised for Sondhi's rally

Published on Jan 23 , 2006 The Nation.

The Metropolitan Police will deploy 20,000 policemen to keep law and order at Sanam Luang on February 4 when media tycoon Sondhi Limthongkul will organise a massive rally against Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Pol Lt Gen Wiroj Jantarangsri said 20,000 policemen would be deployed to prevent any untoward incident.

Sondhi called his audience to come out to Sanam Luang and he would march to the Royal Plaza to submit a petition to His Majesty through Privy Council Chairman Gen Prem Tinsulanonda, calling for constitutional amendments and political reform as well as ouster of Thaksin.
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

Radio Thailand: early protesters peaceful

Members of at least 10 anti-government organisations began to gather this morning in front of the Government House and King Rama V Equestrian Statue, said Radio Thailand. Meanwhile, metropolitan police officers handed out the first of more than 20,000 instructional and guideline leaflets to the demonstrators.

Groups of teachers, anti-EGAT privatisation and anti-alcohol protesters were preparing for a demonstration this afternoon, led by media mogul Sondhi Limthongkul

Around the protest area, police made signs and posters to ensure that the gatherers would remain peaceful and follow the law, to prevent any possible unrest. Buddhist teach-ins were staged nearby, in an attempt to use dharma principles to control the situation.

Officials also prepared mobile restrooms and security units, to provide convenience and safety to the general public.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

It's going to be an interesting day. Hope things don't get out of hand.