Army in new bid to get its airship flying

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Army in new bid to get its airship flying

Post by Nereus »

Being a sticky beak, I looked into the type of camera(s) that are quoted as still being useable. Although why you would need a gyro stabilised camera on an airship in the first place eludes me. The price listed for the camera plus control system just about equals the cost of the airship. I just wonder how many new Mercedes Benz came with the "package".

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Aria+Int ... 0200670855
Aria purchased five (5) V14 MSII fully-digital, four-axis stabilized, multi-sensor cameras that provide exceptional aerial surveillance and detection capabilities for law enforcement, military and public utilities applications. The systems purchased by Aria combine the latest in IR and high-definition EO sensor technology. The V14 MSII's EO and IR sensor technology, superior stabilization, unmatched continuous zoom capabilities and multiple payload options, delivers high-performance, flawlessly precise images ideal for the Aria surveillance solution to the Royal Thai Army (RTA).
The RTA selected Aria International Incorporated and Axsys after a number of real-time flight demonstrations were conducted in December 2008 in the United States. Aria International Incorporated previously announced the RTA contract on April 30, 2009. Under this contract, Aria International is responsible for integrating all system components and delivering a complete turn-key solution, conducting initial operations and continuing maintenance tasks as well as providing the training to the RTA personnel on the use of the equipment.
The RTA surveillance and communications solution consists of a manned airship equipped with special state-of-the-art imaging and communications systems and upgrades to existing command and control facilities to allow for the receipt of real-time surveillance data. The airship will be accompanied with a state-of-the-art Mobile Command and Control Vehicle. Aria International will train Royal Thai Army personnel to pilot and effectively utilize and maintain the deployed surveillance and communications systems. In addition to the Axsys cameras on the airship, Aria International will also install and integrate the Axsys V14 MSII high-definition day/night camera systems on select Royal Thai Army helicopters. President of Aria International, Mr. Mike "Bing" Crosby, stated: "the employment of the Axsys stabilized multi-sensor cameras in a manned airship and in RTA helicopters provides the Royal Thai Army another system with the necessary capabilities it requires to counter the increased insurgent activity and threats of crime, drug trafficking and terrorism."
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

....Although why you would need a gyro stabilised camera on an airship in the first place eludes me....
I had a colleague who had worked on airships, at Skyships in the UK back in the nineties and he told me that it was annoying how much the things moved around by themselves in a hanger, let alone when flying. They used to be at Cardington where they still have those two huge airship hangers built in the 1920's.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

STEVE G wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:58 am
....Although why you would need a gyro stabilised camera on an airship in the first place eludes me....
I had a colleague who had worked on airships, at Skyships in the UK back in the nineties and he told me that it was annoying how much the things moved around by themselves in a hanger, let alone when flying. They used to be at Cardington where they still have those two huge airship hangers built in the 1920's.
Yes, I guess they do move about, especially in wind conditions. My time with filming with helicopters was long before stabilised cameras became common, and the pilot was expected to keep the thing steady. In addition, I suppose that with equipment such as that it is now only available with a stabilised platform.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!