Red Bull exec's kid arrested for fatal running over of cop

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Red Bull exec's kid arrested for fatal running over of cop

Post by Nereus »

Red Bull scion notice disappears from Interpol website

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/crime/ ... ol-website

The Interpol “Red Notice” for Red Bull scion Vorayuth "Boss" Yoovidhya, a hit-and-run suspect wanted by Thailand, has disappeared from the Interpol website.

It was unclear when the notice -- a worldwide request to find and arrest an individual pending an extradition -- went missing from the website...and for what reasons. But there was immediate speculation that powerful interests had intervened on Mr Vorayuth's behalf.

Interpol declined to discuss individual cases but told the Bangkok Post that generally a notice could be lifted if “the suspect has been arrested and extradited or died, the country which requested it has withdrawn its request, the judicial authorities in the country behind the notice have withdrawn the national arrest warrant against a suspect, the notice is the subject of an appeal, or the notice has been cancelled or the status of the notice has changed from public to restricted”.

Thai police said in late August that the international police network had issued the red notice for Vorayuth, now 33, after he repeatedly failed to meet with prosecutors. The notice was on the Interpol website until recently.

Thai police spokesman Krissana Pattanachareon said on Thursday Thai police had no idea why the notice was no longer there.

“It's entirely up to Interpol. We can’t intervene because each country has different laws,” he said.
Pol Col Krissana confirmed that Thai police had not sought a change from "public" to "restricted" status for the notice.

“Thai police did all they could to bring the suspect to justice. We stated clearly that all member countries should tell us if they find him.”

He added that this was standard practice for such cases. “Police use the same standard in the prosecution. We also told England in writing that the suspect might be hiding there but so far the UK police have not replied.”

Before dawn on Sept 3, 2012, a black Ferrari driven by Mr Vorayuth slammed into a policeman on motorcycle, dragging his mangled body along Sukhumvit Road, before speeding away.

Mr Vorayuth delayed hearing the charges seven times, citing various reasons. It was not until April 27 last year that prosecutors finally charged him with reckless driving causing death and failing to help a crash victim.

The government cancelled his passport after he flew out of Thailand on his private plane two days before he was due to face the charges.

The speeding charge was dropped as its one-year statute of limitations had expired.

The second charge -- failing to stop his car to help a crash victim -- expired on Sept 3 last year.

The third and most serious charge of reckless driving causing death will remain pending until 2027.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

His father had enough time and money to find for him a safe heaven with a new passport.
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

This has been a typical Thai scenario,for the last 6 years,
The only people that actually comment on the matter are Farang,the general Thai population really are not overly concerned about something that does not affect their day to day life.
Nothing is ever going to occur prosecution wise,and now a similar situation is happening with the Black Leopard slayer,the farang comment,the international press condemn,but Thailand will as always happily bury its head in the sand,knowing that it eventually will disappear.
Kill a policeman, [supposedly]kill a protected species [supposedly],,,,,,,,,,,,,,no problem as long as you are from a wealthy family,no recourse whatsoever.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Thistle wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:55 pm This has been a typical Thai scenario,for the last 6 years,
The only people that actually comment on the matter are Farang,the general Thai population really are not overly concerned about something that does not affect their day to day life.
Nothing is ever going to occur prosecution wise,and now a similar situation is happening with the Black Leopard slayer,the farang comment,the international press condemn,but Thailand will as always happily bury its head in the sand,knowing that it eventually will disappear.
Kill a policeman, [supposedly]kill a protected species [supposedly],,,,,,,,,,,,,,no problem as long as you are from a wealthy family,no recourse whatsoever.
Thistle you have it in a nutshell. So well said.

All this farang hot air is just a waste of typing. If you post your 'thoughts' here, I hope it eases your mind. But in in fact think you are just looking for other people with the same gripes as you to sympathise with you and show some solidarity. What end purpose it serves I really can't see.

I'm a Shakespeare fan, so a couple of quotes:

Macbeth (talking maybe about farang who moan on online forums about Thai propensities towards laziness/acceptance of the status quo/acknowledgement of their place in the heirarchy of Thailand, and all of the rest):
"A poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing".

Lear (Thailand talking to expat forum users, wondering why we talk so much sh*t, but shrugging, acknowledging that we are just a [financial] force of nature which ultimately must be accepted):
"Rumble thy bellyful! Spit, fire! spout, rain!
Nor rain, wind, thunder, fire, are my daughters:
I tax not you, you elements, with unkindness;
I never gave you kingdom, call’d you children,
You owe me no subscription".

Once you accept that Thailand is not 'fair' then maybe you could be at peace? What purpose do extended threads like this, picking over the bones, serve?

:blabla:
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Thistle wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:55 pm This has been a typical Thai scenario,for the last 6 years,

How is this unique to Thailand?
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Thistle wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:55 pmthe general Thai population really are not overly concerned about something that does not affect their day to day life.
What do you base this assumption on?

How do you define the general Thai population?
Talk is cheap
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Thistle wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:55 pm... the Black Leopard slayer,the farang comment,the international press condemn,but Thailand will as always happily bury its head in the sand,knowing that it eventually will disappear.
I'll disagree on that point. The T-shirts, posters, graffiti, and chats with my students indicate to me that this one is certainly not going to get swept under the carpet. Most Thais are definitely fed-up with the wealthy getting away with 'murder'. They're using social media to voice their concerns in a way that was unheard of a few years ago. It's refreshing to see.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

The police I know here in the states put heavy pressure to find a killer of their own kind. Guess, as with many things, priorities in Thailand are different
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

RCer wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:41 pm

How is this unique to Thailand?
With respect he didn't say it's unique to Thailand, just that it's very obvious here. Of course it applies to any country where you can buy justice easily.

VS has commented on the social media and other campaigns by young people on he leopard issue, it's good to see, but I agree with Thistle that it probably may amount to nothing. This time. Maybe things are changing, with the young leading the way, but I'm a bit fatalistic on this I'm afraid. Hence my comment about this thread and others like it. Just my two Baht, of course.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

migrant wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:24 am The police I know here in the states put heavy pressure to find a killer of their own kind. Guess, as with many things, priorities in Thailand are different
Family of deceased already received 30 million baht. That would take the edge off things.

Baht forgives all ..... :cheers:
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

laphanphon wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:43 am
migrant wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:24 am The police I know here in the states put heavy pressure to find a killer of their own kind. Guess, as with many things, priorities in Thailand are different
Family of deceased already received 30 million baht. That would take the edge off things.

Baht forgives all ..... :cheers:
Yes, and personally I don't criticise that pragmatic point of view. Coming from a wealthy nation and having enough money still to feed, clothe, insure and house myself and my wife, I don't feel I can say that a financial arrangement should be discounted where very poor people are concerned, if they prefer it. Maybe they'd rather that to a rich kid going to jail.

Obviously both would be preferable, but not a perfect world!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

If a couple of our self appointed moderators do not mind, I would like to post the following for those of us that are interested in current news:
................................................................................................................
Interpol's red notice for Red Bull heir 'still in force'

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... recent_box

Police deputy spokesman Kritsana Pattanacharoen insisted on Friday that Interpol’s “red notice" for hit-and-run fugitive and Red Bull scion Vorayuth Yoovidhya is still in force, despite vanishing from the Interpol website.

Interpol’s decision not to display the red notice would not affect police efforts to arrest the man, wanted for a fatal crash nearly six years ago, Pol Col Kritsana said.

Interpol’s red notice for 33-year-old Vorayuth, aka “Boss’’, recently disappeared from its public website, raising speculation that powerful interests had intervened on his behalf.

Pol Col Kritsana said a website was only one channel for people to get access to information. Thai officials and Interpol offices in all countries worked closely together. They had not sat still in hunting down the suspect, he asserted.

There were no reports about Mr Vorayuth’s whereabouts from countries which were Interpol members or countries which had extradition treaties with Thailand, the deputy spokesman said.

Mr Vorayuth is wanted on charges of reckless driving causing death and failing to stop and help a crash victim.

......................and the remainder we already know about.......................>>>>>>>>>>>>>.......
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Nereus wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:34 pm If a couple of our self appointed moderators do not mind, I would like to post the following for those of us that are interested in current news:
Sarcasm is the sharp tool of a blunt mind.

I'm not moderating anything, you're way off the mark. I'm saying the constant farang moaning about 'corrupt Thailand' is pointless, and the actual the news (without the bleating) should anyone want it is available online or in printed form at 30 Baht an issue.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

404cameljockey wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:59 pm
Nereus wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:34 pm If a couple of our self appointed moderators do not mind, I would like to post the following for those of us that are interested in current news:
Sarcasm is the sharp tool of a blunt mind.

I'm not moderating anything, you're way off the mark. I'm saying the constant farang moaning about 'corrupt Thailand' is pointless, and the actual the news (without the bleating) should anyone want it is available online or in printed form at 30 Baht an issue.
And where did I post that it was you? It has nothing to do with sarcasm. You don't want to read a post then do not open it! Regardless of what you may or may not believe, there are some members on here that are interested in current news that does not involved things like how "working girls" are exploited. And strangely enough, what you consider as "bleating" is just other posters having an opinion. Or is that not allowed by you also? :roll:
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

OH, oh, here we go again. Perhaps we could have a separate section for those who want to berate or insult others. We could name it The F U thread, it would be unmoderated and anything could be said.