Red Bull exec's kid arrested for fatal running over of cop

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Red Bull exec's kid arrested for fatal running over of cop

Post by Spitfire »

Hit and Run
Son of Red Bull executive nabbed for alleged fatal hit-and-run accident
September 3, 2012 1:24 pm

A son of Red Bull drinks executive Chalerm Yoovidhya was arrested on Monday for allegedly killing a police patrolman in a hit-and-run accident.
Chalerm's son, Worayuth, was arrested at Chalerm's house on Sukhumvit Soi 53 after he admitted to Metropolitan Police Commissioner Pol Lt Gen Kamronwit Thoopkrajang that he was driving the Ferrari that hit the motorcycle of Pol Sen Sgt Maj Wichien Klanprasert of Thonglor police station at 5,30am.

The Ferrari car was seen fleeing into Chalerm's house, prompting Kamronwit to rush to the house and talk with Chalerm for about an hour.

Wichien was hit by the black sports car at the mouth of Soi Sukhumvit 49. The car dragged Wichien's body and motorcycle for over 200 metres.

Witnesses told police that the Ferrari fled into Chalerm's house on Sukhumvit Soi 53.

Before Chalerm's son confessed to driving the car, Kamronwit told reporters that if the car owner did not cooperate with police, he would return to the house with 200 policemen to search it.

Kamronwit said he would step down as the Metropolitan police chief if he failed to bring Wichien's killer to justice.

"I can't let a police officer to die in vain. I'll bring the real culprit to justice," he said.

Kamronwit also demoted Pol Lt Col Pannapon Nammuang, a crime suppression inspector of Thonglor Police station, to an inactive position.

Kamronwit said Pannapon tried to have someone to pretend to be the driver of the car that hit the policeman.

"It is unacceptable for him to set up the arrest of a scapegoat. He ignored the death of his subordinate," Kamronwit said.

Source - The Nation http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nationa ... 89622.html

Comment - Another rich kid in daddy's Ferrari being a spoiled brat :| . Let's see, even though you kill a cop and then flee the scene.....hmmm, I wonder.......suspended sentence and a bit of merit making with daddy paying some cash.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
blue05
Guru
Guru

Re: Red Bull exec's kid arrested for fatal running over of c

Post by blue05 »

He will be down the pub now laughing it off with his mates...... sadly
advocate
Professional
Professional

Post by advocate »

RIP to the policeman.

The bad cop gets demoted! What a joke. He has abused his position of authority.
He should be immediately fired and in the monkey house facing serious charges. Conspiracy and obstruction of justice. Trying to cover for the kid also makes him a party to the actual offence.
advocate
Professional
Professional

Post by advocate »

If this was a civilian that was killed, I think the kid would have got away with this.
The father is one of the richest men in Thailand. Even if he goes to jail, which is unlikely, he will be well taken care of.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Kamronwit also demoted Pol Lt Col Pannapon Nammuang, a crime suppression inspector of Thonglor Police station, to an inactive position.
Now I read it again, that's a good example of the unwillingness to sack someone on a monthly salary here and the 'face-saving' sideways move.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

advocate wrote:If this was a civilian that was killed, I think the kid would have got away with this.
The father is one of the richest men in Thailand. Even if he goes to jail, which is unlikely, he will be well taken care of.
If this was a foreigner that was killed, it would have been declared a suicide.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Seems the little tear-away is now facing a drunk driving charge too and his reading seems to be way-over the Thai limit. Daddy's going to have to pay a lot to get the little steaming turd out of it.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/3 ... unk-charge
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

kSrqijA.jpg
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Voranai's Sunday article mentions the incident. Yet again, it's great to see that this kind of things get published.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opin ... r-daddy-is
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Good article!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
advocate
Professional
Professional

Post by advocate »

I doubt the guy gets convicted for drunk driving. It is a common defense tactic to argue the alcohol was consumed after the incident to alleviate stress. Without any proof that the accused was drunk at the time of the offense, the prosecution has failed to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the accused was driving while impaired by alcohol. The guys lawyer has already laid the foundation for this defense in his statements to the police and media.

This is one of the reasons so many Thai drivers flee the accident scene.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Not sure if Thailand has adopted the blood alcohol count back method but it is pretty easy to estimate what a persons reading would have been at the time of the incident.

http://www.forensicresources.co.uk/Bloo ... ration.php
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

QpvnZrn.jpg
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

How the hell do you stop this type of thing? The bitch should be locked up until her court case is listed. No respect for anybody or anything! :cuss:
While this type of thing is tolerated there is not much hope for this country.
As old Mr. Bernard Trink used to say" "me first, me first"!
...................................................................................................
Girly Berry star on DUI charge after night out

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/3 ... ving-drunk

Singer Piya 'Giftza' Pongkulapa, of popular girl band Girly Berry, was arrested on a charge of driving under the influence of alcohol (DUI) at 1.45am Tuesday at a traffic checkpoint on Pattanakarn road, police said.

According to police, the 28-year-old pop singer initially refused to blow into a breathalyzer and told a traffic police officer that she "is a celebrity and knows many senior police officials".
Giftza, who was with her female friend, refused to leave the vehicle.

Later, another car arrived at the checkpoint. Two men emerged from the vehicle and criticised the officer and the press who had gathered. They were believed to be Giftza's friends.

She then got out of the driver's seat and moved to rest inside her friend's car.

The pop singer later emerged to talk to the press and police, and admitted that she had been drinking alcohol at an entertainment venue in Thong Lor from 10pm Monday to 1am Tuesday.

She told reporters, while still drinking a lot of water, that she wanted to be sober before blowing into the breath tester because she did not want to appear in court.

"He (the officer) told me to blow into the machine, but I feel that I'm not in an appropriate condition," Giftza told reporters. "And when I'm sober, I'll blow into it."
When a reporter asked her to give a breath sample, she said with a faint smile that she would need to drink three bottles of water first.

"I know (that drunk driving is illegal) but I personally feel that I'm not that drunk," she told reporters.

She said she drank only three glasses of alcohol and intended to take a short rest when her car arrived at the checkpoint.

Giftza denied that she contacted a "high-ranking police official" to help her, as claimed by the traffic policeman.

According to the officer, Giftza handed him her phone saying that he could talk to the "high-ranking official". The officer said he did not feel pressured because he was only doing his duty.

She later gave a breath sample after the police officer insisted that she must do as the law requires.

The breathalyser test showed that her breath alcohol level was .082, exceeding the legal .05 limit for driving a vehicle, police said.

Police said Giftza was released on 20,000 baht bail and will be summonsed to appear at Khlon Ton police station at 8.30am Wednesday before the case is forwarded to Phra Khanong Provincial Court.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

20,000 bail? For someone in her position it should have been at least 10x that.
I do think (and I do hope) that hi-sos like her will get their comeuppences some time soon.
But maybe I'm just dreaming?
Isn't it amazing how the ferreting journalists are always there on time but there's very rarely a public follow up through to a court decision?