Thailand's high-speed train project underway

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Thailand's high-speed train project underway

Post by oakdale160 »

I wrote to a real train expert in the UK and asked what sort of speeds could be safe on a 1m track as compared with the 1.44m of standard gauge and he said that no real HST had been attempted on that gauge but that 150k would be reasonable on a well built 1m track.
Any other opinions on attractive time to BKK?
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: RE: Re: Thailand's high-speed train project underway

Post by hhinner »

oakdale160 wrote:I wrote to a real train expert in the UK and asked what sort of speeds could be safe on a 1m track as compared with the 1.44m of standard gauge and he said that no real HST had been attempted on that gauge but that 150k would be reasonable on a well built 1m track.
I don't think anyone is contemplating building HST on 1m track. The dual track upgrade on the existing bkk-hh line and the hst are two different projects.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

oakdale160 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:33 am ... a real train expert in the UK ...
That conjured up a really vivid image in my mind. :)
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: RE: Re: Thailand's high-speed train project underway

Post by StevePIraq »

hhinner wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:38 am
oakdale160 wrote:I wrote to a real train expert in the UK and asked what sort of speeds could be safe on a 1m track as compared with the 1.44m of standard gauge and he said that no real HST had been attempted on that gauge but that 150k would be reasonable on a well built 1m track.
I don't think anyone is contemplating building HST on 1m track. The dual track upgrade on the existing bkk-hh line and the hst are two different projects.
The proposed track is 1,435mm with a speed of 250kmh max. I can't wait for the photos of Thais idiots killed trying to cross when they shouldn't.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

The smart investors are buying up land around Korat at the moment as when this link gets built then land price will shoot up..if it's not already doing so.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I believe it's all elevated. No sense buying land next to track IMO, except near stations. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

It's only an el where the residents have played bloody hell (like Muang district or the topography doesn't allow for it on the deck). Even so, will still make the prices go up as you will easily be able to commute to BBK everyday and not have to live in the chaos of the capital.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Steve's info that the top speed is planned to be 250K/H then the time including stops to BKK should be a little over an hour. So to repeat my question, wouldn't you prefer to ride rather than drive if that were so, assuming that the trains proved to be safe and reliable and I know that's a big "if"
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

I think it would have to depend on where you need to go once in Bangkok.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Also, how frequent the trains are. Every hour or so might be ok. Two or three times a day might be a bit inconvenient.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

hhinner wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:14 pm I think it would have to depend on where you need to go once in Bangkok.
Yes, exactly. I have not read anywhere about where the Bangkok terminal will be. The BTS has been extended and there are plans to extend it further, but it will never be able to cover the huge area of Bangkok. There is also the MRT that joins up with the BTS in one place, and the airport link, but it still leaves a big area which would be better served by more MRT or BTS lines.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

yes it needs to be thought out. the airport express is a great train at a great price but neither of its BKK stations are near to hotel areas and so passengers have to take a taxi and so feel they may as well take a taxi from the airport. Actually, the first station Makkasan (Sp?) and the MRT station are several hundred meters apart. The MRT and BTS does not connect well, each one has their own game.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

As always in Ting Tong land one is only given a sliver of information. The government do not believe the population has a right to know anything. You will only know the details when it is finished.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

HST in China now can run at max speed of 350K/hr, raised from 300K/hr. Beijing > Shanghai in 4 1/2 hours. that would be BKK >HH in 40 mins. I post this as China will play a role in any SE Asia HST project.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Did you see that story from japan-- a scheduled train left 20 secs too early and the company made a public apology.