Thailand's high-speed train project underway

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Thailand's high-speed train project underway

Post by handdrummer »

oakdale--- you may be correct. Thailand and all of southeast Asia have always been tribute states to china so it's not anything new. when we see a majority of the "leadership" limping about we'll know that the shots have been fired into their feet.
Geko
Professional
Professional

Post by Geko »

Scrap rail link to Hua Hin

The State Enterprise Policy Office seems to have made the right decision in delaying the nearly 95-billion-baht Bangkok-Hua Hin high-speed rail link. In fact, given some serious questions that have been...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opin ... to-hua-hin
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Just the same as China taking over Sri Lanka's main sea port, the day there is a military conflict they automatically have a port in that region.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

if the HST project is scrapped will the dual track project continue??
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Scrap rail link to Hua Hin (Editorial)

........with comments and suggestions about road and existing rail improvements. Pete :cheers:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opin ... to-hua-hin
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Not sure if events are connected but today....

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha used Section 44 to sack the governor and entire board the State Railway of Thailand on Thursday and appoint a new team, with a highways deputy chief now acting governor.
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... d-replaced
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

In the BKK Post todfay is an article about another possible delay. The Chinese have submitted a cost estimate but it is in Chinese.The Thai authorities are demanding a translated version by the end of April--- translated into ENGLISH. Another indication that English is the international language of trade and one more reason for the govt to upgrade the English programs in the schools.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

"Thailand approves US$5.1 billion high speed rail project supplied by China

Thai Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha government has approved the start of construction of a US$5 billion (S$6.9 billion) high-speed train project, to be developed by China.

Bangkok to the northeastern province of Nakhon Ratchasima, a distance of more than 250km, will start later this year and is scheduled for completion in 2021.

It will cost an estimated 179 billion baht (around US$5.1 billion).

The government hopes to eventually extend the high-speed railway by some 350km to Nong Khai Province, opposite Laos, in the hope of boosting cross-border trade volume and turning Thailand into a regional hub.

It could eventually link Bangkok and China’s southwestern city of Kunming, over 1,200 km away, via landlocked Laos.

China, as part of its “One Belt, One Road initiative” to link Asia with Europe, is already constructing a 417-km stretch of single-track railway through Laos as part of a planned regional railway network linking Kunming with Singapore via Laos, Thailand and Malaysia.

Image"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/84c5ab47-1 ... 245.1.html
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

These trains are working fine in China. Last weekend, I took a trip to Hangzhou from Shanghai, it took just an hour with highest speed of 299 km/h. Here in China they are very cheap too, that trip cost me about 12 Euros one way. This is surely the best thing since the coming of budget airlines.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

And the speed that they build them is amazing. Apart from Ch New Year they work 24h/day 360 days a year.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Beijing >> Shanghai 1300k 244 bridges, 22 tunnels, built in 3 years.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Let's play--What if.
How short would the train trip to BKK have to be to make you prefer to go by train rather than drive?
If the train was as fast as the Japanese or Chinese inter-city trains it would be less than an hour, including stops.
If it was as fast as the better UK services, say London to M'ster it would be about an hour and a half.
If it was as fast as Amtrak in the US or Via Rail in Canada about 2hours 20min.
Whats your number?
This is, of course, theoretical for most of us as no retiree will live long enough to have to make that choice.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Bamboo Grove wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:57 pm These trains are working fine in China. Last weekend, I took a trip to Hangzhou from Shanghai, it took just an hour with highest speed of 299 km/h. Here in China they are very cheap too, that trip cost me about 12 Euros one way. This is surely the best thing since the coming of budget airlines.
Well, they've had their problems in China on the High Speed Lines ... Mainly the usual back-handers and bribery which have caused a few very bad accidents and some extremely lucky near misses (due to shoddy workmanship/materials). That said, I've travelled on these trains on various occasions - mainly from Hangzhou and it's been a great experience, thoroughly impressed. Clean, efficient, quiet (low occupancy) and incredibly fast - not the normal experience for me whilst I was in China!! And as you say BG, the pricing was incredibly reasonable (at the time). Will all this last... cleanliness, efficiency and occupancy etc. - Unfortunately I doubt it.

Enough of my bitching about China, the technology and skill is there - I just hope the corruption and bribery is at least kept to a minimum.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

in China, they actually lowered the top speed after the first accident. i think it is 350K/h (220mph) now, was 500k/h
The China experience is important as it will probably be the Chinese who "Advise" on HST in Thai.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

oakdale160 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:29 pm Let's play--What if.
How short would the train trip to BKK have to be to make you prefer to go by train rather than drive?
If the train was as fast as the Japanese or Chinese inter-city trains it would be less than an hour, including stops.
If it was as fast as the better UK services, say London to M'ster it would be about an hour and a half.
If it was as fast as Amtrak in the US or Via Rail in Canada about 2hours 20min.
Whats your number?
This is, of course, theoretical for most of us as no retiree will live long enough to have to make that choice.
:laugh:

I think 2 hours would be worth it.
But to be realistic I guess we could consider Amtrak speed for Thailand (not being snippy, it is what it is, and also you have more chance of surviving a derailment when the train tries to avoid hitting a herd of water buffalo on the line), and TIT so there will be delays for sure.

Even two and a half hours if reliable would be worth it IMO. Same as driving on a clear route, but driving in BKK is a nightmare and parking more so, and driving both ways in 24 - 48 hours is a PIA.

But also depends if it's a major shopping trip, I hate using public transport with a lot of baggage. Sometimes driving or taxi is the only answer.