Handwriting

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Handwriting

Post by oakdale160 »

Today I had to complete one of those busy Thai forms. I was embarrassed with the quality of my handwriting. After years of typing everything on my laptop my writing looks like my 8yr old granddaughter's. Anybody else noticed this.
Big Boy

Re: Handwriting

Post by Big Boy »

Similar, but I'd guess mine has deteriorated to the level of a 5 year old.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:18 pm Similar, but I'd guess mine has deteriorated to the level of a 5 year old.
Cursive Writing, Calligraphy and Sanskrit are really an art form and a talent, some people have it and some don't, I am also the latter. I have received many letters over the years from older relatives who don't know what a computer is and their handwriting is still perfect... :)
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

I have to really think now when I write with a pen and have to slow down, as my mind is working faster than the pen. I learnt to touch-type at the age of 18, so am obviously much quicker on a keyboard than with a writing implement in my hand. My handwriting is a mixture of cursive and 6-year-old, with the invariable scribbles as I miss out letters/words as I write (just a 'back' bar on the keyboard). :wink:

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

my handwriting has gone downhill something rotten over the last 30 yrs. When I look back on things I wrote as a teenager, my handwriting was really nice, and I could do it fairly quickly, still keeping it neat and tidy. Now the only thing I ever hand write is an address on an envelope, and I now have to take a LOT of time and the result is mediocre at best.

As teenagers my best pal's writing and mine were very similar. She's a primary school teacher so still writes a lot because of her work. Her handwriting is now SO much better than mine. So I guess it is, use it (regularly) or lose it.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Those who worked in an office environment before the advent of the computer either had to dictate onto a tape, or handwrite memos and letters on a legal pad then give to a secretary to type up and dispatch. To make their lives easier most, including myself, reverted to printing in clear, capital letters. Schoolboy cursive disappeared then and I've never used it since, but if you write fast some letter connections still appear and what you end up with is a quasi-cursive of printed capital letters! :shock: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

I honestly have no problem at all with my handwriting, it's quite neat and tidy and no different now to what it has been in past years.
I thought it was pretty much like riding a bike!
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Me too, my handwriting didn't change for say 45 years, still looks like a spider ran across the page because I write too fast. As others said above it's due to the hand not being able to keep up with the speed the words come into my head. If I write nicely (slowly) then I lose the flow of thought and have to keep stopping writing to re-imagine how I want to say what I'm saying which frustrates me.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I'm left handed and when I went to grammar school, in Chicago, during the mid 1940's, we weren't allowed to write with our left hands. I couldn't learn to write with my right hand. One day the teacher Mrs. Twinem, may she rot in hell, saw me writing with my left hand and struck it with a ruler. I grabbed the ruler out of her hand and hit her with it, she yanked me out of the seat and dragged me to the principal, Mrs. MacGuffey's (may she join the teacher) office. The principal picked me up by the back of my trousers and collar of my shirt, turned me upside down and said, "Don't you fell foolish now?" I replied, "No", she threw me in the closet, locked the door and I spent the rest of the day there. I wonder why my hand writing is so terrible?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Like others, my handwriting now is atrocious. Bring back the fountain pen. Even in those days my handwriting was much worse using a biro than using a fountain pen.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

Handrummer, I had the same problem when starting school, every time I wrote with my left hand, I was rapped across the knuckles with a ruler. This affected my hand writing ever since then.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Ball point pens were forbidden when I was at school. My prize possession was a PARKER 51 fountain pen. Over the years it got a new barrel, several new nibs and a new sac but I kept it for 7 years.
One other trivia piece--when i went to CHINA in 97, all bank docs had to be in ink. They had inkwells and dip in pens in the bank--it was like a Charles Dickens bank.
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

When I was at school in the sixties ball point pens were also banned, the school desks had ink pots in top corner, if you couldn't afford a fountain pen, lost it or whatever, then you were issued with a wooden type pen nib c/w ink pot which fitted in corner of desk also issued a sheet of blotting paper.You had to learn to be neat, as too many ink stains in your school exercise book,got you very sore knuckles. This was in the modern swinging sixties :)
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I was an ink monitor back in the fifties. Blotting paper, ink and a ruler made a perfect weapon.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

boy you were an ink monitor-- recognised at an early age as an obvious natural leader of men.