£1.7 Million Mansion for £25..... If you can do Crosswords!!

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
pharvey

£1.7 Million Mansion for £25..... If you can do Crosswords!!

Post by pharvey »

Certainly not lucky enough in competitions and definitely no Crossword expert!! :oops: :cry:

"A breathtaking £1.7 million six-bedroom Georgian mansion boasting a nine-hole golf course and helicopter landing pad is being offered as a competition prize.
Donna Pirie, 54, is hoping to raise £1 million for charity by offering a lucky winner her stunning home for just £25 a ticket - with the prize including a housekeeper, groundsmen, utility bills paid for a year, stamp duty and £2,000 towards solicitor's fees.
Johnston Lodge in Laurencekirk, Aberdeenshire boasts some 32 acres of grounds, four reception rooms, six en-suite bedrooms, two cloakrooms, tennis courts, a gym and a half-mile private drive with electric gates.
Entrants for the draw simply need to complete a Christmas-themed crossword and pay £25."

Crossword.jpg
Crossword.jpg (85.2 KiB) Viewed 1396 times

Full Article: - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... affle.html

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Re: £1.7 Million Mansion for £25..... If you can do Crosswords!!

Post by Vital Spark »

I am so tempted. I love crosswords, and I'm currently looking at houses to rent in the UK.

Dammit! Just clicked on the link and it's obviously blocked by the junta. Any other way of accessing this?

VS

P.S. I'm pretty lucky in competitions. I once won a Sex Pistols' T-shirt 'Never Mind the Bollocks' (which I wish I had kept), in a competition run by NME, and a brand new Ford Fiesta in a slogan competition run by Ford Motor Co.
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Try this VS. O ther sites seem to be running it. Pete :cheers:

https://www.winamansionforchristmas.com/how-to-play
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

OK, now found the site where I can enter http://www.winamansionforchristmas.com/how-to-play

I've just got to go for it.

Wish me luck.

VS :wink:

Edit: Just read the conditions and you must be a resident of the UK (which I'm not). Never mind, I'll put it in my twin sister's name.
Last edited by Vital Spark on Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Vital Spark wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:58 pm OK, now found the site where I can enter http://www.winamansionforchristmas.com/how-to-play

I've just got to go for it.

Wish me luck.

VS :wink:
Good luck........ Can I have the answers? :wink: :duck:
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Well, yes you can - for 1.7 million pounds. I've just done it, it's really easy.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Vital Spark wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:14 am Well, yes you can - for 1.7 million pounds. I've just done it, it's really easy.
Damn!! :banghead:

[EDIT] What if I give you £12.50 for a half share? :idea: :D .... Or would that be going to your "Twin Sister"?
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Now let me just work this out. I did all the brain-work = 75%. My twin acts as the submitter so I guess she could get 20%. That leaves 5% for you, but for all the faffing about transferring money, etc. and legal documents, why don't you just send me £100. OK? :thumb:

VS

BTW: I do actually have a twin sister in the UK.

Edit: Just remembered DM is in the UK. Can we do a deal, mate?
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ DAMN! Women do drive a hard bargain :banghead:

I shall take it up with my other "Penny Pinching" investors! :wink:

In all seriousness, the "UK Resident" thing is a bit of a joke in these things and very easily overcome. Had exactly the same issue with the UK (and Euro) Lotto when I was living in China.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Vital Spark wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:49 am Edit: Just remembered DM is in the UK. Can we do a deal, mate?
Absolutely. The mansion is in my name, and you have 2 rooms for life. With access to the kitchen so that Chef Parahandy can cook for me.

And I'll buy you a Sex Pistols T-shirt. xx
This is the way
aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon »

"Johnston Lodge in Laurencekirk, Aberdeenshire boasts some 32 acres of grounds, four reception rooms, six en-suite bedrooms, two cloakrooms, tennis courts, a gym and a half-mile private drive with electric gates."

I wonder how many thousands of pounds a year it is going to take to maintain that little pile :shock: I would imagine the utility bills alone, particularly in winter, would require their own mortgage, not to mention the 32 acres of grounds :?
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ Well, if you're lucky enough to get it, charge it out as a holiday home/rooms for the first year when utility bills are paid and staff are provided...... then flog it! Why not at half price, a fairly tidy profit!! :wink: :D

Then again, Ms Pirre herself stands to make a cool profit if indeed she raises the £1m for charity. Giving £5 to charity for each £25 ticket, would mean selling 200,00 tickets to achieve the £1m mark - certainly not out of the realms of possibility with the promotion this has had in various newspapers and online forums! This would give her a cool £4m!!

:cheers: :cheers:
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

Another creative way of selling a property that won't go for asking price, also the cost of running it! The winner would need very deep pockets as well as being good at crosswords :)