What Nationality Are You

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!

What nationality are you

Poll ended at Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:49 pm

British
54%
USA
14%
Canadian
No votes
French
No votes
German
4%
Swedish
2%
Norwegian
2%
Australian
8%
Belgium
No votes
Swiss
2%
Austrian
No votes
Netherlands
2%
Other
12%

Total votes: 50

HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: What Nationality Are You

Post by HHTel »

Being English is not a nationality
So I'm assuming, Jonjar, that you are withdrawing the above statement. You're answering like a politician without really answering.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

On second thoughts Jonjar, you don't have to answer that. It would be nice once in a while for you to admit you're wrong about something. But I doubt that comes easy.
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

I just feel this is a pointless exercise, as can be seen from some of the above posts, and a waste of time.
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

This was a simple little poll until JamJar starting the usual bickering and disagreeing with everyone. Just vote and shut up.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

I hate to agree with JamJar, but he's right on this occasion as far as I can tell

I am and English man. I was born in England, to English parents, but my passport clearly states "British Citizen" under nationality. When you fill in a form on the internet do you go looking for "English" in the drop-down box? Or do you search for "British" first?

This strangely reminds me of the "there are multiple genders, not just male/female" debates. It's all semantics at the end of the day... But your official nationality is British.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

British is a general term for anyone within the Union. It is largely for convenience. Each of the four nations still identifies with itself in many ways. In Scotland for example, many of their laws refer to Scottish Nationality. All four nations have their own governments often known as assemblies which have certain responsibilities for their country. If Scotland had voted to leave the Union then being Scottish would no longer be British. Their parliament is independent on several fronts.
British only exists as long as the Union remains intact. The individual nationalities are used in various contexts "He's a Scottish Actor" "She's an English writer living in America" "He plays rugby in the Welsh national team"
Just because it says British Citizen on your passport doesn't strip you of the right to be English. Your birth certificate doesn't say you are British. In fact the rules and laws differ between the four nations.

For convenience, I am British for the authorities but if anyone asks me then "I'm English"
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Yes and my query was really straightforward, genuine one. Just being curious to see which Country of the union the Brits in Hua Hin originate from? Should have been so simple.

Apologies to the OP for the way it affected the thread. I thought it was to be re-done, so was hoping this would be included in a new version.
Talk is cheap
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

RCer wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:20 pm Glad you put USA and not American. Apparently its wrong now to say one is just American. Rather it needs to be something - American, and I'm not one of those.
I was curious about this as the list is a blend of countries and nationalities and I wasn’t sure why. For example, the list includes Australia and Netherlands, along with British and French, as opposed to simply Australian, Dutch, British and French. I wasn’t aware of the USA and American difference.

Since the poll is being reset, perhaps it can rephrase the question to ask what Nationality people identify with and have “other” to include a text answer that people could add to. That way we keep all the Manx happy. :mrgreen:
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Should have been so simple.
You should know, Caller. You can't have 'simple' in Thailand ..... lol
Only joking!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

J.J.B. wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:04 pm I wasn’t aware of the USA and American difference.
Surely North America (USA, Canada, Mexico etc.), South America being numerous countries (Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Uruguay to name but a few).

I imagine most people take American or North American to be the USA.

:cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Other than the US, where in the world identify themselves as something-nationality?

Ex: African-American
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

pharvey wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:05 pm
J.J.B. wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:04 pm I wasn’t aware of the USA and American difference.
Surely North America (USA, Canada, Mexico etc.), South America being numerous countries (Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Uruguay to name but a few).

I imagine most people take American or North American to be the USA.

:cheers:
If someone refers to North America, I usually assume they mean the USA and Canada. I've never seen or heard anyone describing themselves as 'North American'.
RCer wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:37 pm Other than the US, where in the world identify themselves as something-nationality?

Ex: African-American
I worked as an immigration officer for 20 years. Many Americans love to give you their full background in the nationality section of the arrival card: e.g. Polish/Italian, Greek/Albanian, Kurdish, etc. (they might or might not add American...). Odd really, for a country so obsessed with patriotism. One of the most astonishing such entries (and surprisingly common) was WASP (White Anglo-Saxon Protestant).
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

johnjar wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:41 ampharvey ...Your tone seems to be a bit angry, especially with the "curse word you typed" in at the end of your post.
I'll give you that and appologise for the "curse". However, to say English, Irish, Scottish or Welsh, is not not a nationality is utterly ridiculous. Yes, a British passport states we are all "British Nationals", because we are!! We are also nationals of our own NATION.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Jamjar has given us a few laughs but it's getting b o r i n g

I do like the new nickname, Pleng. Jamjar!!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:02 pmIf someone refers to North America, I usually assume they mean the USA and Canada. I've never seen or heard anyone describing themselves as 'North American'.
Have no doubt DM - I was being a little pedantic :oops: