What Nationality Are You

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!

What nationality are you

Poll ended at Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:49 pm

British
54%
USA
14%
Canadian
No votes
French
No votes
German
4%
Swedish
2%
Norwegian
2%
Australian
8%
Belgium
No votes
Swiss
2%
Austrian
No votes
Netherlands
2%
Other
12%

Total votes: 50

johnjar
Guru
Guru

Re: What Nationality Are You

Post by johnjar »

pharvey wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:08 pm
johnjar wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:41 ampharvey ...Your tone seems to be a bit angry, especially with the "curse word you typed" in at the end of your post.
I'll give you that and appologise for the "curse". However, to say English, Irish, Scottish or Welsh, is not not a nationality is utterly ridiculous. Yes, a British passport states we are all "British Nationals", because we are!! We are also nationals of our own NATION.
pharvey..No worries mate ! Glad your chilled out :cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

HHTel wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:14 pmI do like the new nickname, Pleng. Jamjar!!
Missed that one, BUT :agree: 100+% - Sorry Johnjar,but it was funny.......

:cheers: :cheers:
Last edited by pharvey on Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

HHTel wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:14 pm Jamjar has given us a few laughs but it's getting b o r i n g

I do like the new nickname, Pleng. Jamjar!!
HHtel...I also liked that moniker, also even tried to change it on my profile page.The main thing is not taking ourselves too seriously , and enjoying life :cheers:
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Confused.

England, Scotland, Wales and NI: nations or countries? And the UK is a nation-state?

"While the terms country, state, and nation are often used interchangeably, there is a difference. Explore what defines a state, independent country and a nation.

Simply put, the bare-bones definitions of the three terms follow:

A country is a nation with its own government, occupying a particular territory.
A state is a territory considered as a political community living within one system of government.

A nation is a large group of people that inhabit a specific territory and are connected by history, culture or another commonality.

The Difference Between a Country and a Nation

A country is a self-governing political entity. The term country can be used interchangeably with a state. A nation, however, is a tightly-knit group of people that share a common culture or background. Nations do not necessarily live within a single country, however, a nation-state is a nation which has the same borders as a state."

https://www.thoughtco.com/country-state ... on-1433559
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

There’s a whole can of worms opened here. Parisians will tell you they are not French, but Parisian while the Catalans are determined to be independent from Spain.

I’m still not convinced that someone from Argentina or Brazil would describe their nationality as “South American” so don’t get the USA thing. I lived in New York for a year and laughed out loud at someone who told me they were 13th generation British!
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

The English do not have a government or any kind of state. The Scots and Welsh do have governments but are not independent states.The nationality of the English, Welsh and Scottish is British as per uk passport.
The best policy is to call the country the United Kingdom or,better call them British people, unless you know them to be English, Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish :)
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

This is nuts and doing my head in. Will all the pedants just go away!

Right Pharvey mate, we are kindred souls. You are not Welsh and I am not English. Got that!? We're are all British in mind, state, traits and whether we have odd shaped or round balls - it makes no difference. We are all one and the same and from here on in, there will be no English football team or Welsh Rugby team, no flag of St. George or Red Dragon. Everything must be done to reflect the one nation state!

By order of the pedants. :roll:

Quite amazed at how we have managed all these years..........
Talk is cheap
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

Great at last we've come to a sound conclusion, incidentally watching parliamentary questions time last week, Plaid Cymru are pushing to get the Red Dragon on the Union Jack :)
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

It's all going to end in tears...... :roll:
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

Well let's be honest about it, the Welsh are the original Britons who fought off the Romans , the Danes, Anglo Saxons, and Gaul's and held them all off at the Welsh border,and the same goes for Adrian's Wall they held off them (Sassenach's) Saxons there too.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

HHTel wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:14 pm Jamjar has given us a few laughs but it's getting b o r i n g

Oh I sorry but I can't take credit for that. I don't pay much attention to nicknames on the Fourm... I was replying to StevePIraq above me, who had used the name JamJar to refer to our new friend.

Anyway, there seems to be a big conversation that can never be concluded about what people identify as... you can identify as what you like but the poll question was "What nationality are you?" If you're going to start allowing England, Scotland, Wales Norther Ireland as separate entities, then what about the Cornish who also have their own separatist movement? I see France on the poll... it's rather a big country... are there not people from Normandy who don't identify as "French"? (genuine question; I don't know)... Lucky Spain's not in the list as there'd be the whole Catalonia issue to deal with... I think sticking with a legally defined "nationality" rather than an idealistic "identity" is on the whole, much simpler.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Pleng wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:23 pm

If you're going to start allowing England, Scotland, Wales Norther Ireland as separate entities
Sorry, WTF? Not too sure about "Norther Ireland", but England, Wales and Scotland all have separate Governments/Assemblies, making them by law NATIONS.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Pleng wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:23 pmthen what about the Cornish who also have their own separatist movement?
"separatist movement"? Are you having a Giraffe, a Bad Moment or simply a Bad Hair Day? The Cornish just love taking the Michael - I love some of the labels "Made in Cornwall Near England"..... SUPERB!! It's simple banter for Christ's sake.

Pleng wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:23 pmLucky Spain's not in the list as there'd be the whole Catalonia issue to deal with...
Considering the amount of injuries, violence and obvious political issues, a rather harsh comment IMHO.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

pharvey wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:01 pm
Pleng wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:23 pmthen what about the Cornish who also have their own separatist movement?
"separatist movement"? Are you having a Giraffe, a Bad Moment or simply a Bad Hair Day? The Cornish just love taking the Michael - I love some of the labels "Made in Cornwall Near England"..... SUPERB!! It's simple banter for Christ's sake.

Pleng wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:23 pmLucky Spain's not in the list as there'd be the whole Catalonia issue to deal with...
Considering the amount of injuries, violence and obvious political issues, a rather harsh comment IMHO.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornish_nationalism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mebyon_Kernow
Bit full on for an April Fools'?

And gotta love (hate) the Mail Online:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... acker.html