Back in the UK after 14 years

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Re: Back in the UK after 14 years

Post by Vital Spark »

Just checked on line and each bank has different requirements. It looks like Lloyds just need ID (a passport), but Barclays - who have always been difficult - want ID and proof of residence. I have a UK driving licence with my Mum's address on it, so I guess that could be used as an address option (if needed).

Another 't' crossed... :)

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Just a thought, but it might be worth opening an account with a UK bank that has a branch in Bangkok (I think HSBC has one), which could presumably be transferred to a UK branch when necessary.
This is the way
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Vital Spark wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:50 pmI thought I read somewhere that you can't have a UK bank account unless you're a resident (which we're not). I know people here who do keep their accounts open using a family member's address, but I'm not sure if it's strictly legal.

VS
I think it's more a residential address. Both my banks have my Thai addresses and despite going 'paperless', the odd letter still gets sent out (and they are usually very odd). My new UK debut card was sent to me via courier, which I had to pay for, but they messed up the pin - meant to have been a new one, but I couldn't activate it. They paid me compensation for the hassle I had. My TSB account manager has even phoned me here when there was an issue that needed my input.

Edit. VS - I know you go back to the UK every so often, so why not open an account when you are next there. My advice would be to tell them openly and honestly your situation, have an address you can use and UK mobile number and see what happens. That's what I did.
Talk is cheap
buksida

Post by buksida »

Halifax was the easiest for me, just used my UK driving license (with UK address on it) and passport.

The rest (HSBC, Lloyds, Barclays) wanted a world of other shit including income, employment and tax records, and needed an appointment a week later. They could all go and jump ...
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I found Lloyds to be extremely helpful. Short meeting with the manager who knew my situation (retired, unemployed, no savings etc). I was given an account with a 500 quid overdraft and two credit cards. I did agree to PPP at the time which I claimed back several hundred pounds a couple of years later.

My credit cards which initially had a 1000 pound limit has since been incremented to 8000 pounds. I've no intention of hitting this limit or I'd be in real trouble.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Evening, DM,

I'm sitting here at my computer - it's nearly half-past midnight and the frogs are belting it out tonight. I've got all the windows open, and thinking about how I'm going to cope with the chilly temperatures in the UK. Still hugely excited about our impending move, and after spending 36 years of my life in the UK I know what to expect, but how are you coping with your first British winter after a lot of years of balmy weather here in Thailand?

VS x
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

You've picked a good time to ask, as it's bloody cold at the moment and snow is forecast pretty much everywhere over the next few weeks. Having said that, I'd rather have it -5C and snowy or sunny than +5C and pissing down with rain!
This is the way
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Snow is fine, but a few days later it warms up and then you have THE SLUSH. There is nothing good to be said about slush. That's the part that I hate about Ontario winters.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Certainly, my evening walk through the forests of Luxembourg was icy enough yesterday:

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Those images don't work for me Steve :cry:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Yes, they worked on the preview but have now gone, I'll try again a bit later when I have more time.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Does this work?
4.jpg
4.jpg (84.54 KiB) Viewed 541 times
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yep :D
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

One of the good things about living on your own is that nobody complains when you leave the toilet seat up.
One of the sad things is that you constantly find yourself putting it down...
This is the way
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

I only realise how well-trained Mr.VS is when we have males (esp. young unmarried ones) at the house.

Has spring sprung in England, DM? Are the daffodils nodding to you on your stroll to the shop/pub? Do you have swallows nesting in the eaves, and have you heard a cuckoo yet? I could go on about lambs gambling in the meadows, but I think I'll leave it there...;)

VS