Back in the UK after 14 years

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Back in the UK after 14 years

Post by lindosfan1 »

I am further south than DM. The daffodils are out, the lambs are gambling, no cuckoos. However this winter has seemed like a long cold damp miserable one. Great news sun forecast next week.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Vital Spark wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:53 am Has spring sprung in England, DM? Are the daffodils nodding to you on your stroll to the shop/pub? Do you have swallows nesting in the eaves, and have you heard a cuckoo yet?
I believe so, though I still have the heating on. 10-12 C isn't quite enough for me to feel comfortable...

Daffodils everywhere. Haven't seen any swallows yet, but there is a friendly robin, a couple of magpies, blackbirds, ducks, freshwater gulls, the occasional tit... and loads of pigeons that perch right above my allocated parking space, which means I have to park on the road...
I could go on about lambs gambling in the meadows
lindosfan1 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:00 am The daffodils are out, the lambs are gambling
Betfred and the like have a lot to answer for!
This is the way
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Of course I was referring to the black ones in the family (that prefer to place a few bets), rather than the cute white ones that enjoy gamboling. :oops:

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I think I mentioned earlier in this thread how much the advances in technology surprised me - banks, card payments, etc.

I've just been diagnosed with throat cancer - no need to panic, I'm told it's been detected at a very early stage (I lost my voice for 3 weeks while rehearsing for My Fair Lady - croaking out I'm Getting Married in the Morning...), and everyone seems confident it can be successfully treated by radiotherapy (with a little bit of luck! :wink: ).

Anyway, the point is that I will soon have to got to a hospital in Sheffield 5 days a week for 7 weeks. Not only does the GPS come in very handy (not new, I know, but new to me), but I've been there a couple of times already and parking is a nightmare, and needs a constant supply of the right amount of change. I've been doing a bit of advance research and have just downloaded an app via which I can pay the car park fees. That's pretty amazing in my technophobic experience.

On a different note, I've just started the process of getting Mrs (an honorary title) D-M a visit visa - nobody seems very optimistic, but I'll keep you informed. Hopefully, the cancer diagnosis might help!
This is the way
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

That's pretty rotten news, DM. You bloody well better get it sorted out before we come and see you when we're in blighty!

It's great that they've caught it early, and you're living in a country that understands health care. You're in the best place to have the most advanced treatment available. And good luck with getting Bee a visa to come and see you.

I don't think that anyone attending hospital should pay car parking fees, but I guess it's another money earner for the struggling NHS.

Keep in touch, mate.

VS x
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Thanks VS.

As you know, I had some previous brushes with serious illness (DVT and lymphoma) in Thailand, and although it wasn't all plain sailing, overall they saw me through it. I have no real complaints, though it has to be said that Mrs D-M provided most of the nursing, and I'm not sure I'd have made it through the lymphoma without her.

As for parking fees, I'm not sure the NHS makes all that much out of it, as it's all done through private companies, and in most cases, staff have to pay too! I think there is some truth to the claim that most hospitals are near the city centre and free parking was (ab)used by shoppers.

The NHS gets a lot of flak, but so far they've done more than okay by me.

We'll be a fair distance apart, but it will be lovely to see you both at some point, hopefully during Bee's visit.
Best to H. xx
This is the way
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

:( Best of luck to you DM, we'll be thinking about you on here. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Thanks Pete, I'll give updates and continue making caustic interventions every now and then!
This is the way
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

By the way, VS, don't forget to find out if you're entitled to some refund from the Thai 'social services'.
This is the way
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Good Luck! Not only has technology advanced in the Western world, but medical knowledge also! Plus we need the caustic interventions!!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.