Foreign Bars - are you welcome?

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
Post Reply
europtimiste
Guru
Guru
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 12:19 pm

Foreign Bars - are you welcome?

Post by europtimiste » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:55 pm

handdrummer wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:49 pm
you can go to any western country and not be "treated with courtesy." try a café in the French countryside, north Germany, the U.S. south, midwest or nearly any small town. Foreigners are neither wanted nor welcome, or in the U.S. south, if you're not from there you're a foreigner.
I agree.

europtimiste
Guru
Guru
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 12:19 pm

Re: Why aren't there bars like this in Hua Hin?

Post by europtimiste » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:04 pm

Name Taken wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:33 am
In reply to europtimiste
I mean don't try and become a 'regular' because one day you will go to your favorite Thai brothel/karaoke bar and they will just tell you to LEAVE. This isn't even taking into account that most of these places are deserted and they are also very far apart and spread out so you will be putting some serious miles/kilometers on your vehicle going to these places.
There is absolutely no desire by the Thai Government and by Thai people to integrate foreigners into Thai society.

I am sorry for you if you experienced the "LEAVE". It never happened to me.
I am not a karaoke fan, but I went sometimes with farang friends who wanted to know about those places. We never had any problem.
About integrating in Thai society, we are too different and from different culture and education, NO QUESTION.

"Better go with a Thai friend" You mean having a minder like a foreigner has to have in North Korea? :laugh:
This comment was dedicated to people, who have no guts to experience some new places alone. In Thailand you can do it, if you behave correctly.
In N. Korea, you have no choice.
In Japan, I had the opportunity to visit brothels managed by the Yakuza, this thanks to a Japanese friend.
Alone would be risky.

User avatar
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended
Posts: 1041
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:57 pm

Re: Why aren't there bars like this in Hua Hin?

Post by Name Taken » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:59 pm

handdrummer wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:49 pm
you can go to any western country and not be "treated with courtesy." try a café in the French countryside, north Germany, the U.S. south, midwest or nearly any small town. Foreigners are neither wanted nor welcome, or in the U.S. south, if you're not from there you're a foreigner.
That must be why some people refer to Thailand as the 'Alabama of Asia'. :laugh:

User avatar
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended
Posts: 1041
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:57 pm

Re: Why aren't there bars like this in Hua Hin?

Post by Name Taken » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:04 pm

europtimiste wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:04 pm
Name Taken wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:33 am
In reply to europtimiste
I mean don't try and become a 'regular' because one day you will go to your favorite Thai brothel/karaoke bar and they will just tell you to LEAVE. This isn't even taking into account that most of these places are deserted and they are also very far apart and spread out so you will be putting some serious miles/kilometers on your vehicle going to these places.
There is absolutely no desire by the Thai Government and by Thai people to integrate foreigners into Thai society.

I am sorry for you if you experienced the "LEAVE". It never happened to me.
I am not a karaoke fan, but I went sometimes with farang friends who wanted to know about those places. We never had any problem.
About integrating in Thai society, we are too different and from different culture and education, NO QUESTION.

"Better go with a Thai friend" You mean having a minder like a foreigner has to have in North Korea? :laugh:
This comment was dedicated to people, who have no guts to experience some new places alone. In Thailand you can do it, if you behave correctly.
In N. Korea, you have no choice.
In Japan, I had the opportunity to visit brothels managed by the Yakuza, this thanks to a Japanese friend.
Alone would be risky.
And I have seen foreigners behave very badly in the U.S. and I have never encountered a situation where a foreigner was told to leave even if they were behaving badly. As a matter of fact I have seen a few situations in the U.S. where other people/bystanders were even supporting or encouraging the foreigners bad behavior.

europtimiste
Guru
Guru
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 12:19 pm

Re: Why aren't there bars like this in Hua Hin?

Post by europtimiste » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:45 pm

Name Taken wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:04 pm
europtimiste wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:04 pm
Name Taken wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:33 am
In reply to europtimiste


And I have seen foreigners behave very badly in the U.S. and I have never encountered a situation where a foreigner was told to leave even if they were behaving badly. As a matter of fact I have seen a few situations in the U.S. where other people/bystanders were even supporting or encouraging the foreigners bad behavior.
I know a little about US countryside bars, but as far as I experienced,I feel safer and more relax in a Thai countryside bar than in the US.

User avatar
hhfarang
Hero
Hero
Posts: 10858
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:27 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: Why aren't there bars like this in Hua Hin?

Post by hhfarang » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:21 pm

handdrummer wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:49 pm
you can go to any western country and not be "treated with courtesy." try a café in the French countryside, north Germany, the U.S. south, midwest or nearly any small town. Foreigners are neither wanted nor welcome, or in the U.S. south, if you're not from there you're a foreigner.
I have to disagree with that. You must have never visited any formerly Confederate state. The U.S. South is well known for friendliness, politeness and "southern hospitality". It's places like New York, Chicago, or parts of California where you'll be ignored or dismissed out of hand.

From Wikipedia:

"Southern hospitality is a phrase used in American English to describe the stereotype of residents of the Southern United States as particularly warm, sweet, and welcoming to visitors to their homes, or to the South in general."
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?

handdrummer
Guru
Guru
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:58 am

Re: Why aren't there bars like this in Hua Hin?

Post by handdrummer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:03 pm

hhfarang, I lived in northwest florida, known as lower Alabama, for 19 years. I lived in Calif., off and on, for over 20 years, Chicago for 6 years and have spent time in NY city. the people in the last three places are amongst the friendliest I'm met anywhere. The south is my least favorite place in the world. perhaps you've had a different experience. have you lived in any of the places that you've mentioned?

oakdale160
Legend
Legend
Posts: 2980
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:51 pm

Re: Why aren't there bars like this in Hua Hin?

Post by oakdale160 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:01 am

I have to agree with Handdrummer, people in the US south are very friendly to other southerners but they are very tribal and not too friendly to outsiders. You can be fooled by the superficial greetings etc ("Y'all come round and see us anytime y'all") I found New England to be far more welcoming.

User avatar
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended
Posts: 1041
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:57 pm

Re: Why aren't there bars like this in Hua Hin?

Post by Name Taken » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:13 am

europtimiste wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:04 pm
Name Taken wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:33 am
In reply to europtimiste
I mean don't try and become a 'regular' because one day you will go to your favorite Thai brothel/karaoke bar and they will just tell you to LEAVE. This isn't even taking into account that most of these places are deserted and they are also very far apart and spread out so you will be putting some serious miles/kilometers on your vehicle going to these places.
There is absolutely no desire by the Thai Government and by Thai people to integrate foreigners into Thai society.

I am sorry for you if you experienced the "LEAVE". It never happened to me.
I am not a karaoke fan, but I went sometimes with farang friends who wanted to know about those places. We never had any problem.
About integrating in Thai society, we are too different and from different culture and education, NO QUESTION.

"Better go with a Thai friend" You mean having a minder like a foreigner has to have in North Korea? :laugh:
This comment was dedicated to people, who have no guts to experience some new places alone. In Thailand you can do it, if you behave correctly.
In N. Korea, you have no choice.
In Japan, I had the opportunity to visit brothels managed by the Yakuza, this thanks to a Japanese friend.
Alone would be risky.
No offense europtimiste, but that just sounds like :bullshit: and an excuse. Thai people are human just like every other human and they have a brain like every human does and are capable of using their brain to learn and/or change. Saying 'Well, it's part of our culture or we are just too different' is just a lame excuse and :bullshit: that I have heard too many times.

User avatar
hhfarang
Hero
Hero
Posts: 10858
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:27 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: Why aren't there bars like this in Hua Hin?

Post by hhfarang » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:59 pm

handdrummer wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:03 pm
hhfarang, I lived in northwest florida, known as lower Alabama, for 19 years. I lived in Calif., off and on, for over 20 years, Chicago for 6 years and have spent time in NY city. the people in the last three places are amongst the friendliest I'm met anywhere. The south is my least favorite place in the world. perhaps you've had a different experience. have you lived in any of the places that you've mentioned?
I lived in California for 17 years and didn't know the name of one neighbor. I knew everyone for a quarter mile in each direction within 3 months of moving to North Carolina. Also, Florida is not the south. It's more like California. I lived in that state for four years and also didn't know many neighbors. The ones I spoke to (mainly while looking for a house in the neighborhood) all had foreign accents and half of the homes in my area were empty except in winter. I was one of the few "southerners" who lived there. When I lived in both California and Florida people kept to themselves and never came outside (except for children) so you never even saw them. No one in either state made an effort to get to know their neighbors. Where I live now, neighbors come over and introduce themselves, many are seen out walking daily, they have neighborhood parties a couple of times a year, and even strangers wave at you from their cars when you pass them on a neighborhood street. In malls and shops, people hold doors for each other, say excuse me when they need to pass or when they accidently get in your way. Most say please and thank you and I see strangers helping each other all the time. I stopped just last week and gave a stranded motorist a jump start and I would expect the same here if I were on the side of the road with my hood up. It was the same in Tennessee where I lived for thirty years.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?

handdrummer
Guru
Guru
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:58 am

Re: Foreign Bars - are you welcome?

Post by handdrummer » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:50 pm

Northwest Florida is the south. I lived 30 mins. south of the Alabama line and one couldn't tell the difference between the two states. Granted, once you leave the panhandle, Florida becomes another country and it's as you described. I lived in east and west L.A., Venice, the valley and a canyon north of Burbank and always knew my neighbors. I loved Asheville and it's people and had I not come to Thailand I'd be living there. Of course Asheville isn't the deep south but still retains some of it's better qualities. One caveat; I lived in Ca. during a different era so I can't say what it's like now.

handdrummer
Guru
Guru
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:58 am

Re: Foreign Bars - are you welcome?

Post by handdrummer » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:51 pm

Northwest Florida is the south. I lived 30 mins. south of the Alabama line and one couldn't tell the difference between the two states. Granted, once you leave the panhandle, Florida becomes another country and it's as you described. I lived in east and west L.A., Venice, the valley and a canyon north of Burbank and always knew my neighbors. I loved Asheville and it's people and had I not come to Thailand I'd be living there. Of course Asheville isn't the deep south but still retains some of it's better qualities. One caveat; I lived in Ca. during a different era so I can't say what it's like now.

handdrummer
Guru
Guru
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:58 am

Re: Foreign Bars - are you welcome?

Post by handdrummer » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:52 pm

p.s. I think we've forgotten the original thread. sorry fellow forumites.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests