Duplicate Requests - Duplicate Info

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
PeteC

Duplicate Requests - Duplicate Info

Post by PeteC »

The above title is more kind than "Dead Brain Cells" :shock:

This is a thread to record short term memory loss among members. Please copy/paste any post link where the same person has asked the same question which was answered, and/or initiated a new thread with info they already posted, within a six (6) month period. :mrgreen: Seriously, as we may get more than we think, including from me. :thumb: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Duplicate Requests - Duplicate Info

Post by Nereus »

Say what? :? :?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

You know, after so many years here I still find myself in moments of distraction heading for a round-about counter clockwise, and on certain poorly designed highway on-ramps heading for the right lane direction as an entrance. Not drinking at all! :mrgreen: Only back to the US every few years but it's so ingrained I'll probably never be totally free of it here. In turn, I make the same bloody mistakes in reverse when I'm driving in the US on visits. :banghead: I don't know if you can label this phenom dead brain cells, or something more complicated concerning human nature. :? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Nothing strange about that - just adapted to the Thai style of driving :run:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I don't know if you can label this phenom dead brain cells, or something more complicated concerning human nature...
Part of it is a phenomena called "muscle memory". Something that was touched on in helicopter training. It can be triggered when something unexpected occurs, OR you are thinking about something else entirely unrelated. There is also the trap of expecting something to happen as you expect it to happen in your mind, in place of thinking about what SHOULD be happening in your current situation. :shock:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Slow news day for Pete! Many things in this article are relevant to what we do every day. Not "dead brain cells", but human processes, and how and why they happen.

http://www.flightsafetyaustralia.com/20 ... lot-error/
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Thanks for that Nereus, interesting. It made me think than in this day and age why isn't the pre-flight checklist automated with a talking voice confirming each step, the outcome and automatic activation if found not set correctly? I would think a system like that would save lives, but the bottom line may be "money" and the airlines hesitation to spend anything they don't have to.

Things like flaps and ice on a wing seems easy to automate, warn and correct, or alert that it needs to be corrected. I'm sure a hundred other things could be as well. Pete :cheers:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

There are many variable items on any checklist. Flap settings may depend on weight, wind direction, type of runway surface, obstacle clearance etc., to name just a few. Ice is associated with surface conditions and should be part of the weather report incorporated into the flight plan, but there has been many accidents due to unnoticed ice, or ice that has accumulated between using the check list and actually taking off.

Modern procedures use CRM(crew resource management)in an attempt to try and prevent either wrong or incorrect inputs, both for checklists and normal operating procedures(SOP). While there are human beings in the cockpit there is going to be mistakes regardless of how much automation is involved.

In my old single pilot helicopter this was never a problem, as it was just my stupid butt on the line most of the time! :cheers: