Why Is it.....?

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Why Is it.....?

Post by HHTel »

prcscct wrote:Read the below. A long read and a bit complicated but has the facts on where the world was and where it is now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_overpopulation
Yes, it is a long read. I read the whole of it. A little is out of date and some parts contradict others.
It does agree on the falling birthrate:

Europe – 2.66 to 1.41
North America – 3.47 to 1.99
Oceania – 3.87 to 2.30
Central America – 6.38 to 2.66
South America – 5.75 to 2.49
Asia (excluding Middle East) – 5.85 to 2.43
Middle East & North Africa – 6.99 to 3.37
Sub-Saharan Africa – 6.7 to 5.53
Excluding the observed reversal in fertility decrease for high development, the projected world number of children born per woman for 2050 would be around 2.05. Only the Middle East & North Africa (2.09) and Sub-Saharan Africa (2.61) would then have numbers greater than 2.05.[81]

The replacement birthrate (static population) is said to be 2.1, accounting for children that die before adulthood. The birthrate will continue to fall which eventually will lead to a population shrinkage. Most of the overpopulation today is because of the increased ageing population. The younger population is much smaller therefore causing a shrinkage in the future. China has now scrapped it's 'one child' policy but it's not expected to affect the birth rate by very much and they see a shrinkage of the population by 2050, peaking at around 2030.

China
In 2013, a relaxation of policy allowed over 12 million couples to apply to have a second child. Only about 12 percent of eligible couples applied. When the one-child policy ends in 2016, most couples will be restricted to two children. But that may not address all of the issues. After decades of the one-child policy, coupled with new economic and social pressures to succeed, many couples have decided to stop with one child, or to not have any at all. So with a national birth rate well below replacement level of 2.1 and some urban birth rates under 1, China faces a new challenge. How do they provide for an older population while also encouraging younger residents to have more children?

The increase in population is almost entirely created by an aging population.

There are many more articles that contradict the ones referenced in that particular Wikipedia entry. How would you limit population growth? Apart from Africa and the middle east, controlling birthrate is already happening naturally. Maybe bring in a forced euthanasia once you reach a certain age!!!
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

RCer wrote:I'm still waiting for someone to tell me why buttons on a drive up ATM have brail on them.
So you can continue to text whilst using the machine :twisted:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

One thing that struck me from that report indicated that if India's population starts consuming on a per capita basis like the US consumes, they would need two earth size planets for the needed resources. If that's for India, I assume China would need three planets, and they're more likely to increase consumption much more rapidly than India.

You're not going to decrease consumption unless you abandon capitalism and the economic growth model, and that's not going to happen anytime soon.

So, population growth my be stabilizing or even decreasing at present, but use of resources of all descriptions continue to increase. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Post by Stargeezer »

Why is it, that I have to pay a carbon tax in my province in Canada, when we are actually
really low in the puking the junk into the Atmosphere? Especially compared with: ..
INDIA, CHINA, RUSSIA,MIDDLE EAST, SOUTH AMERICA, oh and lets not forget USA all pollute
the air a lot more, but OH NO, Ontario, British Columbia (B.C.) and after January 2017
ALBERTA Will now be paying the new money grab called Carbon tax!. Even the Prime Minister
of Canada , who lives in Ottawa, and jets all over the place, wants the whole country to start
paying a carbon tax. Maybe I will have to move to Thailand to escape the insanity that has taken
over the politics of Canada.
Sorry my bad, I am just ranting. I guess that is because I am a senior, retired and only
able to cast one vote in the next election.
Stargeezer
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Post by Stargeezer »

Why are the America people still worried about Donald Trump, Just listen to
Justin Trudeau in Cuba, what a dolt! He is just not ready to run a country.
Oops I guess I should watch myself as PM Trudeau is just trying to be like
PET, his dad. And I am still going to give Donald a chance, as the Americans were
good enough to give President Obama a chance for 8 years.
Geezer
pictures of it.
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Post by Stargeezer »

Why are guns so easy to own in Thailand. I keep hearing of all the people killed in Thailand, by guns
as well as knives, and other methods, but it seems that guns are easy to buy and have.
I am only a yearly visitor, and not an expat, so this is my curious question for HH forum.
Geezer
pictures of it.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

No, not really. Very hard to purchase guns here through legitimate sources unless a person is military/law enforcement. There are a lot of left over war weapons going back to the Vietnam war that have found their way into families who tend to keep them in the house for self defense, mainly pistols, and they probably get into wrong hands from time to time. There is also a blackmarket as the old adage "this is Thailand and you can buy anything" is still true to an extent regardless of what the gov preaches. I would think gun crime is quite low here as compared to many other countries. When time I'll look for stats. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Stargeezer wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:12 am Why are guns so easy to own in Thailand. I keep hearing of all the people killed in Thailand, by guns
as well as knives, and other methods, but it seems that guns are easy to buy and have.
I am only a yearly visitor, and not an expat, so this is my curious question for HH forum.
Geezer
As a life long firearms enthusiast who enjoys the sport of competition shooting, repairing guns, and collecting them. Believe me, if they were easily available, I'd have them.

This is the only thing I left behind in the US that I actually miss.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Lots of illegal firearms cross borders both ways - roam any border market and you'll eventually come across something of the sort. Seems to be a bit of a status thing as well.

However, as Pete has pointed out, legitimate ownership is difficult. Note that this is also to be taken with a large grain of salt.

Many govt officials use their privilege to buy a firearm 'for investment' even though the vast majority haven't a clue on how to use them. Also, policemen have to buy their own sidearm (no, the state does not provide) so when these guys pass on, there is a firearm in limbo floating around the residence.

Responsible firearm ownership is something of a misnomer - I have nothing against ownership, just that it should have proper controls built in.
วินเชนท์