Interesting things from the WWW

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Interesting things from the WWW

Post by Bristolian »

arcadianagain wrote:On the other hand foxes are vermin. They stole my pet duck and chicken and gave my dogs mange. Support hunting.
Interestingly (at least I think so) the common U.K. fox controls its own numbers based mostly on territory but also on resources available. The population is much more stable than human population.
Researchers have not found any credible link of infection between foxes and dogs. Both cats and dogs will avoid contact with foxes and vice versa. Foxes have lived with man almost since man has existed, and whilst living comfortably around us they are not drawn to cities but simply unoccupied space from their own species.

I actually love to see foxes in either a rural or city environment, they simply add to the diversity, complexity and enjoyment.

I can fully accept that to a farming community they could be vermin and equally accept that farmers will want to control their numbers. No issue!

Fox hunting on the other hand is simply barbaric.......
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Bristolian wrote:Fox hunting on the other hand is simply barbaric.......
Absolutely! I come from rural Suffolk, and hunts are part of the culture. Thankfully, the local hunts now do 'drag hunting', and people can ride their horses around the countryside without ripping apart a terrified animal. The beagles can have fun following a pre-arranged scent trail. Everyone's happy (including the foxes).

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Post by Felipesed1 »

Beagles would rather follow the trail of a real hare than an artificial scent!
The foxes are probably not "happy", because they are more likely to be shot, with a shotgun, without a guaranteed instant kill.
Hounds kill foxes instantly by biting them across the back of the neck. Any "ripping apart" would happen after the fox is dead.
Please leave your anthropomorphic comparisons to the gutter press!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

[quote="Felipesed1"]Beagles would rather follow the trail of a real hare than an artificial scent! That's a rather anthropomorphic statement! How would you know what a beagle prefers?

Hounds kill foxes instantly by biting them across the back of the neck. Any "ripping apart" would happen after the fox is dead. Oh, so a pack of beagles nominate the 'neck biter'? And the rest of them stand by to applaud?

Please leave your anthropomorphic comparisons to the gutter press! I'm not being anthropomorphic, I just understand that all living creatures experience fear and pain. A hunted and attacked fox will undoubtedly experience both.

VS
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

in order for beagles to applaud they would have to stand for a long period of time on their hind legs, that's assuming, always dangerous, that they applauded with their fore legs. as an alternative they could bark their approval but that may confuse the humans watching because they couldn't be certain of the beagles motivation and demonstrating the beagles ability to anthropomorphize them own selves is the whole purpose for the beagles to signify their approval. oh those signifying beagles, how they warm the cockles of me olde 'eart.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Love it! :lach:

VS
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Post by Felipesed1 »

VS, you do realise that beagles are used for hunting hares, not foxes, don't you.
Have you ever seen how terriers kill rats? They grab them by the neck and shake very quickly, so as to break their necks.
Hounds do likewise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

One of our Soi dogs used to grab snakes, shaking them so as to prevent a bite and then throwing them high in the air. Then she would run and grab the snake and repeat that procedure until it was dead. Once she threw the snake right over my wife who was standing nearby! She almost had a heart attack...
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Vital Spark wrote:Love it! :lach:

VS
thank you. sometimes I think I'm only entertaining myself. :naughty:
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

"This animation shows how fast a rocket must go to leave every planet"

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/animatio ... 59658.html
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

"The Most Desirable Passports On Earth Don’t Include America’s

A passport allows one to be a citizen of the world—but some think it should also work for you. As in, if you’re wealthy and well-traveled, it should be a bit like an exclusive invitation-only credit card: lots of benefits, lots of perks, lots of points.

That’s the view of Nomad Capitalist, a firm that recently ranked 199 countries corresponding to their “value of citizenship.” In addition to visa-free travel options, this ranking (PDF) uses a weighted approach that considers the amount of taxes a country levies on citizens who live abroad, along with the nation’s overall global reputation, civil and personal freedoms, and the ability to hold multiple passports simultaneously. And no, America, you’re not even in the top 20.

..."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/most-des ... 06049.html
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

America's Nuclear Moonscape

Established in 1950, the Nevada Test Site (NTS) was the main United States location for the testing of nuclear devices for both military and peaceful uses. Between 1945 and the voluntary suspension of testing in 1992, the U.S. conducted 1,051 nuclear tests worldwide – 925 of these were at the NTS. The legacy of that testing is evident in the image to the right of the NTS’s Yucca Flats area. Locations for 603 of the tests are plotted in 5-year increments. Click your mouse on the timeline or a symbol to learn more.

http://storymaps.esri.com/stories/2014/ ... moonscape/
YNWA
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

"The most expensive city in the world is NOT New York or San Francisco

Country City Rank
Singapore Singapore 1
Hong Kong Hong Kong 2
Switzerland Zurich 3
Japan Tokyo 4
Japan Osaka 5
South Korea Seoul 6
Switzerland Geneva 7
France Paris 7
U.S. New York 9
Denmark Copenhagen 9
..."

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-mo ... yptr=yahoo
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

hhfarang wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:59 pm "The most expensive city in the world is NOT New York or San Francisco

Country City Rank
Singapore Singapore 1
Hong Kong Hong Kong 2
Switzerland Zurich 3
Japan Tokyo 4
Japan Osaka 5
South Korea Seoul 6
Switzerland Geneva 7
France Paris 7
U.S. New York 9
Denmark Copenhagen 9
..."

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-mo ... yptr=yahoo
It depends who you listen to or at least what article you read http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/201704 ... nsive-city
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

"Finland Is Officially The World's Safest Country

Looking for a destination for your next solo adventure? You might want to start searching for flights to Finland, which was just named the safest country in the world by the World Economic Forum (WEF).

The Scandinavian country beat out its neighbours Sweden and Norway, as well as New Zealand and Canada, to take the top spot in the WEF's "safety and security" section of their biennial Travel and Tourism Competitiveness Report.

See the full top 10 here:

The World's 10 Safest Countries, According to the WEF

Finland – score: 6.7
United Arab Emirates – 6.6
Iceland – 6.6
Oman - 6.5
Hong Kong SAR – 6.5
Singapore – 6.5
Norway – 6.4
Switzerland – 6.4
Rwanda – 6.4
Qatar – 6.3

The WEF's safety and security rankings were measured by "the extent to which a country exposes tourists and businesses to security risks mainly related to serious harm to people (violence and terrorism)," according to the report. Petty crime was not taken into account for these rankings.

While it may be surprising to see countries like the UAE, Oman and Qatar place in the top 10 despite their proximity to war-torn countries in the Middle East, what's even more shocking is how low the United Kingdom and the United States rank on the list - the UK comes in at 78 while the US is all the way down at 84, beneath countries like Nicaragua, Zimbabwe and Kuwait, just to name a few.

Colombia, unfortunately, took the very last spot as the most unsafe country on the list, closely followed by the likes of Yemen, El Salvador, Pakistan and Nigeria. Since only 136 countries were profiled in this study in 2017, it's worth noting that several places - Syria being a notable absence - were not included in the rankings."

https://www.yahoo.com/style/finland-off ... 04550.html