Storm Of The Century in US

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Storm Of The Century in US

Post by Frank La Rue »

My Thai Wife and I are sitting in our kitchen Saturday morning as I write - we both read on our respective news websites - hers Thai, mine Norwegian - about the 100 - year storm in the US with 70 CM of snow. hitting the East coast from New York to Washington.

http://www.foxnews.com/us.html?intcmp=hpnav

Also North Carolina is mentioned as hard hit. I strikes me - isn't that where HHfarang relocated to - i order to eskape th Thai heat?

LOL - looks that you've gotten more than you bargained for HHfarang - have you got any adventure stories to tell from this storm as you presuambly are eeking it out in your den?
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
PeteC

Re: Storm Of The Century in US

Post by PeteC »

It's 0300 hours there and they will indeed awaken to a mess at dawn. HHF's area is right on the edge and he may miss the heavy part of the storm.

Coverage is extensive on CNN, but as the middle of the night they are taking a break now. Check CNN in about 3 hours when the correspondents are back on the street live with cameras. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

Yes, you are right, hhfarang is probably in deep asleep as we speak, oblivious to the storm arround him. Alternatively he's got to go into deep hibernation for the rest of the winter to survive the snowfall outside.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Frank La Rue wrote:Yes, you are right, hhfarang is probably in deep asleep as we speak, oblivious to the storm arround him. Alternatively he's got to go into deep hibernation for the rest of the winter to survive the snowfall outside.
Here no different from yesterday. We got about an inch of snow and a little ice overnight on Thursday. As it didn't get above freezing on Friday it still looks the same this morning. Occasional light snow flurries now is all. My wife is enjoying her first ever snow day off work! She's out playing in it right now.
DSC04479.JPG
DSC04479.JPG (225.22 KiB) Viewed 2137 times
Attachments
DSC04482.JPG
DSC04482.JPG (246.35 KiB) Viewed 2137 times
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

Nice Thai Girl in the bottom right - hand corner of the pic........!
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Frank La Rue wrote:Nice Thai Girl in the bottom right - hand corner of the pic........!
That's no girl; that's my wife. :D She's in her late 40's but, unlike me :oops: , holding up very well indeed!
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

hhfarang wrote:
Frank La Rue wrote:Nice Thai Girl in the bottom right - hand corner of the pic........!
That's no girl; that's my wife. :D She's in her late 40's but, unlike me :oops: , holding up very well indeed!

That's what I thought - and yes holding up very, very well, like my wife Lek at 47. I am turning 61 in 2 months and very fortunate to have such a beautiful, young girl at my side, like you. :D
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

12573714_1713621188849588_1245417048261974694_n.jpg
12573714_1713621188849588_1245417048261974694_n.jpg (52.32 KiB) Viewed 2113 times
YNWA
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

huahin4ever wrote:
12573714_1713621188849588_1245417048261974694_n.jpg
I remember the scenery in both pics, the bottom one is what it looked like in my childhood when the road was cleared for snow in May/June for people to make it by car accross the local mountain of Haukelid - on road from the west coast to eastern Norway.

The top picture is like I experienced it at least twice in Weybridge, Surrey, UK at my oldest son's school. I remember him coming back home telling me the school was closed due to ice and snow.
To me as a Norwegian this was ridicilous and I didin't believe him.

It turned out the school WAS closed as they had no insurance against accidents if kids feell on the slippery ice and they had no grit available to grit the schoolyard.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Frank La Rue wrote: they had no grit available to grit the schoolyard.
Thats the problem when storms hit in places like North Carolina and other states that don't get snow often (or to theis extent). They do not have the facilities to deal with it.

I lived in Maine, and Northern Michigan where the lower picture could sometimes have been taken. It takes a lot of snow, at a fast rate, to close anything. A few feet of snow would slow things down, but not for long since they had the equipment, and experience, to deal with it.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.