Lets Assume - what are people thinking

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
ExpatJohn
Rookie
Rookie

Lets Assume - what are people thinking

Post by ExpatJohn »

What say yee mighty Hua Hin folk. There are some who when they see me assume and it bothers me. O.K so I am mid fifties aged male(Canadian but how would they know). It covers a gamut of groups. From the back packers who are rude to the point of blunt when I say good morning at market village to the older ladies who glare at me on how dare I interrupt their journey of discovery and what am I selling. Then there is the in between who look at me like I am a sexpat(mostly of the female variety)..sigh..I cant win. I know why should I let it bug me but it does and all these people don`t even know me they just assume.. :banghead:
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Lets Assume

Post by migrant »

I get those looks. Same age group, American, and a younger Thai wife. Personally I don't feel bothered. We have friends here in the same circumstances and they warned us, but both the wife, and I, have pretty thick skin!!

I figured the ones that assume the worst are ones I am better off not knowing anyway!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think I get the same looks when I'm out and sat with my 25 year old son (who looks 100% Thai). Does it bother me? Not one little bit - I actually find it quite amusing - especially when they hear him speak English with a very broad Bristol accent.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
m_right
Guru
Guru

Post by m_right »

I just feel sorry for them. Nothing I can do to enlighten them. It reminds me how lucky I am to live outside the box.
"Religion is What Keeps the Poor from Murdering the Rich" -- Napoleon Bonaparte
dalmatiandave
Professional
Professional

Post by dalmatiandave »

Sorry but really don't understand the thread. What are people meant to be assuming.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

I'm with dalmationdave... I have no idea what this thread is about!
Farang
Ace
Ace

Post by Farang »

I assume it is about assuming.

Assumers will assume.
"There's no plausible or convincing reason, certainly no evidential one, to believe that there is such an entity (= deity) and that all observable phenomena, including the cosmological ones... are explicable without the hypothesis; you don't need the assumption."
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: Lets Assume - what are people thinking

Post by STEVE G »

As for the back packers, their attitude could come from having fifty odd year old males like me looking at them like they're parasites for not being at work like I was at that age and in my experience, many older ladies disapprove of so much that it's hardly worth trying to find the couple of things that don't offend them, like highland terriers and digestive biscuits. ( Perhaps they can get the latter in Tescos! )
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Farang wrote:I assume it is about assuming.

Assumers will assume.
I assume Farang's assumption is correct.
...many older ladies disapprove of so much that it's hardly worth trying to find the couple of things that don't offend them, like highland terriers and digestive biscuits. ( Perhaps they can get the latter in Tescos! )
I had a couple of highland terriers and they were offensive. Chewed up everything, even furniture.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
dalmatiandave
Professional
Professional

Post by dalmatiandave »

I lost it at the bad English.

Anyhow I am sorry I posted, wasted my time and those adding to the thread. Must be some interesting threads here somewhere.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Nowadays I find that the problem being discussed in this thread was more apparent in Thailand that in the U.S. People we've met here since our return don't seem pay much attention to our 21 year age difference. We did get the looks from Farang families in Hua Hin, mostly tourists I think.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Picked my son (5) up from school last week, here in UK.
The father of another boy in my sons class said to my son, "it is nice to see that your granddad is picking you up today"

My son said to the other boy "is your dad always this stupid" to which the other boy said "yes, he is". Then he went on to explain to his dad, that I was his father, not grandfather.

I just smiled and said to the other father "out of the mouths of babes". I watched him color up, as I walked away laughing.

If you assume something without knowing the facts, your an idiot. :wink:

We always get looks in the UK when my wife and I are walking together, as there is a big age difference.

Do we care, of course not. But there are a hell of a lot of idiots around. :neener:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.