Christmas 2015 is coming - it's official

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Re: Christmas 2015 is coming - it's official

Post by J.J.B. »

I had heard that there was a trade dispute between Thailand and the US (where most turkeys are imported from) and this had led to the shortage. Can't remember where I heard that from but it makes more sense to me than any possible fears around bird flu.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It's not a trade dispute. More than 30 countries have banned US fowl because of the huge outbreak of Avian Flu. It's a fact.

However, the US is not the only country producing turkeys. Israel is one of the biggest consumers of turkey. Importers should be doing deals with other countries.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

J.J.B. wrote:I had heard that there was a trade dispute between Thailand and the US (where most turkeys are imported from) and this had led to the shortage. Can't remember where I heard that from but it makes more sense to me than any possible fears around bird flu.
"Will the worst bird flu outbreak in US history finally make us reconsider factory farming chicken?
The avian flu outbreak that has more than doubled egg prices across the country has also led to the death of more than 48 million birds in a dozen states, according to the US Department of Agriculture."

I agree with other posters in that this news was a surprise to say the least. The more I've looked at it, the more I read that this is massive. The CDC (Centre for Disease Control and Prevention) has reported it extensively. Dozens of countries have banned all bird imports from the US.

Why isn't this common knowledge and only comes to surface here when trying to order a turkey for Christmas?

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/vital-signs/ ... en-farming
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Here's more in it. It appears all was taken care of by July, with the proviso that it "may resurface in fall, winter...". There is a note also that properly cooking poultry makes eating safe in the slim chance you buy a bird with the problem. Regardless I can see why any country would take the simple path and just ban imports until the all clear is sounded and a good amount time passes after that to be certain. Another article states that Japan has started allowing imports again. Pete :cheers:

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/avianflu/h5/
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

So with the banning of US imports, has anyone found a supply of frozen turkeys?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Not at Makro in HH, they have a notice saying problems of supply of turkeys due to bird flu in the US