White Knuckle Crosswinds

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
PeteC

White Knuckle Crosswinds

Post by PeteC »

Welcome to your Monday morning flight. We guarantee you'll be awake after we land. :shock:

Other videos and stories at link: http://flightclub.jalopnik.com/

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Re: White Knuckle Crosswinds

Post by pharvey »

I've flown into Schiphol on many occasion and have certainly experienced a few "interesting" moments on KLM's Cityhoppers! However, one of the most nervy landings I have ever had was coming into Hong Kong's Chek Lap Kok Airport from Tokyo - felt like the plane was literally going to flip over - definitely a "check-the-underwear" moment.... :oops:

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Hong Kong's Chek Lap Kok Airport
The scariest landings I ever experienced were at the old Kai Tak Airport in Hong Kong. To line up with the runway planes had to literally fly between high rise apartment buildings a low altitude. You could see people watching TV in their living rooms out of the window next to your seat at very close range as the plane went by. :shock:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Worst I had was landing in Tegucigalpa, Honduras. Very short runway that ends in a cliff over a housing tract. I was told only certain pilots were allowed to land there.

Very abrupt turn on landing, after a "corkscrew" approach
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I posted videos about old Kai Tak long ago but no idea where thread is now. Here are a few "white knucklers" again. Pete :cheers:

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Aaaahhhh KaiTak....

The only airport in the world where you could pick clean underpants off the washing lines as you browned your own in parallel.

Remember it well.