Even atheists prefer "Merry Christmas" to "Happy Holidays."

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
dozer
Ace
Ace

Even atheists prefer "Merry Christmas" to "Happy Holidays."

Post by dozer »

Even atheists prefer "Merry Christmas" to "Happy Holidays." The war on Christmas is a myth.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/won ... jesus-won/
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Re: Even atheists prefer "Merry Christmas" to "Happy Holiday

Post by Pleng »

I don't think atheists are the group that people are trying to avoid offending...
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

I would not want anyone to avoid trying to offend atheists. I, like most atheists believe the world would be a better place without religion. If religion helps believers feel better about dying, then that is fine, but for atheists religion is of no use to us.
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Offend or not ......"Merry Christmas" if you don't like Christmas or are offended by it ......live with it!
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

A Merry Christmas and a Happy and Prosperous New Year to you Bristolian.

I am certainly not offended by Merry Christmas, prefer it to Happy Holiday, which I get from my American colleagues.

Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

^^ dozer I also do not have strong enough conviction to be offended by anything you have posted here. But I do believe that people are entitled to their own beliefs providing they do not force them on others.

Coming from the UK ....super PC we can't even call a Christmas tree a Christmas tree....its a holiday tree...what the ..,..

Happy Holidays ....Happy Christmas...! No offence on my part intended...
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

Bristolian wrote:^^ dozer I also do not have strong enough conviction to be offended by anything you have posted here. But I do believe that people are entitled to their own beliefs providing they do not force them on others.

Coming from the UK ....super PC we can't even call a Christmas tree a Christmas tree....its a holiday tree...what the ..,..

Happy Holidays ....Happy Christmas...! No offence on my part intended...
In the UK I find that religious minorities are not usually offended by the word "Christmas" but councils and the like get offended on their behalf.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Everybody is entitled to their opinions, and at this time of year I couldn't give a sh*te :thumb: :neener: :wink:

I love Christmas - it is a time for friends and family to get together, get pissed and have fun and hopefully enjoy life for a bit......... probably not the way JC intended, but.......

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

Atheists come in handy at this time of the year. I fly out tonight to cover for a colleague, a (Christmas Christian) over the festive period, claims he still believes in Santa Claus.

jimmy40
Professional
Professional

Post by jimmy40 »

dozer wrote:Atheists come in handy at this time of the year. I fly out tonight to cover for a colleague, a (Christmas Christian) over the festive period, claims he still believes in Santa Claus.
So true, I am with the church of the flying spaghetti monster. Before you laugh it is as real as any other religion. Our simple belief is do no harm happy holidays :cheers:
m_right
Guru
Guru

Post by m_right »

Why isn't it "Happy Birthday Jesus"? Does "mas" mean birthday in Latin or something?
"Religion is What Keeps the Poor from Murdering the Rich" -- Napoleon Bonaparte
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

".....In the word Christmas, the suffix -mas evolves from the Old English word maesse meaning festival, feast day or mass......"

....and, there is an alternative meaning at the link as well.

https://onedaringjew.wordpress.com/2012 ... christmas/
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

dozer wrote:Even atheists prefer "Merry Christmas" to "Happy Holidays."
Of course we do. It's a combo of pagan rituals and iconography that celebrates the Winter Solstice. Plus some spirit in the sky elements which can be ignored easily.
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

Post by Dr Mike »

I hada jewish friend who decorated his house, had a tree, presents and big dinner. He said I dont believe that JC was the son of god, but thats not going to stop me having a good party.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I must have lived in a different England to the one described by several folk here. I worked for one of the largest and most ethnically diverse of all London Boroughs, and each year they put up Christmas decorations, a big Christmas tree, had a big staff Christmas party and generally celebrated all things Christmas. I know you read of the odd daft sound bite by those that like to spout such things - and the media is sure good at sniffing them out, but they are vary much in a minority.
Talk is cheap