Things I learnt today

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
Siani
Legend
Legend

Re: Things I learnt today

Post by Siani »

dtaai-maai wrote:I was about to post that I'd just learned that the expression 'so long' was introduced to English by soldiers returning from Malaysia, where they used a similar sounding word which derives from 'salaam'.

What I have in fact learned is that no one is quite sure of the origin of this expression, although there are several theories.
They sang this in the sound of music too! So long , farewell....when the Von Trappes were escaping....at the concert. They still say so long quite a lot in Wales. A bit like «see ya»
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Siani wrote:
dtaai-maai wrote:I was about to post that I'd just learned that the expression 'so long' was introduced to English by soldiers returning from Malaysia, where they used a similar sounding word which derives from 'salaam'.

What I have in fact learned is that no one is quite sure of the origin of this expression, although there are several theories.
/quote]

I've always thought it came from Jewish and Arabic greetings in New York 'Shalom,Shalom, or Salaam,Salaam'
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I learned what I suspected... I prefer 60 degrees F to 90 degrees F!!!!!
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ If me, I think I would wait until April for a move, even to NC. Winters can be nasty there and it would be oh so lovely to arrive with the Spring, flowers and all that. :D I hope it goes real well for you. :thumb: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

It was yesterday actually but never mind. We had decided to drive back to Bangkok during the evening whe usually I drive back very early Monday morning. For some reason, school holidays maybe, the traffic was horrendous at two set of road works, on in Tha Yang and the second closer to Samut Sakhon.

I had only been driving for 45 minutes but being stuck in an endless traffic jam approaching Tha Yang was not exactly filling me with endless good feeling towards my fellow commuters.

My son was already in The land of nod, snuggled up on the back seat with a pillow, blanket and two seatbelts. My wife, who normally stays awake to keep me company, was also in the land of Zzzzeee. So it was me on my own.... Already having started a can of iced coffee and two more at the ready, I moved ever closer to the roadworks. All were asleep, like I say, so I rolled down the window and lit a cigarette, hoping that none would notice, as I normally don't smoke in the UAV (Urban Assult Vehicle - Fortuner) slowly we moved forwards to a car, that had unfortunately broken down in the outside lane, probably due to overheating.

Standing next to the broken down car was a traffic cop. It's a hot evening and the guy is clearly not happy with his lot. As he looked directly at me and my sleeping wife I simply said "Sawadsee krap rot tit mak", to which he broadly smiled and said in a perfect London accent " Evenin' sir, 'ave a safe drive home" and he gave a closed two finger salute, touching the peak of his cap. I think that I smiled uncontrollably for the next 10km.

What did I learn....not all Thai cops are bar stewards. Some are even friendly and this one needs a promotion in customer relations.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Last week, I learned the word for that falling feeling you get when you're asleep. Unfortunately I've forgotten it, but the other day I had the falling feeling again, though for the first time ever I didn't fall forward or down, but dreamt that my office chair tipped over backwards...
This is the way
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

dtaai-maai wrote:Last week, I learned the word for that falling feeling you get when you're asleep. Unfortunately I've forgotten it, but the other day I had the falling feeling again, though for the first time ever I didn't fall forward or down, but dreamt that my office chair tipped over backwards...
Well DM you better take heed and get a grip. I reckon it's the stress imposed on you by BB to judge our captions

The dream gurus reckon:

'When we fall in our dreams it really means we have lost control with some sort of situation in your life. Falling in your dream is a way your unconscious communicates with your conscious to let you know that something needs to be fixed right away.'
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.