The 35 most powerful militaries in the world

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
PeteC

Re: The 35 most powerful militaries in the world

Post by PeteC »

You're buying some of the F-35 Lockheed aircraft. Some models (or all?) are capable of vertical landing and take off like the Harrier. I would think those purchases will be going on your new carriers. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, that's right Pete. Still strange that we're running a fixed wing aircraft carrier at the moment with no fixed wing aircraft capability.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Big Boy wrote:Yes, that's right Pete. Still strange that we're running a fixed wing aircraft carrier at the moment with no fixed wing aircraft capability.
You never know what's going to happen tomorrow. Those decks could be populated with planes from a friendly ally overnight if the need ever arises.

EDIT: And I'd bet the ranch you already have pilots that know how to fly them.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I've no doubt that is what would happen should the need arise.

I just worry that we're building these ships with nothing to sit on them. We have a history of buying crap from the Americans (a dig at UK Civil Service procurement, not the Americans) that rots away in aircraft hangers because it can't actually fly (I think we've done it with Chinooks and Apache) because of some stupid modification that we've requested - maybe Steve can shed a little more light on this.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Here's some stuff on the Apaches. I'm off now as need a nap before football. :D I'll look up the Chinooks later on if Steve doesn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AgustaWestland_Apache

....The Westland Apache experienced delays in entering service due to complications with the modifications made for British service.[15] Prior entering service in 2004, several development problems were noted, including a lack of the ability to securely communicate with other helicopters and a risk of damage to the tail rotor and airframe from firing its Hellfire missiles.[16][17] The problem with using the Hellfire was debris generated by the firing of missiles, both the Hellfire and CRV7 rockets, could strike the body of the aircraft and cause damage; resolving this issue created a delay to training programmes.[2] These problems were corrected prior to entering service, a secure communications suite was installed and Hellfire missiles are routinely fired by Apaches.[18][19] In 2002, government sources stated that full operational capability was set to be achieved by 2010.[20] In 2005, an out-of-service date for the Apache was forecast at 2030,[21] but the Army is looking at a capability sustainment programme (CSP) that will extend their life to 2040.[22] It was thought that updates would be necessary by 2017 because the US Army will then withdraw support for the AH-64D Block I on which the British Apaches are based,[22] but the US budget problems have pushed back this date to 2019/20.[23] A decision will be taken in 2014 on the extent to which Britain will adopt the Block III upgrades of the AH-64E[22] - the options range from abandoning the capability altogether to buying brand new Block III helicopters but Boeing believe it is most likely that Britain will remanufacture, putting the existing engines and avionics into new airframes.[23]......
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Big Boy wrote:Yes, I've no doubt that is what would happen should the need arise.

I just worry that we're building these ships with nothing to sit on them. We have a history of buying crap from the Americans (a dig at UK Civil Service procurement, not the Americans) that rots away in aircraft hangers because it can't actually fly (I think we've done it with Chinooks and Apache) because of some stupid modification that we've requested - maybe Steve can shed a little more light on this.
Yes, the UK bought some special ops Chinooks from Boeing and then got into a legal battle about making modifications to software that went on for years. I think eventually they were rebuilt as standard models which meant they'd cost about double what they should have done.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

The other thing to remember about aircraft carriers is how many other ships are needed to service and protect them so they can go where they wilt. Each one will have a couple of missle cruisers, frigates, supply ships, plus all types of other stuff in tow......and an attack sub too.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol