News of the Weird - this just in!

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: News of the Weird - this just in!

Post by Nereus »

Catch of the day:

Jurien Bay fisherman hooks in surprise catch.... a lawn mower

https://thewest.com.au/news/offbeat/jur ... b88791245z
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I didn’t know where to put this, but I find it weird, hence....

A 78 year old man is being held for murder of a burglar who broke into his house, armed with a screwdriver (a big one can be as leather as a knife) and after a scuffle, the burglar is stabbed and killed by the 78 year old.

Seems as though he should have just let the intruders do whatever they wanted.

More in the attached
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-43639183
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

What a brave guy - a true 'hero'.

"Local ward Councillor Mark Ingleby described the killing as a "tragedy" and said it had come "out of the blue"."
What a strange remark to make. I don't think that it's a tragedy that a thug threatening someone twice his age got killed. Out of the blue??? No. If a ton of bricks falls on your head whilst you're walking along a street - that's out of the blue.

I sincerely hope that the pensioner is given a medal for being brave enough to stand up to, and survive, such an ordeal.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Wow, strange law. That would never happen in the U.S. If someone breaks into your home, you are well within your rights to blow their head off. Outside is another matter, you have to be in fear of your life, but inside the house... boom! That's why burglars here are usually very careful to make sure no one is home before breaking in.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Hear what you're saying HHF, but there needs to be some middle ground here.

I use two news items from the USA and the UK (both in 1994) with students to discuss and write about gun laws and the right to bear arms when protecting your home and family.

Pensioner must pay burglar pounds 4,000 | The Independent
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/pens ... 88986.html

Scot is shot dead when mistaken for prowler | The Independent
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/s ... 98645.html

I'm of the belief that you if you fear for your life, or that of your family, then you have every right to do whatever you can to protect yourself.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

hhfarang wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:16 pm Wow, strange law. That would never happen in the U.S. If someone breaks into your home, you are well within your rights to blow their head off. Outside is another matter, you have to be in fear of your life, but inside the house... boom! That's why burglars here are usually very careful to make sure no one is home before breaking in.
I think you will find that is not correct
"In general, property owners cannot use deadly force to protect property. But property owners may be able to shoot at trespassers in self-defense if they fear great bodily harm or death. The law gives property owners the right to defend themselves with a reasonable response."
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Re: RE: Re: News of the Weird - this just in!

Post by Thailightzone »

Nereus wrote:Man dies after getting stuck in cinema seats in Birmingham, England

https://thewest.com.au/news/world/man-d ... b88781860z

A man has died after getting his head stuck under the footrest of his electronic seat at a movie theatre in the British city of Birmingham.

According to the Birmingham Mail, the man had dropped his phone and was trying to retrieve it in between the cinema’s Gold Class seats at the end of the film.

The accident occurred on March 9 at the Star City entertainment complex. He died a week later, on March 16.
After he bent down, the reclining, electric seat’s footrest clamped down on the man’s head. He was attending the film with his partner, who reportedly became frantic as the man started to panic upon realising he was stuck.

Staff and other patrons at the cinema struggled to free him, but eventually pulled him out of the seats.

The man suffered from cardiac arrest. After paramedics successfully restarted his heart, he was rushed to Heartlands Hospital, the West Midlands Ambulance Service confirmed to the Guardian.

“Following an incident which took place on Friday 9 March at our Birmingham cinema, we can confirm that a customer was taken to hospital that evening. We are saddened to learn that he passed away on Friday 16 March.”

The statement continues: “A full investigation into the nature of the incident is ongoing. Our thoughts and condolences are with the family who have our full support and assistance.”

The Birmingham City Council has started a health and safety investigation, reports the Guardian.

The three Gold Class rooms at the complex offer a fully licensed car, and are only available to attendees over 18.
(I guess that should be "bar")
So, he died of a heart attack
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

StevePIraq wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:39 pm
hhfarang wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:16 pm Wow, strange law. That would never happen in the U.S. If someone breaks into your home, you are well within your rights to blow their head off. Outside is another matter, you have to be in fear of your life, but inside the house... boom! That's why burglars here are usually very careful to make sure no one is home before breaking in.
"In general, property owners cannot use deadly force to protect property. But property owners may be able to shoot at trespassers in self-defense if they fear great bodily harm or death. The law gives property owners the right to defend themselves with a reasonable response."
That's why they have to be inside. If a person has broken into your home, it is automatically a fear of your (or your family's) life situation. If they are breaking into your car in the driveway you cannot shoot them to protect property. Inside your home, if they broke in, you will never be prosecuted in the U.S. for shooting them. Yes, there are laws about reasonable response and laws vary from state to state but according to several police friends I've talked to you are generally well within you rights to shoot someone that has broken in in self defense. I wouldn't shoot him/her in the back if they were running for the door though. That may cause some legal trouble in some states.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I worked with a lot of Americans for years, and all of them always said: if you do shoot an invader outside, make sure that you drag the body inside before calling the cops!

One bloke that I worked with offshore and had split up with his wife, was shot on the doorstep of his own house with his own shotgun when he went trying to get in to the house. Sad really, as he had been bragging about what he was going to do to her while he was at work. Several of us, including me, tried to talk him out of it before he left the rig. He laughed about it and said he would take his .45 with him so there would not be a problem. His wife was never indicted.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Back to the 78 year old man in the UK who had initially been held on the possibility of being charged with murder, common sense has prevailed and the police have dropped the charges they say following a thorough investigation, no doubt prompted by the huge public outcry - more here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-43676359
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I think that if I were to attempt to stab a burglar with a screwdriver I would select a Phillips head.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I think that if I were to attempt to stab a burglar with a screwdriver I would select a Phillips head.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

oakdale160 wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:08 pm I think that if I were to attempt to stab a burglar with a screwdriver I would select a Phillips head.
A slot head would penetrate the flesh easier; more like a knife.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:38 am Back to the 78 year old man in the UK who had initially been held on the possibility of being charged with murder, common sense has prevailed and the police have dropped the charges they say following a thorough investigation, no doubt prompted by the huge public outcry - more here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-43676359
I'm pretty sure he was never charged in the first place. It doesn't seem unreasonable that if you kill someone, you're going to get questioned under caution. Whether it was necessary to arrest him is very much open to question, but overall I think this was a typical Daily Mail-style overreaction, and I'd guess most of the coppers involved were patting him on the back.
This is the way
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

hhfarang wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:38 pm
StevePIraq wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:39 pm
I wouldn't shoot him/her in the back if they were running for the door though. That may cause some legal trouble in some states.
Only the US police can shoot someone in the back, preferably when they are unarmed with their hands up.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali