Has Your Food Shopping Increased?

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Just curious really. Been hit hard in the UK with food shopping. All products here (that I buy, in my local Aldi) have gone up between 20-40% in a year. The food inflation rate is average 19.4% year on year according to April statistics. I'd be happy with 19.4% to be fair as the majority of my items are between the 30-40% mark. Inflation in general is listed at 10.7% for UK. I don't pay for petrol, gas, electric etc (no car and included on rent) and don't buy stuff unless absolutely needed. So I only feel the food one.

Some statistics for inflation though Thailand isn't included.

Have you good folk in Thailand experienced any major increases in food prices?
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
buksida

Re: Has Your Food Shopping Increased?

Post by buksida »

Lost wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:00 pm Have you good folk in Thailand experienced any major increases in food prices?
Absolutely. Food prices in Thailand were higher than the UK equivalent to begin with, but now it costs a small fortune to fill a trolley at Lotuss or Makro. Our monthly groceries bill is more than most locals earn in a month. Mrs B is forever bending my ear about the increased costs of staples such as pork, chicken, eggs, veggies, fruit, etc.

The "official" inflation rate in Thailand has fallen to 2.67% in April, yet prices keep going up. Go figure.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

The only thing I’ve noticed is that where the price of pork and chicken increased quite significantly last year, prices have come down the past few months - virtually everything else is static after last year’s hikes or still increasing.

As a farang, the prices are probably still lower on balance than they are in the UK, but for locals it must be very difficult to manage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Baked beans have the highest inflation at Aldi I think. Up almost 60% in a year. Hit me hard. :cry: :D

Aside from just supermarket shopping, what's your price of a khao phad gai at the local street seller nowadays. When I first came to Thailand it was about 25-30 baht. Over a decade later it was 30-40.

My canary-in-the-mine for a sense of inflation is the price of khao pad. :laugh:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Dannie Boy wrote:The only thing I’ve noticed is that where the price of pork and chicken increased quite significantly last year, prices have come down the past few months - virtually everything else is static after last year’s hikes or still increasing.

As a farang, the prices are probably still lower on balance than they are in the UK, but for locals it must be very difficult to manage.

Genuinely curious about your comments below

Yes, meal prices rose last year, for sure(about 15% across the board)

Are you saying those meal prices have now reduced? I'm certainly not seeing that (nor would I really expect to)

Or rather that just the basic core ingredients did? And then have gone back to where they were prior?

Unlike UK, I don't buy pork/chicken in a supermarket so I feel out of touch here.

Being a bachelor boy I either buy and eat in a restaurant or I take away and freeze it ready for my movie nights in. Image

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

thecolonel wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 8:59 am
Dannie Boy wrote:The only thing I’ve noticed is that where the price of pork and chicken increased quite significantly last year, prices have come down the past few months - virtually everything else is static after last year’s hikes or still increasing.

Genuinely curious about your comments below

Yes, meal prices rose last year, for sure(about 15% across the board)

Are you saying those meal prices have now reduced? I'm certainly not seeing that (nor would I really expect to)

Or rather that just the basic core ingredients did? And then have gone back to where they were prior?

Unlike UK, I don't buy pork/chicken in a supermarket so I feel out of touch here.

Being a bachelor boy I either buy and eat in a restaurant or I take away and freeze it ready for my movie nights in. Image

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk
I’m almost the opposite to you - very rarely eat out (once a month on average) so haven’t noticed whether prices have gone up, down or remained static, so yes I’m talking about the price I pay at Makro for raw ingredients.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Prices at Makro definitely have not come down, they keep increasing (CP has to keep its healthy profit margins). We rarely get out of that shop spending less than 6k, and the trolley is rarely more than half full.

Regarding the average price of an average plate of street food (Pad Krapao Moo, Khao Pat Gai, Pad Prik Gaeng, etc), it's about 60-80 baht which is triple what it was when I first came here.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

buksida wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:19 am Prices at Makro definitely have not come down, they keep increasing (CP has to keep its healthy profit margins).

Regarding the average price of an average plate of street food (Pad Krapao Moo, Khao Pat Gai, Pad Prik Gaeng, etc), it's about 60-80 baht which is triple what it was when I first came here.
Sorry, but prices of pork and chicken have definitely come down in price the past few months - pork particularly so. Not that far back pork mince was 200B a kg now it’s 135B. Similar price differences with other cuts - chicken has also reduced by 15-20B a kg.

Probably most other food items remain high.
buksida

Post by buksida »

The odd item may be a little cheaper (or nearing normal prices again), but overall food/groceries are more expensive now than they were a year or two ago despite the fall in inflation.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Correct, I only mentioned two items, albeit that they have a noticeable reduction on the total bill if you're buying a few kg at a time.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

buksida wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:19 am Prices at Makro definitely have not come down, they keep increasing (CP has to keep its healthy profit margins). We rarely get out of that shop spending less than 6k, and the trolley is rarely more than half full.

When would that have been ? If I may ask?
buksida

Post by buksida »

joelle wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:37 am When would that have been ? If I may ask?
Late 1990s. Prices in Thailand have surged by several magnitudes since then, especially food. I think the longer you've been here, the more you notice the changes.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

My husband pays 60 baht for Pad Kaprao Moo Kai Dow including a 400ml soda water
12 years ago he paid 30 baht
I am sure that in most countries prices have increased a lot in 12 years !
Even more so since late 1990s !!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I definitely notice the difference in eating out when I’m in the UK - I don’t eat out very often in Thailand, not because it’s expensive, just a personal decision, but eating out in the UK is massively more expensive than it is in Thailand.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Well of course it is, but we're comparing the cost of food shopping here - which has surged in both countries it seems. The difference is that the UK has double-figure inflation and Thailand's inflation is back under control so whats the excuse for the price hiking here?