British home comfort food?

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
CBinmore
Amateur
Amateur

British home comfort food?

Post by CBinmore »

Hi guys.
When we get to the area we will enjoy Thai food but will still need our British Comfort foods. Can we buy :- Heinz salad (sandwich) cream, Branstone pickle, Coleman’s English mustard, Bisto gravy granuals, PG Tips tea bags and Cadbury’s chocolate? Sorry ...no need for fish n chips!
Thanks,
Colin Binmore.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Re: British home comfort food?

Post by 404cameljockey »

CBinmore wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:33 pm Hi guys.
When we get to the area we will enjoy Thai food but will still need our British Comfort foods. Can we buy :- Heinz salad (sandwich) cream, Branstone pickle, Coleman’s English mustard, Bisto gravy granuals, PG Tips tea bags and Cadbury’s chocolate? Sorry ...no need for fish n chips!
Thanks,
Colin Binmore.
For sure. I won't enumerate the places you can buy (prices I have no idea, I am unaware of UK prices for 14-15 years), but you will get most stuff you love, including Fray Bentos puds/pies, Heinz/Campbell soups (and a long list more Heinz products). Bisto and Colmans' mustard yes, and there's another English mustard here that will also blow your socks off right out of the bottle (not even from powder); it's savage.

I admit that my wife has to buy Heinz Salad Cream when she goes to Dubai, as the local stuff is sickly sweet, and Australian canned baked beans are a cheap and fine sub for UK brands. You'll be fine!

But as you say, do have a good few Thai meals and make sure you don't miss out on some tasty food (if you don't like spicy, tell them 'padh nit noy' - just a little spicy).
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ Do you mean the Heinz Salad Cream you can buy here is sickly sweet stuff?
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

That Greg Wallace bloke has a program on the BBC about how everday foods are made. About 3 or 4 weeks ago they were at a factory in Holland that makes Heinz mayonaise that gets shipped all over the place and they explained how, alrhough the labels were the same, the recipe changes for every different country. Sometimes small changes, but some considerable changes too.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

hhinner wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:20 pm ^^ Do you mean the Heinz Salad Cream you can buy here is sickly sweet stuff?
:D

I remember I bought Heinz Salad Cream here last year sometime,and the recipe was definitely wrong. No idea where iot was manufactured. The local brands anyway for sure are wrong'uns, way sweet, although the mayonnaise can be good if you hit the right brand (Aussie imports can be fine too).

Did you see Heinz are renaming Salad Cream 'Sandwich Cream' as that's what most people now use it for? :/
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

MDMK wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:29 pm That Greg Wallace bloke has a program on the BBC about how everday foods are made. About 3 or 4 weeks ago they were at a factory in Holland that makes Heinz mayonaise that gets shipped all over the place and they explained how, alrhough the labels were the same, the recipe changes for every different country. Sometimes small changes, but some considerable changes too.
That sounds right.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Maybe. But Heinz salad cream is not mayonnaise. I doubt many Thais even know what it is. If they ever tried it they would know it's not salad cream as they know it.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

hhinner wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:38 pm Maybe. But Heinz salad cream is not mayonnaise. I doubt many Thais even know what it is. If they ever tried it they would know it's not salad cream as they know it.
That's why I talked about them as totally different products? Both mayonnaise and salad cream are available here in supermarkets (eg. Tesco Lotus, where Thais do shop, not farang places like Villa Market) so Thais are exposed to both.

The Heinz Salad Cream here is awful; the available brands of mayonnaise can be good. The mayonnaise can also be awful, ultra sweet and with a syrupy texture, and slick - not thick/creamy. It's just Thai style.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Hi Colin,
Villa Supermarket will cater for most of your needs, but you'll obviously pay a lot more for everything than your local Tescos in the UK. The only thing on your list that you might have a problem with is the chocolate - 'proper' chocolate melts too quickly here.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The chocolate that I see the most here is Ritter Sport, which is German I think. Large variety of different types. Their dark chocolate is good and they have one that is classified as extra dark, with lower sugar. It can be a bit bitter, but nice. Pete :cheers:

https://www.ritter-sport.de/en/products/
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

hhinner wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:38 pm Maybe. But Heinz salad cream is not mayonnaise. I doubt many Thais even know what it is. If they ever tried it they would know it's not salad cream as they know it.
For Heinz Mayonnaise, you can buy it at Makro in one liter plastic sleeves and it tastes fine, not the awful sweet stuff that some other manufacturers provide.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: RE: Re: British home comfort food?

Post by hhinner »

Dannie Boy wrote:
For Heinz Mayonnaise, you can buy it at Makro in one liter plastic sleeves and it tastes fine, not the awful sweet stuff that some other manufacturers provide.
You can also buy it in jars from supermarkets. I usually buy the lite version (possibly because that's all they usually have). Other than Heinz the Best Foods Mayo is OK for me. Kraft is also often available.

As regards the Heinz salad cream, it's many years since I bought any here. Maybe I'll give it another go and see if I agree with cameljockey.
CBinmore
Amateur
Amateur

Post by CBinmore »

Thanks guys, we are impressed with the good positive response we get from this forum.. all good stuff. Thanks, much appreciated.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

There are quite a number of places to buy 'UK Stuff' in HH. Apart from Makro there are some smaller outlets where the prices are a little cheaper than going to Villa. I get a lot of my stuff from Nanny's on Soi 88 opposite Khun Po food court. AP Inter Foods on the klong road have some of the more obscure needs.
Gourmet Market in Bluport also have a good selection but rather pricey.

I've found that Coleman's mustard bought off the shelf in Tesco and the like is not what we're used to in the UK. You can spread it like butter and it still won't give you much of a kick. That's the one thing my friends and family keep me stocked up on when visiting.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

In the time that I lived in the UK I developed a taste for British or rather Scottish Marmalade. Those brands are available world-wide now but they are NOT the same--they are orange jam. The REAL marmalade is not sweet, in fact, if you taste it neat from the jar it makes you pucker up with its tartness. If any friend is going to the UK I ask them to bring some REAL marmalade back for me.