Thailand's imported wine crackdown

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Thailand's imported wine crackdown

Post by caller »

handdrummer wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 4:53 pm Maybe the Govt. is trying to boost sales of domestic wine by heavily taxing imports or are domestics up also? I don't drink, jut curious.
Thai produced wine had it's tax reduced by 25% but they can't even come close to meeting demand.
Talk is cheap
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

70% tax increase on Wine import is a serious blow to Retirement in Thailand. I have a bother in - law in Saraburi, I shoed me a wineyard on Kao Yai. I have to link up with him if retirement in Thailand shall be a viable lifestyle
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Import Tax increase for protectionism of Thai industry.......makes sense to me.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

europtimiste wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 3:59 pm The Mont Clair shit is now 999 Baht for 3 litres. It's rip off.
So, what do you suggest?

The Mont Clair "shit" is not wine, but it goes OK with a meal. At the old price, it made some sense.

It's kind of like instant coffee. It doesn't taste anything like decent brewed coffee, but I still like it. I think of it as not coffee, but some other beverage.

I do the same thing with the Mont Clair "shit".
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Frank La Rue wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 1:34 am 70% tax increase on Wine import is a serious blow to Retirement in Thailand. I have a bother in - law in Saraburi, I shoed me a wineyard on Kao Yai. I have to link up with him if retirement in Thailand shall be a viable lifestyle
I agree with that, dramatic increase in costs will deter people from retiring here.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Expensive wine........a deterrent. Then they have more issues than just Thailand's tax structure.

Meetings every night somewhere.... :cheers:
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

The price of wine in Cambodian s'markets is unbelievably low and those driving across the border are almost never searched.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

So.....get the car PP / insurance, petrol, drive all the way to border, hours waiting, pay visa fee + tea money. Along with return trip and the ...... "almost never searched" .... risk .... possible fine, possibly high or simply confiscation and maybe a red stamp in the PP / notation in imm record, that you really don't want.

All to save a few baht. Hmm......
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

Just left Tesco Market Village.
Mont Clair,in the aisle,on the shelves,999baht,3ltr box.
There is however for the boxed fruit wine lovers.a few Cedar Creek,4,5 ltrs at 925 baht,and also Castle Creek white,at 998 for 5 litrs,but very few on the shelf.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Nothing in boxes but Mont Claire in Hin Lek fai supermarket or the wholesale place attached!
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

I thought this thread was about imported wine. That's not Mont Claire.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

hhinner wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 6:12 pm I thought this thread was about imported wine. That's not Mont Claire.
True, although the vine cuttings may have come from South Africa at some time in the past? :shock: :D Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

The initial post mentioned Mont Claire although not wine that is where the thread has gone.
Good imported wine has not altered in price as of this afternoon,Viu Manent is still the same price per bottle in both Villa Market,and Gourmet Market.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ I may have to take that back. The grapes may actually come from SAF, or perhaps the whole process is done there and it's imported. I'm not sure now? :roll: Pete :cheers:
phpfHoYLDAM.jpg
phpfHoYLDAM.jpg (42.48 KiB) Viewed 614 times
EDIT: Siam Winery web site: https://www.worldofwines.co.th/en
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

PeteC, i believe you will find that it is shipped in bulk to Thailand/Asia and the fruits are added here.
To the best of my knowledge,this was the reason that before the new laws the price was so low.
As to why it has now altered,and just who is going to benefit/gain is anybodies guess.