Thailand's imported wine crackdown

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
aragon
Professional
Professional

Re: Thailand's imported wine crackdown

Post by aragon »

laphanphon wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 9:58 am Expensive wine........a deterrent. Then they have more issues than just Thailand's tax structure.

Meetings every night somewhere.... :cheers:
I don't think it is just the expensive wine, unfortunately that is just one item of many and is symptomatic of the general increase in the cost of living in Thailand and HH in particular, which as we all know is among the most expensive places to live in LOS :(
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

^I agree with aragon. It's not just the wine, or a whine about the price of wine. It's being able to buy those little treats at a reasonable price.

Yes, I can certainly live without wine, but I like to have a box of drinkable stuff for the odd occasion when a glass of red just hits the spot. The best on the market at the moment (if you can find it) is Robertson Winery which is a South African dry red. Infinitely better than Mont Clair.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Mont Claire, I believe Siam Wineries used to import the grape juice in bulk and go from there. No idea what they do these days.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

My insider says he does not know the details, but basically the "Fruit Wines" are now taxed at the same rate as what he terms "regular wines". Thai logic suggests that if it comes from Farang Land, and says "wine" on the box, then it must be worthy of more tax. :twisted:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've just come back from Makro, Hua Hin. They have loads of boxed Mont Claire, but 2 varieties (don't drink, so no idea what the difference is) Claret and Green box markings. Exactly the same as Tesco, 999 Baht for a 3 litre box.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: RE: Re: Thailand's imported wine crackdown

Post by hhinner »

Nereus wrote:My insider says he does not know the details, but basically the "Fruit Wines" are now taxed at the same rate as what he terms "regular wines". Thai logic suggests that if it comes from Farang Land, and says "wine" on the box, then it must be worthy of more tax. :twisted:
Wine taxes are now based on alcoholic content irrespective of fruit. Mont Claire isn't from Farang Land and is being taxed quite heavily by the look of it. Proper (not "fruit" wine) imported wines don't seem to have gone up in price very much (yet?), presumably because they were already taxed so much anyway.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

No idea, and as I don't drink, not affected. But there are many contradictory reports in a previous thread:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=24624
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The following link is also in the older thread:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... e-in-b12bn

New excise taxes set to rake in B12bn

17 Sep 2017 at 04:00
4,543 viewed1 comments NEWSPAPER SECTION: NEWS | WRITER: WICHIT CHANTANUSORNSIRI & ASSAWIN PAKKAWAN - ...

Sugary drinks, cigarettes and most alcoholic beverages saw hiked excise taxes as the new rates of the levy came into force yesterday.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

Big Boy wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 10:57 am I've just come back from Makro, Hua Hin. They have loads of boxed Mont Claire, but 2 varieties (don't drink, so no idea what the difference is) Claret and Green box markings. Exactly the same as Tesco, 999 Baht for a 3 litre box.
The colours denote red and white ‘wine’ respectively.

I’ve always preferred Peter Vella to Mont Claire, although I imagine it has suffered the same fate. May have to take in more Blend 285 to get through the evening!
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

LOW PRICED FRUIT WINE? NOT MUCH LONGER

"If you are among the many who have become used to buying fruit added wine here’s a “heads up!” Better start buying a reserve supply before the price jumps by as much as 50% and likely more during the next 12 months." - Bangkok Best Dining - February 2017
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

If you find an inexpensive wine buy a case. Buy wine's on sale by the case.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Looks like the vino is flowing in again, VIlla Market were fully stocked with two litre bottles of wines at the weekend. The boxed stuff is there also but very expensive now and inferior to what you'll get in a bottle.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I bought a 1.5l bottle of Australian red called Laughing Bird from Makro 2 days ago, it was a mixture of Cabernet and Merlot grapes and whilst not the best wine I have ever had, not bad for 469 Baht
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

OK, if I'm going to start buying real grape wine in bottles, I'm gonna need some recommendations. At the new price of about 1000 baht for a 3 liter box, the MontClair "wine" is the equivalent 250 baht per 750ml bottle.

Are there any decent all-grape wines that come close to that?

(I see that Tesco sells the Laughing Bird Dry Red 1.5 liter bottle for 419 baht, online.)
buksida

Post by buksida »

There is an Italian red called 'Rosso' which comes in a 2 litre bottle @ 599 baht. This, while admittedly not the best wine, is far superior to anything I've tried out of a box - at least to my palate.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson