Thailand's imported wine crackdown

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
buksida

Thailand's imported wine crackdown

Post by buksida »

Has anyone noticed that boxed wines are almost impossible to find now? Even that Mont Clair shite has dried up.

Have been to three Macros and they're all out. Villa Market were running very light on 2 litre bottles a week or so ago and shelves were empty where the boxes used to be. Spoke to one of the more knowledgeable girls in there who said that the company importing wine into Thailand has stopped doing so because there is a 70% tax about to be levied on it.

Can anyone shed light on this? Is it fact or fiction?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: Thailand's imported wine crackdown

Post by STEVE G »

I went to buy a box for a neighbour's birthday a couple of weeks ago and noticed that there wasn't much of it in stock but I just thought that was because of the holidays.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The fact that they've rejigged the booze tax structure is not new, but I don't recall seeing numbers like 70% in any articles. If I see the old articles I'll post. I think they were out in Feb or March. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Further back than I thought, September 2017. It seems the stores have been selling their old stock since implementation and it is just now running low? They must have had a lot in stock! :shock: Unless another new excise tax hike is in the offing, but I see nothing about that. Below is one of many articles on line from the September 2017 timeframe. Pete :cheers:

https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2017/ ... wine-hard/
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

A friend with a small restaurant, who like most of us won’t touch the Montclair alcohol/ juice blend ( I will not call it wine) is really struggling to find any boxed or large bottles anywhere near his price point.
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've just come back from Tesco, where there's a pallet of boxed wine blocking the aisle, as they do. I think it was Mont Clair. 999 Baht for 3 litres.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

It's a strange one, isn't it, because if you get the levy wrong and imports drop, as seems to be the case, then it has the opposite effect to increasing revenue.
Talk is cheap
buksida

Post by buksida »

Big Boy wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 1:25 pm I've just come back from Tesco, where there's a pallet of boxed wine blocking the aisle, as they do. I think it was Mont Clair. 999 Baht for 3 litres.
Wow, that is over 70% up then because it used to be about 870 for 5 liters.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Big Boy wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 1:25 pm ............ I think it was Mont Clair. 999 Baht for 3 litres.
They're keeping the retail price under the 1,000 Baht threshold which if I read things correctly, the tax decreases? Was Mont Clair always at that price, or higher for 3 liters before? Pete :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 1:32 pm
Big Boy wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 1:25 pm I've just come back from Tesco, where there's a pallet of boxed wine blocking the aisle, as they do. I think it was Mont Clair. 999 Baht for 3 litres.
Wow, that is over 70% up then because it used to be about 870 for 5 liters.
Yes, I remember buying more for less, although I've never bought a lot.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I think I paid 1080bt a couple of weeks ago for 3L, I thought it was expensive but I'd never really bought much wine in Thailand before so I just assumed it was the going rate.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

There's more in play as well. California and all EU wine harvests for 2017 were at historic lows due to fires, drought, frost etc. That is sure to increase prices in its own right. I don't know about Australia and SAF harvests. Pete :cheers:
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

The Mont Clair shit is now 999 Baht for 3 litres. It's rip off.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Maybe the Govt. is trying to boost sales of domestic wine by heavily taxing imports or are domestics up also? I don't drink, jut curious.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

PeteC wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 2:24 pm There's more in play as well. California and all EU wine harvests for 2017 were at historic lows due to fires, drought, frost etc. That is sure to increase prices in its own right. I don't know about Australia and SAF harvests. Pete :cheers:
No problem with Australian production. But it may be that China is now taking more of the export production.

Australian wine industry strongest in more than a decade

http://www.ausfoodnews.com.au/2018/01/3 ... ecade.html
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!