The Baguette

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Phyton
Professional
Professional

Re: The Baguette

Post by Phyton »

I buyed many years our goods at "The Baguette" in Cha-am, Naratip road. In 2016 was closed, moved to Phetkasem near "Energy Condo" opposide. Soon opened a new shop at the old place on Naratip called "Love Bread". I enter and surprised, same goods same staff as in the old "The Baguette", i talked with staff, because they remember me, they said all the same goods as in the past.
Greets,
Phyton
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Phyton wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:57 pm I buyed many years our goods at "The Baguette" in Cha-am, Naratip road. In 2016 was closed, moved to Phetkasem near "Energy Condo" opposide. Soon opened a new shop at the old place on Naratip called "Love Bread". I enter and surprised, same goods same staff as in the old "The Baguette", i talked with staff, because they remember me, they said all the same goods as in the past.
I called in this morning and there is a shop all closed up with a big notice saying the Baguette has moved to Petchkasem road and the Love Bread “shop” is next door, so looks to be new premises, even if the staff and products are the same. Not sure what it’s prime business is now, because as well as selling bread, pies, cakes etc, it is also a restaurant/cafe.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Thank you Dannie Boy! :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

To add to the confusion:

When Baguette Cha Am moved from Narathip to the highway, the former partner opened a nearly identical shop called Aun's Baguette at the old location. There was a dispute over the name, so Aun's Baguette became Love Bread.

Not that it matters, but neither of us much like the bakery products at either place, so we almost never visit Baguette or Love Bread. I make my own. Of course, YMMV.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Ratsima wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:30 pm To add to the confusion:

When Baguette Cha Am moved from Narathip to the highway, the former partner opened a nearly identical shop called Aun's Baguette at the old location. There was a dispute over the name, so Aun's Baguette became Love Bread.

Not that it matters, but neither of us much like the bakery products at either place, so we almost never visit Baguette or Love Bread. I make my own. Of course, YMMV.
I agree about their baguettes being fairly ordinary so like you, I have begun baking my own - this was one of my first attempts
0204667C-8B9D-4796-B617-62E650D47F06.jpeg
0204667C-8B9D-4796-B617-62E650D47F06.jpeg (67.9 KiB) Viewed 813 times
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:00 pm I agree about their baguettes being fairly ordinary so like you, I have begun baking my own - this was one of my first attempts 0204667C-8B9D-4796-B617-62E650D47F06.jpeg
Care to share your recipe/method? My baguettes are heavier and denser than I'd like.

My ordinary sourdough loaves are pretty good, though. Last night's effort.
sourdough.jpg
sourdough.jpg (156.62 KiB) Viewed 738 times
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:00 pm I agree about their baguettes being fairly ordinary
I find this statement fascinating. To me, a baguette is a baguette, some maybe a little crispier, harder or softer than others, but it's still a baguette.

So how do you improve on a baguette? After the improvements, is it still a baguette or something else?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:50 am
Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:00 pm I agree about their baguettes being fairly ordinary
I find this statement fascinating. To me, a baguette is a baguette, some maybe a little crispier, harder or softer than others, but it's still a baguette.

So how do you improve on a baguette? After the improvements, is it still a baguette or something else?
You don't sound a bread aficionado BB, it's the stuff of life!

If a baguette meets your standards as to crustiness, smell, thickness/thinness and texture (by no means all do), then the prime concern to me is how long it stays fresh, that is with crust still reasonably crunchy (not gone moist and rubbery/chewy), but with the bread under the crust not going rock hard and stale within 12-18 hours. It's not always possible to eat a whole large one (small not always available) at one sitting and I don't like throwing stuff away and making another trip for a fresh one! I expect it to be edible the next morning at least, maybe evening. It shoud stay in good condition without clingfilm (softens the crust), putting it in the fridge (just horrible afterwards), or sprinkling it with water and microwaving it (a trick some say works). :)

Yamazaki at Market Village sometimes have good very crusty flutes (the long and very thin ones) which I can usually manage without leaving any to the next day. They bake all day so you just have to be lucky with your timing.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Ratsima wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:11 am
Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:00 pm I agree about their baguettes being fairly ordinary so like you, I have begun baking my own - this was one of my first attempts 0204667C-8B9D-4796-B617-62E650D47F06.jpeg
Care to share your recipe/method? My baguettes are heavier and denser than I'd like.

sourdough.jpg
I find this recipient produces fairly good results http://www.joyofbaking.com/breads/Frenc ... ecipe.html
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

404cameljockey wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:34 am
Big Boy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:50 am

If a baguette meets your standards as to crustiness, smell, thickness/thinness and texture (by no means all do), then the prime concern to me is how long it stays fresh, that is with crust still reasonably crunchy (not gone moist and rubbery/chewy), but with the bread under the crust not going rock hard and stale within 12-18 hours. It's not always possible to eat a whole large one (small not always available) at one sitting and I don't like throwing stuff away and making another trip for a fresh one! I expect it to be edible the next morning at least, maybe evening. It shoud stay in good condition without clingfilm (softens the crust), putting it in the fridge (just horrible afterwards), or sprinkling it with water and microwaving it (a trick some say works). :)

Yamazaki at Market Village sometimes have good very crusty flutes (the long and very thin ones) which I can usually manage without leaving any to the next day. They bake all day so you just have to be lucky with your timing.
As 404CJ says, you have to be a bread aficionados to appreciate a truly wonderful baguette - I still drool about the baguettes I ate in France during my family camping days back in the 80’s. Still without wanting to reminisce about the old days, I always freeze any unused bread and then defrost and if necessary, refresh in a hot oven for a few minutes if it’s a baguette or a roll.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

The French influence shows its self in Vietnam. I was there with my son, we ordered b'fast and it came , I said--Oh, the French were here.My son said--I know Dad, I read the history on the plane. Never mind what you read, I said, look at the b'fast--Wonderful crisp french bread and delicious strong coffee. The bread in VN is first class, ladies roam the streets with fresh from the oven loave in their baskets.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

oakdale160 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:14 am The French influence shows its self in Vietnam. I was there with my son, we ordered b'fast and it came , I said--Oh, the French were here.My son said--I know Dad, I read the history on the plane. Never mind what you read, I said, look at the b'fast--Wonderful crisp french bread and delicious strong coffee. The bread in VN is first class, ladies roam the streets with fresh from the oven loave in their baskets.
Not quite the same as the ladies roaming the streets in Bintabaht with their offerings :tsk:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:46 am
Ratsima wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:11 am

sourdough.jpg
I find this recipient produces fairly good results http://www.joyofbaking.com/breads/Frenc ... ecipe.html
To help get a good bake and aid shape retention, I bought one of these when last in the UK
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Obviously not. :oops:
As 404CJ says, you have to be a bread aficionados to appreciate a truly wonderful baguette - I still drool about the baguettes I ate in France during my family camping days back in the 80’s.
So what is the difference? What give's French bread the X Factor over the baguettes from the baguette? What is the missing link?
The French influence shows its self in Vietnam. I was there with my son, we ordered b'fast and it came , I said--Oh, the French were here.My son said--I know Dad, I read the history on the plane. Never mind what you read, I said, look at the b'fast--Wonderful crisp french bread and delicious strong coffee. The bread in VN is first class, ladies roam the streets with fresh from the oven loave in their baskets.
I did enjoy the fresh bread in Vietnam, but I think it was the freshness, warm out of the oven, rather than any additional ingredient. If we're saying the difference in Vietnamese or DB's bread is freshness from the oven, then yes, I'm with you. Can't beat freshly baked bread. Surely, the bread in Baguette must be just fresh at some point each day.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:29 pm
Obviously not. :oops:
As 404CJ says, you have to be a bread aficionados to appreciate a truly wonderful baguette - I still drool about the baguettes I ate in France during my family camping days back in the 80’s.
So what is the difference? What give's French bread the X Factor over the baguettes from the baguette? What is the missing link?
I did enjoy the fresh bread in Vietnam, but I think it was the freshness, warm out of the oven, rather than any additional ingredient. If we're saying the difference in Vietnamese or DB's bread is freshness from the oven, then yes, I'm with you. Can't beat freshly baked bread. Surely, the bread in Baguette must be just fresh at some point each day.
I’m only guessing, but I would imagine that the bread made at the “Baguette” bakery and similar type establishments, uses more than just flour, water, salt and yeast - it will have added ingredients that help with proving, longevity and possibly cost.