Phanaeng curry

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Phanaeng curry

Post by Pleng »

404cameljockey wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:39 am The Penang Curry can be a heat monster unless you ask for it dialled down!
Huh? That sounds incredibly offrecepie! Panang is not usually a hot curry. I'll have to go and check it out :)
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Kims Kitchen

Post by HHTel »

Correct. Penang should be more sweet than hot. Ground peanuts should tame it. Red curry is way hotter than Penang.
PeteC

Re: Kims Kitchen

Post by PeteC »

There must be a different school of thought with many Thai chefs. I've had it here in the East at various places and in Phuket and each time it was enough to blow your head off. Looking at some recipes on Google they say "one red chili" as part of the ingredients. Not enough though to give the heat I've experienced. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
RCer
Ace
Ace

Re: Phanaeng curry

Post by RCer »

Depends on the chef, I've had it where it was sweet and milky. Also had it quite oily and spicy.

I prefer the first.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

I've also had it both the sweet & milky, plus the oily and spicy variety - and also spicy and milky; but never once was it anywhere near the heat levels that you can expect from most other Thai foods.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

:duck: And I like mine with pasta in............
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

NOKYAI wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:40 am :duck: And I like mine with pasta in............
Your room is ready....

http://www.manarom.com/index_eng.html
crab
Amateur
Amateur

Post by crab »

Phanaeng seafood curry is one of those dishes I just have to have every now and then, but I normally need to beg them to add extra chili to bring it to a level I like. I've had it in many places, including Phuket, and I've never found it to come spicy hot.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

At the old Moonsmile and Plateau restaurant, they used to have a king prawn and Pineapple curry that blew your head off - one of my all time favorite Thai curries.