Roast Beef

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Hobiecat
Professional
Professional

Roast Beef

Post by Hobiecat »

I've lived here 14 years now and I'll be damed if I can find a decent roast to purchase for home cooking. Checked, Villa Market, Lotus, both Mako's north and south. Can anyone shed some light on where I may fine one?
Why is it called 'after dark' when it really is 'after light'?
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Re: Roast Beef

Post by 404cameljockey »

Hobiecat wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:55 am I've lived here 14 years now and I'll be damed if I can find a decent roast to purchase for home cooking. Checked, Villa Market, Lotus, both Mako's north and south. Can anyone shed some light on where I may fine one?
I wish.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

try the french butcher on soi 88

:cheers: :cheers:
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Are you looking for American cut or Europeon cut? If American, you won't find it. They don't even have a good t-bone here.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

bsdk1960 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:13 pm try the french butcher on soi 88

I agree
This is the way
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

When you say 'try' them, you mean they do have beef joints for roasting (or will order one for you?). :)
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ Have been there previously and also agree :thumb:

When living in China, I had the same problem with Beef. Pork and Chicken, no issues - but did I miss Beef and Lamb (no Welsh jokes please.....). Imports of Beef from Australia were crazy expensive, but later on we had Mongolian Beef, which was superb - maybe not your typical UK/USA cuts, but the Fillet was superb.

I'm sure Thailand imports from China/Mongolia - well worth a try?

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

404cameljockey wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:12 pm When you say 'try' them, you mean they do have beef joints for roasting (or will order one for you?). :)
can not say I have seen roastbeef there ,but he have some nice cuts of meat you won't find in a thai butcher or supermarket,
and i'm sure you could order what you want.

RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Looks like proper roast beef to me, Sheritan in BKK.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/tasty/30328353
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I've thought for a long time that these 4-5* major hotels ship in products they have a hard time sourcing here. Many buffets still seem to have large breasted US turkey. I don't think they're buying it here over the past 3 years as they are no where to be found for the common man. All these type products can be found in Singapore and HK so time and distance is not a big factor especially if they have an in-house distribution network. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

RCer wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:38 pm Looks like proper roast beef to me, Sheritan in BKK.

This thread is about buying joints of beef to roast at home. not about eating in hotels or restaurants.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

pharvey wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:22 pm ^ Have been there previously and also agree :thumb:

When living in China, I had the same problem with Beef. Pork and Chicken, no issues - but did I miss Beef and Lamb (no Welsh jokes please.....). Imports of Beef from Australia were crazy expensive, but later on we had Mongolian Beef, which was superb - maybe not your typical UK/USA cuts, but the Fillet was superb.

I'm sure Thailand imports from China/Mongolia - well worth a try?

I would never make a joke about Welshmen and sheep. the relationship is far too precious. ;)

Yes it would certainly be worth a try if we know which butcher/outlet to buy it from.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I'll also agree the French butcher. Have gone there often and he is always ready to help. Last trip I wanted 4 steaks about 1" thick. He didn't have enough on display so went in the back, opened a new roast, and cut per spec.

Was thinking of asking him to carve out a roast.

His English is not so great, but he is very helpful
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

404cameljockey wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:02 pm
RCer wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:38 pm Looks like proper roast beef to me, Sheritan in BKK.

This thread is about buying joints of beef to roast at home. not about eating in hotels or restaurants.
First grade version:

1. Look at the picture
2. If the picture is what is desired, plan a trip to BKK.

3. Go to the restaurant.
4. Sample the product.
5. If the roast is what you wanted, compliment them.

6. Tell them you live in Hua Hin and would love to have an uncooked roast now and then.

7. Ask if you could buy one from them.
Hobiecat
Professional
Professional

Post by Hobiecat »

migrant wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:45 am I'll also agree the French butcher. Have gone there often and he is always ready to help. Last trip I wanted 4 steaks about 1" thick. He didn't have enough on display so went in the back, opened a new roast, and cut per spec.

Was thinking of asking him to carve out a roast.

His English is not so great, but he is very helpful
Migrant, could you kindly give me your opinion of the quality of cuts the French butcher offers. Is his meat imported or is it local beef? Where exactly is his shop. I must have driven by it a million times and not seen it?
Why is it called 'after dark' when it really is 'after light'?