Iceland in Villa Market

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Ham & Bacon : The Palm Bistro
caller
Addict
Addict

Iceland in Villa Market

Post by caller » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:13 pm

I haven't seen this mentioned yet, or maybe I missed it?

Anyway, earlier, I popped into VM by San Paulo hospital and much to my surprise they had two chest freezers full of goods from Iceland. For those that don't know, Iceland is a UK frozen food supermarket, that was always pretty good value. Some of their stuff was pretty basic, other stuff much better.

Anyway, they had quite a diverse range of goods and it's another welcome addition for Brit expats at least. Prices were obviously higher than in the UK, but some still seemed good value to me.

I came away with these - excuse slightly blurred phone pics - must have been the excitement:

So I tried the beef tonight, via the microwave, cooked from frozen, the mash was good, the sauce needed to be a bit thicker (probably would have been if cooked in the oven), flavour was okay, it was lacking onion, I'd give it 6/10.

Talk is cheap

Big Boy

Re: Iceland in Villa Market

Post by Big Boy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:22 pm

I rarely go into VM, but that interests me - thank you. I'll make the effort to go and have a look.
League 1 - Plymouth Argyle....0 Oxford....4 :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Points 14; Position 23

404cameljockey
Guru
Guru

Post by 404cameljockey » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:15 am

Thanks, I'll take a look too. You may notice VM is usually pretty empty compared to other supermarkets. They have an excellent range of imported goods but it's the prices... :)

caller
Addict
Addict

Post by caller » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:18 am

404cameljockey wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:15 am
Thanks, I'll take a look too. You may notice VM is usually pretty empty compared to other supermarkets. They have an excellent range of imported goods but it's the prices... :)
I'm not sure they can be compared to other supermarkets in Hua Hin as their range of goods is generally different. I find the one by SP hospital is generally busier than the one at index.

My local one in Bkk is at Thonglor and that is always busy, even with both TOPS and Foodland nearby.
Talk is cheap

Pagey
Ace
Ace

Post by Pagey » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:50 pm

Thanks for the heads up Caller, just spent 1,500 Baht in the Iceland freezers. Battered cod,battered haddock, lasagne, shepherds pie,pasta bake etc. Useful to have a few ready meals in the freezer.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.