Iceland in Villa Market

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
albaker

Re: Iceland in Villa Market

Post by albaker »

Was in Iceland 6 weeks ago on a stag do and must state that Icelandic food is very different to UK food .
15 of us no complaints from any of us other than the price of food and drink .
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Personally, I have always viewed Iceland frozen foods as budget meals. Not great quality, but very affordable. However, I wouldn't want to be paying VM prices for Iceland foods.

A short while ago Makro were selling frozen Cod fillets for 155 per kilo, and to crumb then only takes a few minutes, so in my opinion a far better deal than the breaded fillets from VM which cost about 400 for half the quantity. Of course, with this being Thailand, Makro has not had any frozen Cod fillets for a few months now. After all, you don't want to restock something which always sells out completely. :banghead:

Actually I don't think VM prices are too bad. Many of the imported goods cost the same elsewhere if you can find them.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

All off topic posts have been deleted....except the video which has some enterainment value.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Well I popped into VM by the San Paulo hospital today and came away a very happy bunny, I noticed that the Iceland freezer had recently been restocked and a new item caught my eye - frozen North Atlantic Mackerel. Now I would prefer that this be caught locally off of St. Ives and then cooked up in one of the lovely restaurants in that area, but it's a fish I often used at home as well and it's really good for you. In the UK and here, I have tried the Mackarel from Korea or Japan, but that seems to have a far stronger flavour. The mackeral in VM wasn't cheap for what I remember as a cheap fish, I think it was about 238 baht, or something like that? Now all I have to do is dig out my recipe stuff to rustle up some forgotten dishes!

Oh, the back of the label made me laugh as well! :D

Talk is cheap
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Interesting that it was caught in the North East Atlantic area and produced and packed in China. Traveled half way around the world to be packed in China.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

handdrummer wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:07 pm Interesting that it was caught in the North East Atlantic area and produced and packed in China. Traveled half way around the world to be packed in China.
Yes, globalisation is the biggest polluter of the globe.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

404cameljockey wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:34 pm
handdrummer wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:07 pm Interesting that it was caught in the North East Atlantic area and produced and packed in China. Traveled half way around the world to be packed in China.
Yes, globalisation is the biggest polluter of the globe.
There was a great reality TV show that followed several Iceland staff going abut their business. But the same thing would happen then, from the UK to Thailand for processing and back again. Seems like China has muscled into that.

At the time a lot of their prawn dishes and snacks came from Thailand and they followed the Iceland staff here helping to develop new snacks. I've been waiting to see if they sell any of their pork or prawn snacks that originate from Thailand, some of which were very tasty. It would be like sending coal to Newcastle!
Talk is cheap
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Yes strange indeed, but in one of the posts which were recently deleted, a poster mentioned that packaging for cod fillets from Makro also indicated that the product was produced in China.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

We're going off topic here, but wasn't there a lot of publicity a couple of years ago about some sort of shrimp being transported from Thailand to Scotland (or may have been the other way around) for packaging?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:55 am We're going off topic here, but wasn't there a lot of publicity a couple of years ago about some sort of shrimp being transported from Thailand to Scotland (or may have been the other way around) for packaging?
That's what Iceland did, quite a bit of their stuff came to Thailand fir processing and packaging, irrespective of it's origin. Now China seems to be used in the same way.
Talk is cheap
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

I love when BB goes off topic. It's like at school when you get the nice teacher to talk about his holidays or something instead of the lesson. :D