Nescafe

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Big Boy

Nescafe

Post by Big Boy »

I love my coffee, and drink a lot of it each day. However, I don't like real/posh coffee - I'm addicted to Nescafe Original Granules (yes, I know some of you will say that means I don't like coffee, but it is what has hit the mark with my taste buds for over 40 years :oops: ).

Over the last few weeks it has changed, big time. It's now like drinking a powdery liquid, and there's a muddy residue at the bottom of each cup.

My son has looked it up, and it seems Nestle have 'improved' their product worldwide, and are rapidly losing customers as a result. I have one box left, which I won't waste, but I will be seeking an alternative when that has gone. Such a shame, because I've been part of their captive market since the mid-70s. Not sure what the alternative will be, but Nescafe is now history in my household.

Why fix something that isn't broke?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Nescafe

Post by Nereus »

Have you tried Nescafe Gold? They stuffed around with this also sometime ago, and now there is two grades. One is Gold Blend, the other just marked as Gold. It comes in various size glass jars, so it may be worth while trying a small one.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Reminds me of the Coca-Cola disaster.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:52 am I love my coffee, and drink a lot of it each day. However, I don't like real/posh coffee - I'm addicted to Nescafe Original Granules (yes, I know some of you will say that means I don't like coffee, but it is what has hit the mark with my taste buds for over 40 years :oops: ).

Over the last few weeks it has changed, big time. It's now like drinking a powdery liquid, and there's a muddy residue at the bottom of each cup.

My son has looked it up, and it seems Nestle have 'improved' their product worldwide, and are rapidly losing customers as a result. I have one box left, which I won't waste, but I will be seeking an alternative when that has gone. Such a shame, because I've been part of their captive market since the mid-70s. Not sure what the alternative will be, but Nescafe is now history in my household.

Why fix something that isn't broke?
I'm sure you can bet money on the fact that the "improved" version is cheaper for them to produce, but if it ends up in lost revenue then they'll end up worse off - shooting the self in the foot springs to mind. Can't offer an alternative other than what would be my choice of Nescafé Gold Blend...... unless they've changed that?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

We used to drink Gold Blend in the wardroom when I was seconded to the Iranian Navy. I preferred real Nescafe, but it was a decent alternative. I wasn't going to consider it, assuming if they've 'improved' one recipe, they'd probably do them all. However, on Nereus' recommendation, I'll try a jar of Gold and a jar of Gold Blend.

Points 41; Position 18
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Interesting that you posted about this BB because I have experienced the exact same thing. A VERY noticeable difference, to the point where I was even wondering if I had bought a batch of "fake" Nescafe.

Like you, I have been drinking Nescafe nearly all my life, and plenty of it as well, but I will be joining you in trying to find a decent alternative.

I do love real coffee, but just too much hassle and too expensive for me.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

If me, I wouldn't necessarily stick with a Nescafe brand just because of the name, especially now that it seems they have lost customer trust. There are many other choices out there. Just buy a small bottle or envelope and try each that available here.

For something really nice there are Bon Cafe whole beans for about 120 baht a bag and you'll get somewhere around 30+ cups (3/4 of a mug full) per bag. The only real expense is the combo coffee grinder/maker, but that would last you for years probably giving you a per cup cost of less than using an instant brand. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've just come back from Tesco, where I did a little research. I must say, I was a little shocked at the cost of Gold Blend and even the Tesco Gold. Then I saw the Moccona on sale. I remembered somebody kindly bought me a jar a couple of years ago, and it wasn't that bad. Anyway, I've invested in a jar, and noticed the refill packs are about the same cost as Nescafe.
DSC02211.jpg
DSC02211.jpg (85.1 KiB) Viewed 3276 times
Now to try it :munch:

Points 41; Position 18
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

IMHO Nescafe is drinkable only if one is sufficiently desperate for caffeine. As are all other instants. Then I tried Moccona Classic Medium Roast. It's OK. Then, and only because the instant coffee was included in the meal, I tried Nescafe Red Cup. Better than OK. It ain't great, but I've no complaints and stopped buying Moccona.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

I find the Nescafe Gold blend milder than red cup and is okay without creamer. Cost-wise I won't pay for a slight difference in my opinion. Not really a coffee drinker. Have gravitated over to the Moccona 3-in-1 Green packs and quite like it.
วินเชนท์
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Closest I've found to American coffee is Moccona Royal Gold.
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Re: RE: Re: Nescafe

Post by Henry 14th »

RCer wrote:Closest I've found to American coffee is Moccona Royal Gold.
Agreed. This is the best instant coffee I've found.

Sent from my SM-J500G using Tapatalk

Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

prcscct wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:22 pm If me, I wouldn't necessarily stick with a Nescafe brand just because of the name, especially now that it seems they have lost customer trust. There are many other choices out there. Just buy a small bottle or envelope and try each that available here.

For something really nice there are Bon Cafe whole beans for about 120 baht a bag and you'll get somewhere around 30+ cups (3/4 of a mug full) per bag. The only real expense is the combo coffee grinder/maker, but that would last you for years probably giving you a per cup cost of less than using an instant brand. Pete :cheers:
prcscct

We used there coffee beans when they had a
place on Naebkehardt Rd. If I remember 500 grams was Baht 80 but we got it cheaper as we used to buy 10 Kg at a time, but that was early 2000's. Also bought one of there coffee machines that ground and made the coffee to your liking.
Have to agree that Gold Blend is a good instant coffee and we keep a standby jar in the cupboard at home. 👍
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Well, several cups on, I think the Moccona will do. No more drinking that powdery gunge, and no half inch of mud at the bottom of the cup - it really was putting me off coffee. I might experiment with the various colours, but at least I can enjoy it again.

The bad news is that Mrs BB has checked, and I still have 3 boxes of Nescafe in the cupboard. I've no desire to drink them.

Points 41; Position 18
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

What about tea BB?Are you fussy about the blend too?