Bluport wine/beer bar - drinks + 10pct service + 7pct VAT on top.

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Re: Bluport wine/beer bar - drinks + 10pct service + 7pct VAT on top.

Post by laphanphon »

Places that apply SC, I will usually not visit, unless highly recommended for food, AND .... CS, as a 10 % tip is high, except in the USA, where tipping is part of the salary, based on receiving such, and 15 % is standard. Though 20 % is so much easier to calculate, and since working in the restaurant / bar industry for short stints when needing extra money, appreciated and reciprocate with a tip 'well earned'

EU, Thailand, really aren't tipping locations, and from what I know and worker in the industry here, do NOT receive any of that SC, and just an add on fee for the bottom line.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

StevePIraq wrote:Not according to my wifes two nieces who work at different restaurants in BP, they only get their salary and any cash left on the table by customers is shared amongst all staff, ALL of the bill has to go in the till
But do those restaurants charge the 10% service charge in the first place?
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Yes 10 + 7 on basic cost of meals
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

So what SHOULD the 10% be used for?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Lining the pockets of the business owner. Seriously though there is no real way to know what the 10 % is unless you personally know the owner/manager and they tell you the truth.
If the 10% is a tip for staff then we should not be tipping extra, if it is a tip and we tip extra the staff are doing quite well which is good as my two nieces get paid 300Baht a day for 10 hours a day plus travelling but they don't get the 10%
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I'm pretty sure BB that for a lot of restaurants, it's no more than an increase in their profit, and certainly if it isn't shared out with the staff as often seems to be the case, their can't be any other reason.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Slightly off topic, but this is what they should o instead of service charges
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Don't suggest such things in Thailand or they may make it compulsory for foreigner's after all we are all rich aren't we.