Pies in Hua Hin

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
PeteC

Re: The best Pork Pie in Hua Hin

Post by PeteC »

M (mezzanine) is sometimes said to be the 1st floor. Some elevators indicate G M 2. I've never seen G M 1. G can sometimes be represented by an L (lobby). Most Chinese buildings skip 4, meaning 5 is really 4. Many western buildings skip 13 meaning 14 is 13. No porky pies here. :shock: :laugh: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:lach:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

mezzanine...............
I always thought that it was a place to keep pork pies. :rasta:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Nereus wrote:
mezzanine...............
I always thought that it was a place to keep pork pies. :rasta:
As opposed to a pizzanine...?
This is the way
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

And the condo I stay at in Bkk has 'A' where 13 should be. No trace of pork pies or pizza here!
Talk is cheap
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I found out quite by chance this afternoon that in Thailish, "porcupine" is pronounced "porkypie". So beware as what you get for supper may not be what you think. :shock: :alien: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

prcscct wrote:I found out quite by chance this afternoon that in Thailish, "porcupine" is pronounced "porkypie". So beware as what you get for supper may not be what you think. :shock: :alien: Pete :cheers:
You wouldn't need a toothpick
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

caller wrote:I hate all this talk of pork pies, I now have one in the fridge from that aussie brand available at VM. I picked that up at Sukhumvit soi26 yesterday..............
You do know that these things are made in Phuket? I buy the chicken or mince sometimes, but they are expensive at 120 Baht. The smaller pork pie is 100 Baht, but I have not tried the one I bought yesterday yet.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Nereus wrote:
caller wrote:I hate all this talk of pork pies, I now have one in the fridge from that aussie brand available at VM. I picked that up at Sukhumvit soi26 yesterday..............
You do know that these things are made in Phuket? I buy the chicken or mince sometimes, but they are expensive at 120 Baht. The smaller pork pie is 100 Baht, but I have not tried the one I bought yesterday yet.
No I didn't know they were made in Phuket, but I doubted they were genuinely from Australia. When I said 'aussie' brand I was really referring to the 'aussie pie' logo they use, which is how I refer to them. I have bought a steak pie from them that was okay, so that was my one and only previous experience with them.

But the pork pie I had was far from good, it was pretty tasteless and even Colemans couldn't come to the rescue. Nor did the pastry case seem classic pork pie to me and I threw half of it away. A failed experiment, IMO. But it would be interesting to get a 2nd opinion.
Talk is cheap
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

caller wrote:
Nereus wrote:
But the pork pie I had was far from good, it was pretty tasteless and even Colemans couldn't come to the rescue. Nor did the pastry case seem classic pork pie to me and I threw half of it away. A failed experiment, IMO. But it would be interesting to get a 2nd opinion.
Well, YUK! I only bought the horrible thing because of this thread. I defrosted it overnight, plus out of the fridge a couple of hours before heating it up. Used the turbo oven at 200 degrees C for 15 minutes, despite the instructions stating 10 minutes. The crust on the pastry looked good, but when I opened it up a watery mess oozed out! Tasteless crap!

Just wondering if the thing had been defrosted during shipment? All of the other types that I have had have been good. Usually cook them the same way, except about 25 minutes as they are a lot bigger. :(
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

^^maybe the final proof that size is important :rasta:
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Nereus wrote:Well, YUK! I only bought the horrible thing because of this thread. I defrosted it overnight, plus out of the fridge a couple of hours before heating it up. Used the turbo oven at 200 degrees C for 15 minutes, despite the instructions stating 10 minutes. The crust on the pastry looked good, but when I opened it up a watery mess oozed out! Tasteless crap!(
To be honest, I don't get this thing about eating pork pies hot, as an important ingredient is jelly, that's probably the watery mess that oozed out! Mind you, I wouldn't recommend eating that particular pork pie cold either.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think it is definitely a Northern thing, and the liquid jelly mixes very well with the mushy peas. However, I love my pork pies chilled as well. I tend to eat the lid, and then send my tongue in hunting the jelly. :munch:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

and the liquid jelly mixes very well with the mushy peas.
I will take your word for it, Big Boy. :shock:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote:I tend to eat the lid, and then send my tongue in hunting the jelly. :munch:
Is that suitable for a family forum! :shock: :D
Talk is cheap