Zampone - how to eat?

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Zampone - how to eat?

Post by Takiap »

Okay I know this may seem like a daft question, but here goes............

I bought a packet of sliced zampone from Makro, which you will find in the same area where you find bacon, ham and etc. Can anyone advise me as to how you are meant to prepare/eat this? I have only fried it, but it spits like crazy, to the point where it is simply not worth the hassle.

Does it even need to be "cooked", or can you just heat it up a bit and use on sandwiches?

Thanks for any advice. :cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Big Boy

Re: Zampone - how to eat?

Post by Big Boy »

LOL - never heard of it, so I looked it up.............. stuffed pig's trotter with spicy ground pork, usually dried and cured, often served with lentils.

Sounds interesting :D

[Edit] Everything I've read suggests boiling before consumption.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

How do you stuff a pig's foot, de-bone it? :shock:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon »

Big Boy wrote:
[Edit] Everything I've read suggests boiling before consumption.
From what I've seen I would agree BB, however I would think it likely that the boiling would take place whilst the trotter is in one piece, therefore if Takiap has bought sliced Zampone, I would suspect it's already been cooked and is good to go..........but I'm certainly not an expert :naughty:
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

Takiap wrote:...to the point where it is simply not worth the hassle.
You may have stumbled across your answer! We saw this stuff a lot when we lived in Italy, especially around Christmas when it was one of the traditional foodstuffs (along with panettone) to give friends and relatives. I bought one for my brother-in-law one time; he never thanked me for it!

The instructions said to heat it, either in the oven or through boiling along with some form of broth. I'm pretty sure it's already cooked or cured during preparation so that you could eat it without reheating, if you felt so inclined.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

I found several references to cooking it. Google "how to cook zampone"
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

I wonder, all those members of this site, mostly native english, do they ever heard about GOOGLE ? If you want to try a new food (an Italian sausage) you will certainly find all reliable informations on google.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

europtimiste wrote:I wonder, all those members of this site, mostly native english, do they ever heard about GOOGLE ? If you want to try a new food (an Italian sausage) you will certainly find all reliable informations on google.
So why not abolish all interpersonal communication forthwith and have done with it............???!!! :neener:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I had a look on the web out of curiosity and some recipes fry thick slices of it in breadcrumbs which were the only ones pictured that looked even vaguely appetising. In it's whole state it looks like something that would go down well in an Issan market!
gerryha

Post by gerryha »

Bought this a while ago. Tried it "raw", warmed in stock, fried and microwaved for a few seconds. I concluded that no matter how I ate it I just wasnt keen on it. I pride myself on trying new foods but the one thing I cannot bring myself to try is those big fat frogs that look like they should be a "doctor Who" monster.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

I had it once a few years ago, on New years Eve, in a little family trattoria in Florence.

It was served sliced (no bone) with a Balsamic mustard, crisp pork crackling, sauté potatoes and lentils.
Very nice. Maybe not to everyone's taste, but then I do love Italian food.
Variations on the dish are served all over Italy, around New Year.

:cheers:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.