Coffee in Hua Hin

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Nothappyjan

Coffee in Hua Hin

Post by Nothappyjan »

Starbucks coffee is ok but hopelessly overpriced for Thailand, it is even more expensive than Australia but for some inexplicable reason it remains the coffee of choice.
Today by sheer chance I discovered a great coffee shop downstairs at MV. It was the best coffee I have had in ages, certainly the best I have had in Hua Hin. The shop is called Koon and is run by two very competent girls who take pride in what they do, and best of all they serve great coffee at a fraction of the price charged by Starbucks.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Coffee in Hua Hin

Post by Homer »

Thanks. Useful to know, but rarely expected on this forum, would have been such details as location, whether the beans were robusta , arabica or a blend and which of their 21 coffee varieties you tried. I'd noticed the place before so gave it a try. I know enough about coffee to appreciate a strong cup of Americano from a bold roast of robusta beans. I'll be back.
wpcoe
Professional
Professional

Post by wpcoe »

So we *still* don't know where the shop is? :?

"Downstairs in MV" is a rather large place...
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Come on guys, it's not like you're being sent to the other side of the moon, you have the name and it's the ground floor of MV - while your having a look for the shop, you might just find something else of interest........if not there's always Starbucks
Hinway
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Hinway »

Coffee at the shop opposite Salesian school is to my liking.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

wpcoe wrote:"Downstairs in MV" is a rather large place...
Especially if like some you think MV has 3 floors.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Hinway wrote:Coffee at the shop opposite Salesian school is to my liking.
True, but how often does one go to Hong Kong?
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Dannie Boy wrote:Come on guys, it's not like you're being sent to the other side of the moon, you have the name and it's the ground floor of MV - while your having a look for the shop, you might just find something else of interest........if not there's always Starbucks
The moon? What's the matter, you couldn't think of some place in the solar system that man has not yet orbited? Ground floor? In the US, it would be called the basement.

For the lack of a single sentence by the OP about location, each person trying to find the shop will spend far more time locating it than it would have taken to write some clues. Thanks.

Best description I've ever heard from a Yank about Brit expats usually being unable or unwilling to give directions or location above grade 'Vague' was about the reason why the British isles were successfully invaded so often by so many. When asked where the invaders were, the person(s) reporting the invasion waved their arm over a 45 degree angle and said 'Over there.'
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

A report recently stated that Costa’s largest chai latte was found to contain 20 teaspoons of sugar, while an extra large Signature hot chocolate from Starbucks contained 15 teaspoons, double the daily adult maximum. :et the buyer beware.
Why do you think people are hooked in them.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... sta-coffee
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
mbutt
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mbutt »

Best description I've ever heard from a Yank about Brit expats usually being unable or unwilling to give directions or location above grade 'Vague' was about the reason why the British isles were successfully invaded so often by so many. When asked where the invaders were, the person(s) reporting the invasion waved their arm over a 45 degree angle and said 'Over there.'
Best description I've ever heard from a Brit about the reason why America has invaded so many. When asked where the enemies were, the person(s) reporting the enemies position waved their arm over a 270 degree angle and said "Over there"
mbutt
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mbutt »

Best description I've ever heard from a Brit about the reason why America has invaded so many. When asked where the enemies were, the person(s) reporting the enemies position waved their arm over a 270 degree angle and said "Wherever there be oil"
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Getting back to the topic rather than childish jibes. When I get back in a few months I will have to try the place out and am sure if it entails a wander around the lower level it will not spoil the visit. If I like the coffee they brew then more visits will be in order. Ultimately is it personal choice as there are so many factors involved in a cup of coffee, amongst them the actual coffee itself, temperature, grind, cleanliness of equipment and a host of others but importantly personal preference.
Does anywhere roast their own beans in the area. I always remember a shop in Southampton High St that did so and the smell emanating from it magnificent. This was probably what led me to start drinking coffee.
I use Starbucks because it is open at seven in the morning, offers a consistent taste and the ambience of the place suits my needs at the time when I go there.
Suggestions and recommendations are always welcome as some variety does no harm at all.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

There is a place on the Pala U Road that roasts coffee beans and sells to major distributors, about 5km out of town on the left, just after the Green Shop on the right. Sorry I do not know the name of the place.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon »

Gregjam wrote:Does anywhere roast their own beans in the area. I always remember a shop in Southampton High St that did so and the smell emanating from it magnificent.
There used to be a place in Putney High St., right next to the mainline train station, that did the same. The people that owned it were obviously quiet shrewd, as they had an extractor fan in the front window of the shop, so the smell of the roasting coffee would hit the commuters getting off the trains smack in the face as they exited the station :thumb:

But I digress :offtopic:
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

StevePIraq wrote:There is a place on the Pala U Road that roasts coffee beans and sells to major distributors, about 5km out of town on the left, just after the Green Shop on the right. Sorry I do not know the name of the place.
Steve, I doubt if he sells to MAJOR distributors, it's cheap average coffee at best, half the price of anything decent.

EDIT : I'm no expert BTW but I've tried all his variety of beans and average taste at best but it is cheap. I'm sure I pay the same amount there for a 500g bag as others charge for a 250g bag.

It was called simply 'Coffee Coffee' now called 'Ajarn Coffee' if I remember correctly. :thumb:
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.