Can anyone name this dish?

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
nil
Professional
Professional

Post by nil »

I bought a bag of it from a roadside food stall thinking it was a green chicken curry. It looks like the chicken curry but is less spicy and also has giant cubic lumps of dark jelly in it. Didn't try the jelly stuff as I thought it might be chicken blood or something.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Re: Can anyone name this dish?

Post by centermid7 »

99% that so called "dark jelly" IS chicken blood.

Personally I don't eat that shiitt.
JD
Legend
Legend

Post by JD »

Sounds like แกงเขียวหวาน - Gang keown wan gai. A mild curry with chicken blood. Sometimes has bamboo shoots in it, sometimes doesn't even have chicken in it only the chicken blood.
Per Angusta In Augusta.
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.facebook.com/huahinhamandbacon
www.hamandbacon.co.th
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Some places (e.g. market, food court) will put chicken blood in chicken green curry. You can ask them not to. Most restaurants that I've eaten it in don't, possibly because even many Thais don't like it. I looked up a few recipes on the web and none of the ones I found included it, though some mentioned the possibility.

As an aside, I would certainly recommend pig blood soup as a weight loss aid - I once lost 5 kg in only 2 days after one bowl. A bit painful though. :)
nil
Professional
Professional

Post by nil »

It came out of one of those big cooking pots. Next time I'll give it a stir myself to see if theres anything nasty lurking inside!