What kind of water in coffee ?

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
fft100
Professional
Professional

What kind of water in coffee ?

Post by fft100 »

Been here for many many years and this morning something happened that made me think. In a not so cheap place and wanted a coffee. They couldn't make one (through a cappuccino/esspreso machine) because the water is off. A pot of tea was possible as they use bottled water for that.

Which sets me thinking given some of the not so good water here - I have had and seen good and very bad water sample reports.

Is it normal for tap water to be used in cafes and restaurants ? At home I have a multiple filter system so no problem using tap water in the kettle.

Any thoughts ?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: What kind of water in coffee ?

Post by Dannie Boy »

fft100 wrote:Been here for many many years and this morning something happened that made me think. In a not so cheap place and wanted a coffee. They couldn't make one (through a cappuccino/esspreso machine) because the water is off. A pot of tea was possible as they use bottled water for that.

Which sets me thinking given some of the not so good water here - I have had and seen good and very bad water sample reports.

Is it normal for tap water to be used in cafes and restaurants ? At home I have a multiple filter system so no problem using tap water in the kettle.

Any thoughts ?
I believe that a lot of the restaurants get the big white 5 gallon water bottles supplied which I'm sure they use for making drinks like tea and coffee.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

[quote="Dannie Boy"

Any thoughts ?[/quote]
I believe that a lot of the restaurants get the big white 5 gallon water bottles supplied which I'm sure they use for making drinks like tea and coffee.[/quote]

The question that springs to mind with the large water bottles what have they been used for before as they go through the the recycling process. How effective is the sterilization and what is the quality of the refill water.

In our household we use single use sealed bottled water for drinking/coffee/tea.
Plastic water bottle or machine water for cooking. Tap water for washing showering etc. From a risk management perspective we wish to avoid an uneccesary contribution to the Bangkok hospital coffers.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Bluesky wrote:From a risk management perspective we wish to avoid an uneccesary contribution to the Bangkok hospital coffers.
That is easy, go elsewhere.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Big Boy wrote:
Bluesky wrote:From a risk management perspective we wish to avoid an uneccesary contribution to the Bangkok hospital coffers.
That is easy, go elsewhere.
My response has nothing to to do with whether I would or would not go to Bankok Hospital. It simply states we wish to avoid an uneccessary contribution...foresight of consequence!
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

So why mention it then :?

Anyway, were getting off topic here, so :offtopic: please.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

Dannie Boy wrote:
fft100 wrote:Been here for many many years and this morning something happened that made me think. In a not so cheap place and wanted a coffee. They couldn't make one (through a cappuccino/esspreso machine) because the water is off. A pot of tea was possible as they use bottled water for that.

Any thoughts ?
I believe that a lot of the restaurants get the big white 5 gallon water bottles supplied which I'm sure they use for making drinks like tea and coffee.
And just what is it that make you so "sure"?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

centermid7 wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote:

Any thoughts ?
And just what is it that make you so "sure"?
Well I've certainly seen some of the restaurants do it with my own eyes and when you look around, nearly all of the restaurants have many of the large water bottles - so it doesn't seem unreasonable to assume they buy them for use in their restaurants. I guess to be certain you should ask them the source of the water they use?
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

We use the 5 gallons water bottles for cooking and drinking from the same company that most of our neighbor use,and never have or heard of any problems about the water,they come 2 times aweek ,and change the empty one we put outside,15 baht per bottle.

I would be more concern about shower in water that been sucked up from the klong, and transported in trucks to your house,but as we say, we need a daily amount of bacteria, so we don't get sick :wink:

:cheers: :cheers:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I drink a lot of tea when I'm at home in Thailand and I've always used the water out of those 5L reusable bottles from a local shop without any bother at all. ( I must admit that I don't bother too much with risk management procedures before making a hot drink in my own kitchen! )
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I have started using the 5l plastic for cooking, and drinking. No problems at all.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Geko
Professional
Professional

Post by Geko »

fft100 what did you learn from your post?

Guess its up to you to ask the resteraunt you are in if you can check out the water supply to their coffee machine.

If the machine is supplied by a large 5L bottle ok, well it depends maybe they just fill the large bottles from the town water tap in the kitchen. I checked the restaurant I use regularly and their coffee machine is quite a large one and uses a 5L bottle to supply water, it is not piped into the mains supply, but I must admit I have never seen 5L bottles been delivered, but I might be wrong.

If the machine is supplied by the town water supply via an in house filter, is it the correct filter for the job has it been maintained correctly?

So I guess thats why I just drink beer.