Sofitel HH afternoon tea ?

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Arlo
Professional
Professional

Re: Sofitel HH afternoon tea ?

Post by Arlo »

What is afternoon tea? Is that the same as going to a coffee shop for a cup of coffee in the afternoon or a cold beer at the bar but instead you go to a place that specializes in tea? Someone mentioned paying 650 baht for afternoon tea so I am thinking this might be some sort of lunch and imported teas?
dalmatiandave
Professional
Professional

Post by dalmatiandave »

Suggest you Google it or look at website for Centara, might have some info.

Afternoon tea is a British institution. It is usually served in top class hotels. Singapore, Hong Kong, India, these are places also where you will find it served.

Just Google it.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Yes 650b for afternoon tea is a little pricy--but as a special offer, if you come to my house about 4.30pm, I'll do you a cucumber sandwich and a mug of Teteys for 599b.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

oakdale160 wrote:Yes 650b for afternoon tea is a little pricy--but as a special offer, if you come to my house about 4.30pm, I'll do you a cucumber sandwich and a mug of Teteys for 599b.

Can I have a ham and tomato sandwich with majo? - it's cheaper, 450 Baht
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Yes my Nordic friend, not only H&T but also picked herring sandwiches too. (and its maYo not maJo)
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

oakdale160 wrote:Yes my Nordic friend, not only H&T but also picked herring sandwiches too. (and its maYo not maJo)
...agreed, its mayo. I actually start to think I should have chedar cheese and pickles instead - how much for that one?
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I have just read your other post and can only say I hope all goes well, hope you caught it early, but I dont feel very jokey.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

oakdale160 wrote:I have just read your other post and can only say I hope all goes well, hope you caught it early, but I dont feel very jokey.

I can joke because it is going well - I added a post for clarification. August 2015 is 6 months ago and we have most of the efforts and challenges behind us. My wife sits next to me at the kitchen table as I write, enjoying her crab and rice dinner with Thum yum. All is good now.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

OK in that case, chheese and pickle---- NO problem
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

oakdale160 wrote:OK in that case, chheese and pickle---- NO problem
....with an apple, a packadge of crisps and can of Fanta Orange pls.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

We should really get this thread back on subject before Lev or BB send us to detention.
English afternoon tea is not a meal it isa ritual. The nutritional value is trivial. Cucumber sandwiches are often a feature and delicate little pastries. The tea (Loose leaf, of course) must be in a China pot and the food served on China plates. The tea , Ceylon is preferred but possibly, Earl Grey or Himalayan (I forget the name) is possible. If milk is used it must be placed in the cup first, not added to the tea after it is poured. Conversation should be quiet and inconsequential although complaining about the servants and the general crudeness of the working classes is allowed.
Arlo
Professional
Professional

Post by Arlo »

oakdale160 wrote:We should really get this thread back on subject before Lev or BB send us to detention.
English afternoon tea is not a meal it isa ritual. The nutritional value is trivial. Cucumber sandwiches are often a feature and delicate little pastries. The tea (Loose leaf, of course) must be in a China pot and the food served on China plates. The tea , Ceylon is preferred but possibly, Earl Grey or Himalayan (I forget the name) is possible. If milk is used it must be placed in the cup first, not added to the tea after it is poured. Conversation should be quiet and inconsequential although complaining about the servants and the general crudeness of the working classes is allowed.
Thanks Oakdale for the info, I don't think this would be my cup of tea. I enjoy tea and sandwiches but for that price I would rather have a nice steak or some sushi. I can make a cup of tea and a cucumber sandwich anytime so I can't see how this type of thing could be anything special. I have been to that hotel a few times to check it out and it didn't cost me anything, I even got to see a car show there for free so I just can't see why paying a price like that to sit at a nice hotel and have tea is worth it. Then again I am not English so perhaps that has a lot to do with it.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I am not English but a Commonwealth cousin of the English. Afternoon tea was a symbol in the days of the Empire, you might be living in some inhospitable hellhole with native people ready to slaughter you but at 4pm you sat down for afternoon tea as if you were living on some leafy lane in Surrey. It was a sign that you were bringing civilisation to the furthest corner of the world. As I said, its not a meal its a ritual.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Think Oscar Wilde, The Importance of being Earnest.

teatime.jpg
teatime.jpg (65.99 KiB) Viewed 588 times
This is the way
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

It's not so much what you eat, but where you eat it - for some people they love the idea of being able to say "we had afternoon tea at the Ritz in London" knowing it will cause raised eyebrows in the knowledge that it costs about £45 per person, possibly more these days. I guess that the Sofitel is HH's equivalent to the Ritz.