Sofitel HH afternoon tea ?

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Sofitel HH afternoon tea ?

Post by oakdale160 »

I never did that but have gone for Roast Beef lunch at Simpsons on the Strand, another, its not the food its the place experience.
dalmatiandave
Professional
Professional

Post by dalmatiandave »

Arlo wrote:
oakdale160 wrote:We should really get this thread back on subject before Lev or BB send us to detention.
English afternoon tea is not a meal it isa ritual. The nutritional value is trivial. Cucumber sandwiches are often a feature and delicate little pastries. The tea (Loose leaf, of course) must be in a China pot and the food served on China plates. The tea , Ceylon is preferred but possibly, Earl Grey or Himalayan (I forget the name) is possible. If milk is used it must be placed in the cup first, not added to the tea after it is poured. Conversation should be quiet and inconsequential although complaining about the servants and the general crudeness of the working classes is allowed.
Thanks Oakdale for the info, I don't think this would be my cup of tea. I enjoy tea and sandwiches but for that price I would rather have a nice steak or some sushi. I can make a cup of tea and a cucumber sandwich anytime so I can't see how this type of thing could be anything special. I have been to that hotel a few times to check it out and it didn't cost me anything, I even got to see a car show there for free so I just can't see why paying a price like that to sit at a nice hotel and have tea is worth it. Then again I am not English so perhaps that has a lot to do with it.
Have u never done anything special, something that is not the norm, something you will remember in a romantic or beautiful location.

Sometimes these special occasions cost more than a 40 baht Phad Thai; that's why they are special to those who are willing to pay extra for the experience and why I and my girlfriend enjoyed it as part of my birthday.

I won't even bother to tell you how many thousands I paid for the room and the evening dinner in their fine restaurant, you would obviously have difficulty in comprehending that. I just like to step out of my cosy existence and have that special moment once in a while. Afternoon tea at the Centara for me was different and very special.

You could have just said you can't afford the deal, I could just then have shown you respect.
Arlo
Professional
Professional

Post by Arlo »

I am not knocking you or anyone for having tea. I didn't know exactly what it was so I asked. From what I have been told it just doesn't sound like it's for me. If you had a nice time having tea then that is great. I am not disrespecting you or anyone who chooses to do this. I have no problems spending money when and where I want but for me tea and cookies would not be that place. Please don't take my opinion about afternoon tea personally, it's nothing against you. I guess I just can't see having tea as something special and as I said in my last post it must be a British thing and I am not British. Different strokes for different folks!
Harry Palmer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Harry Palmer »

To be honest it's not going to be my favorite event of our stay in HH but it's all a matter of give and take, I can't have it all my own way, going to bars, discos etc.

Then the Gogo bars in Pattaya, so one afternoon teas is no big deal.